Uniform; Really getting to me now

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iconic

Reaction score
Hi geeks,
Ok, so I opened a new salon just over 4 months ago now and I have a self employed beautician.
Upon opening we discussed uniform and said that we would wear plain black & white only.. At the beginning all was great but over the past couple of months she has really slipped and the things she is wearing is so unprofessional.. Today for example: pale jeans with ripped knees, a black studded belt, trainers and a festival tshirt!!!!! .. And she is a beautician!!!!!! I gave her a black tunic that I had and she wore it for all of 2 days and is back to looking like this?! .. I have now ordered tshirts for both of us, fitted plain black tops with the company logo printed on them.. Whether this will work long time, or if it will be a short term fad, I'm not sure.
If I employed her, I would feel fine to say that her workwear is unacceptable, but because she is self employed and renting a room off of me, I don't know how to approach the situation?
This is affecting the reputation of my salon and therefore my business also so something needs to change, but does anyone have any advice/tips on how to approach the topic?!
Thanks geeks.

i think if shes self employed you dont get Say- sorry. its my understanding that a uniform makes her an employee.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

What was included in the terms of the contract/agreement when you let the space to her?

If you included an agreement about dress code in the contract and she has broken it, you could raise this with her directly and point out that you may consider terminating the
agreement.

You may dictate a uniform or standard of dress if it's stated in the tenancy xoxo

The place I go to get my hair done has a beautician renting and she does the same! My hairdresser is at a lose what to do too.
I don't get it either! I work from home and always on my uniform.
Sorry I know this doesn't help much. X

I stated for the dress code to be 'tidy & professional' but didn't specifically put in writing 'black & white' clothing. This was a verbal agreement.
I did wonder where I stood with regards to her being self employed but at the end of the day, clients don't see us as separate businesses.. We are under the same roof and same salon and all I want Is for it to look and be professional but I feel that she may put off potential clients. I have spoken to her re: the tops I've had done and she seems keen to wear it but I'm unsure how long it will last or if there is much else I can do?

The place I go to get my hair done has a beautician renting and she does the same! My hairdresser is at a lose what to do too.
I don't get it either! I work from home and always on my uniform.
Sorry I know this doesn't help much. X

Grr it is so frustrating! X

Yes i get you point but she is her one baas so

Sit down & explain all the points you've just made to her! They are all reasonable, apart from it being awkward you've nothing to lose by talking to her, & more to lose by not addressing it.

Sit down & explain all the points you've just made to her! They are all reasonable, apart from it being awkward you've nothing to lose by talking to her, & more to lose by not addressing it.

I think I shall have to.
Thank you for all your advice and feedback. Fingers crossed all goes well.. Here's to a more professional image 👍 x

TBH, I don't see why it should make any difference if she is self employed. I employed self employed massage therapists and they wear black trousers and a t-shirt I provide.
Good luck.

TBH, I don't see why it should make any difference if she is self employed. I employed self employed massage therapists and they wear black trousers and a t-shirt I provide.
Good luck.

Thank you.. She seems keen to wear the tshirts I have had done, but I hope it lasts because it's not like I can tell her she MUST wear it when I dont employ her!

I am a self employed BT myself and I have my own space within an existing salon. I don't think its unreasonable at all to expect persons like myself to wear shop uniform. I don't have to wear the exact same uniform as everyone else but I chose to, the shop uniform is lovely and I was happy to fork out of my own pocket for it. Little things like this contribute as a whole to the professional image and the high or low standards of any salon.

I don't think your asking for much at all. Think back to our college days, if we turned up for our practical sessions at college we would have been sent straight home to change before we could perform treatments and that's a training environment, standards should be even higher in a working salon with full paying clients.

Best of luck with it all x

How the hell does she even have any clients !
I would put my foot down and just say it is unacceptable, you have to think of your reputation.
If I turned up to have a treatment and my therapist was dressed that way I would turn around and walk out, sorry but so unprofessional.
Hope you sort it out.
X

I dont think you are being unreasonable at all!

Is it written in the contract or just discussed verbally?

I would say something as although she is self employed its still your reputation that you need to think about. Im not sure why she wouldnt want to wear a uniform or look presentable?!

Im self employed (mobile) and always wear black trousers, and either a tunic or tshirt with my logo on.

Thank you leemac and jojo for your re-assurance. My mum said the exact same thing about walking out of the salon if she had a treatment booked and the therapist came out looking like that!.. I am trying my hardest to make the salon look and run as professional as possible and feel that she is bringing that image down :( .. Being new, we have a lot of competition too. I feel that so far I am doing well as I have had a lot of repeat custom and seeing as we have only been open for 4 months, we are relatively busy, but she moans that business is slow for her and I'm sure that her personal image is affecting this.. And therefore I want to act now before it possibly starts affecting me and negative comments start circulating! .. I have collected our tops tonight and am really pleased with them, so I shall be handing her hers tomorrow and fingers crossed she will start wearing them! I'm just hoping she doesn't wear them with jeans and trainers! Grr.. Actually, I am now thinking she might! Oh god, perhaps I should say what to wear with them when I give them to her? What do you guys think?

Tell her.

It is your salon, and your space and business she is in.

Even if she went on a one day course she would be expected to wear professional attire, why would she think jeans, trainers and T shirt would be acceptable?

Tell her.

It is your salon, and your space and business she is in.

Even if she went on a one day course she would be expected to wear professional attire, why would she think jeans, trainers and T shirt would be acceptable?

Very true. Thank you for your reassurance as well.
Hopefully when I give her her tops tomorrow, all will change for the better :) I shall be sure to say that I want the top to be worn with Black bottoms and shoes!

I'm not to sure about this one.

I agree it looks professional to wear a uniform although I think the colour and design should be of her own choosing not yours.

But it is her own business albeit within your business and I don't think I would like someone in this position to tell me what I have to wear.

If she is good at what she does I don't think it really matters what she is wearing. I would rather go to a therapist wearing ripped jeans who is a brilliant waxer than go to a not so good therapist wearing a smart uniform who can't wax for toffee.

If however you consider this to be a make or break condition of you sub-letting the area to her then you need to have that conversation.

Personally if youve stated in the tenancy/self employed contract that uniform is to be tidy and proffesional,then i dont see it a problem that you tell her she isnt looking that way.

I understand and agree to a point about how she dresses doesnt affect her ability to do her job and if shes good at it,then clients will see past how she dresses,however thats like a hairdresser thats self employed going to work with hair not styled/smart.You are your own advert in every sense of the word.

You could have the best business men in the world turn up to work in jeans and a t shirt and although it may be seen as wrong,they would be viewed very differntly to if they turned up in a suit.

Its a fickle world and unfortunatly as much as everyone likes to think its not whats on the outside,in our type of industries thats EXACTLY how it is.

If i was going in to a beautician/nail tech for a service and they looked scruffy or nails/make up wasnt done,i would wonder what their attitude to their work is which isnt the same as if they are good at what they do but can have the same effect.

After 17 years,3 kids and well over full time hours,throughout many sleepless nights and poorly kids i can hand on heart say ive always turned out well for work.

Just my opinion so dont bite my butt guys :lick:

Latest posts

Back