Unhappy with course, don't know what to do!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmbienceTreat

Reaction score
I guess this is the best place to ask....

I was ready to go self employed and do this full time from July onwards
But the course has been organised so badly that now instead of being qualified in July we now have to continue until October and I've been told we're lucky we're not being charges EXTRA!!!

I hate the facility we are bringing clients to- there is no ventilaton, hot water or proper heating. The lighting is dim at best so completing practical work is diffictult.

The exam papers have diagrams so faint you can't see them.

They don't have enough equipment for the class to do practical assessments.

They provide cheap, out of date products and electricals are not pat tested.

Sterilising equipment is minimal and insufficient.

We got taught to soak nails for manicure and use tip blender on extensions and these are not correct methods!

I bring people in for assessment, they pay, but then I have to re-do things for free as the products we get are cheap and nasty and from eBay and hong kong.

We keep getting promised a new purpose built salon and every week we arw tol not this week!

I feel conned and I'm certain I am a very good nail tech but I feel I've paid a lot of money for someone else to benefit at the new site !

They also rarely have any indemnity forms... If someone has a reaction who is responsible? Me or the college?

What can you do? You say this is a College course?

You can complain. There are procedures in place for complaints. You need to tell them loud and clear that you have serious issues with the whole course and want a complete refund. List everything you have listed in your post. Take it as far as you have to ... It sounds horrendous.

Then, get booked on to an excellent course from an established source with the best reputation and who uses excellent products.

Really sorry to hear you are having such a horrendous time of it .. But there is something you can do about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem I have is it's a TINY tiny town. Everyone else is just as annoyed but I don't think they'll back me up as they're only concerned with passing so they can trade, I am concerned that so much has been missed or mis taught! I read up on things and have no idea what 'capping a free edge' is and things like that. I have no idea what to do regards lifting etc. z I am so angry and feel I'll have no back up from anyone. I wanted to do so well but now I'll have to pay twice! Also the person running it is so rude and condescending and picks fault in front of clients. It's a nightmare!

By the way, I lost my job and also used my savings to pay for this course! £600 plus uniform, with little to no equipment provided and no help to put together learning kits or anything. I'd rather have paid a good chunk Koreans have a kit for each module... Like a gel kit or a silks kit.

By the way, I lost my job and also used my savings to pay for this course! £600 plus uniform, with little to no equipment provided and no help to put together learning kits or anything. I'd rather have paid a good chunk Koreans have a kit for each module... Like a gel kit or a silks kit.

Unfortunately it is all too familiar a story and one which is pointed out on Salon geek again and again.

Look, you have 2 choices. You don't need back up. It is YOUR complaint ... it doesn't have to be everyone elses.

You either go through the complaints procedure as mentioned or you suck it up, make the best of it and complete the course as best you can. There really is not any other option. This is something only you can decide.

Is there an awarding body that are backing the course/qaulification e.g. Edexcel, VTCT, HABIA, City & Guilds etc... I'd give them a call and ask their advise, I'm sure non of the above would not want their name associated with such practices!
As Geeg said follow the complaint procedure (they should have one in place)
Sorry to hear you are having such a bad time of it and hope you resolve this asap!

You must complain, this is your money and time !! If no one makes a complaint then it will just continue!! Do it!!! X

I decided I will make a complaint. I am going to call VTCT tomorrow and discuss it with them.

Btw ... I have no idea why my phone corrected something to 'Koreans', I just burst out laughing at my daughters karate class when I re read that! Got some funny looks !!!!:-D

Thank you for your advice and I'm off to buy Gigi's book!

My god that sounds terrible, you must complain! Get your money back and spend it on some worthwhile training.

Good luck, let us know how you get on

I decided I will make a complaint. I am going to call VTCT tomorrow and discuss it with them.

Btw ... I have no idea why my phone corrected something to 'Koreans', I just burst out laughing at my daughters karate class when I re read that! Got some funny looks !!!!:-D

Thank you for your advice and I'm off to buy Gigi's book!

Good for you. Its time more people grew a pair and stopped worrying about what the college will think or their fellow students will think.

It's scandalous how these people get away with providing the nastiest products that hinder the students' development and people who are not qualified to teach, somehow manage to get accreditation for courses that are WAY below the mark etc. It really is outrageous.

Tell you what, my friend, you go for it and when you are successful in pursuing your claim, I will give you a whole day free of charge 121 with me to move you along in your goal to become great at doing nails. HOW ABOUT THAT? You will have to get on a train to Leeds, but if you get yourself there, I will give you my time and expertise as a thank you for standing up to these charlatans!!

VCTC needs to know and you can tell them I said so. Here we are at CND supporting VCTC and providing the best for each and every student and there are oiks like this getting away with providing the lowest of the lowand their students getting the same award?? NO NO NO. Makes my blood boil.

Good for you!! Get yourself the training you deserve!! And take advantage of that wonderful offer from geeg x

Tell you what, my friend, you go for it and when you are successful in pursuing your claim, I will give you a whole day free of charge 121 with me to move you along in your goal to become great at doing nails. HOW ABOUT THAT? You will have to get on a train to Leeds, but if you get yourself there, I will give you my time and expertise as a thank you for standing up to these charlatans!!

WOW
Now that's an offer you should NOT refuse, if I were you I would be putting that complaint together right now.

Think of it this way, not only are you being true to yourself but by complaining you may get thing changed and save many more people being n the same situation as you are now.

Will be thinking about you, you have a lot of support on here if you need us x

Wow! Thank you! I am writing my list right now! Gigi I will be there within a second with an amazing offer like that! :) I will keep you all posted x

On the plus side, I think once you've done a course that you're not happy with, it gives you the knowledge and experience to help you find a course that is perhaps more likely to give you what you need next time.

Latest posts

Back