Uni of Birmingham, Beauty Therapy Management BA (Hons) top-up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex

Reaction score
To cut to the point, I grew up in a family that values academic achievement. So, when I chose to move into beauty, it wasn't the most acceptable decision. Having a bachelor's .degree would be like owning a rocket ship to my family, so it has always been something I aspired to.

My question is whether or not this course would be valuable to me. It's all fine and dandy wishing to have my family finally see that I do more than " paint nails" but is it worth the expense to my career.

Any advice is appreciated and I realise that I shouldn't let my family dictate my future but that's something for therapy to deal with so I would rather receive advice relating to professional development.

Studying for a Degree costs money as well as effort, so there’s no point paying out thousands in fees if you’re not really interested and determined to succeed. Sadly, I’ve seen plenty of students who felt railroaded by parents expectations into signing up for a degree course and to drop out before completing it. They still have student loans to pay off and a long term fear of failure to deal with. You have to want to study for your own reasons.

Research your intended course thoroughly. Look at what it includes and the add-on options available. The Birmingham MBA is well respected so I assume their undergraduate business degrees are of a good standard too. Recent graduates typically change careers (not jobs) at least twice in their working lifetime so a general business/management degree would be a good foundation to have.

Speaking as someone with 2 degrees and who used to work in a red brick Uni, I’d say education is never a waste even if you don’t need it for a particular career path. It teaches you a lot more than just how to critically analyse a piece of information.

You can tell your parents that there are plenty of well educated Geeks working in the hair and beauty industry. They just don’t make a song and dance about it. :)

Latest posts

Back