Uniform; Really getting to me now

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stated for the dress code to be 'tidy & professional' but didn't specifically put in writing 'black & white' clothing.

Hey honey

This sentence says all you need to know- ripped jeans etc is not imho deemed to be tidy and professional, nor would i think it be in most peoples if im honest.

Agreed if shes good at her job she could wear a bin bag and still be good. However her written contract states tidy and professional. As for black and white? As shes self employed i do think you would have a problem enforcing this. Remembering also that her business is also her business. However you can enforce professional and tidy.

Speak to her lovey and see how it goes.

Love n hugs xxx

I rent a space for nails in a small salon, before I started I asked about dress code/uniform but the owner said wear whatever you want..needless to say I went smart casual but in black/dark coloured clothing and it was fine. I usually wear black leggings and t-shirts that have long draped backs with black boots...a lot of our clients love the tops as they're unusual (one I have is like tank top but the back drops down to my calves and it has skulls all over it) but Im never scruffy, make up and hair is always done and clothes are ironed, not like I just rolled in from a festival!

Theres a difference in looking cool and professional or unkempt. My advice to you is explain that her appearance is too casual for the salon and you'd prefer that all people working in the salon dresses the same so it gives off an air of consistency to clients which will help grow both of your businesses while under the same roof. Hth!

Sent from my RACERII using SalonGeek

Thank you guys for your input.
I'm not even too bothered about the black and white dress code anymore as I understand I am not her employer however I really
would just appreciate cleanliness and professional looking which I would have thought would be the image she would want to portray anyway.
It's not even like she looks clean besides the clothes as she wears no makeup (not that I'm saying all BTs should wear make up) and her hair is always a mess too..
In the first month she was always well presented and in a beauty tunic, but it's weird how that has suddenly slipped And is now like this :(

Hey, just to let you know my friend told her someone complained about her not wearing a uniform because it's not hygienic and it seems to have done the trick! For now anyway! Her new problem is she's started using bluesky shellac and my friend is devastated! She doesn't know what to do about this?! X

If she has suddenly slipped could there be some problems outside work that's affecting her upkeep? I know this is no excuse but maybe you could raise the subject kindly? I personally wouldn't like it if I turned up for a treatment and the therapist was dressed in this way, no make up, hair a mess etc etc and I certainly wouldn't like anyone in my salon, employed or self employed turning up for work not in professional dress. I may even say a client has mentioned her choice of clothing haha (bad I know) this might make her think on. Good luck x

Hey, just to let you know my friend told her someone complained about her not wearing a uniform because it's not hygienic and it seems to have done the trick! For now anyway! Her new problem is she's started using bluesky shellac and my friend is devastated! She doesn't know what to do about this?! X

Oh dear!! I take it the girl has insurance so does her insurance company know she is using fake products? I think your friend is fighting a losing battle with her. I'm not sure how your friend stands with this issue but I'm sure another more knowledgeable geek will be able to give you some advice! X x

I'm not to sure about this one.

I agree it looks professional to wear a uniform although I think the colour and design should be of her own choosing not yours.

But it is her own business albeit within your business and I don't think I would like someone in this position to tell me what I have to wear.

If she is good at what she does I don't think it really matters what she is wearing. I would rather go to a therapist wearing ripped jeans who is a brilliant waxer than go to a not so good therapist wearing a smart uniform who can't wax for toffee.

If however you consider this to be a make or break condition of you sub-letting the area to her then you need to have that conversation.

I agree with this.

Maybe the way she dresses is part of her image and her business image. The way I see it is that is she considers the way she dresses to be a suitable way of representing her business then let her keep dressing how she chooses.

She's self employed so she's representing herself. If she was employed by you, that's when she would be representing your salon.

I appreciate that clients will associate her with your salon but as long as they keep coming back, is it really worth rocking the boat when you're not officially her boss?

From re reading and reading Luther posts, if you verbally stated that she has to wear a uniform or tunic etc... Before she signed the contract then it's legally binding, and with professional and smart being in the contract, professional is basically the stereotype uniform. Is it states she must look professional and smart then that includes makeup and hair, even some tinted moisturiser and a gloss or touch of eyeliner is enough and is minimal, hair brushed into a loose bun or ponytail would also suffice for me . It's in her contract and you can ask her to leave if you want to.

Could you get a lanyard in the salon colours and print the salon name out on paper to put in a card holder attached to the lanyard so she can wear her own UNIFORM.xoxo

Well I have now given her a couple of black tops that I had printed with the salon logo.. And for now, it seems to have done the trick!!! Fingers crossed it stays that way!! She has had them 2 days now and both days worn them with black trousers.. Albeit, with trainers still, but they are black and as I am not her boss, I shall Have to compromise with that I guess!! .. Now for the hair and makeup!! .. She doesn't wear foundation, but I recommended a nice bb cream to her and she actually went and bought it!! :-O .. Let the positives keep rolling! :) thanks geeks x

Bluesky shellac! :-O oh no, this would actually devastate me to the point of me considering giving her notice to leave.
I'm so glad my therapist is using all CND, the reason behind that could be because I supplied it all though! .. We only opened 4 months ago and for her the beauty side of things has been slow on picking up. We figured Shellac is what she needed as it was what everyone was asking for but she couldn't afford the initial outlay for it all and it was horrible seeing her struggling, so I bought it all to start her off and now shellac is what brings in her main income! X

Bluesky shellac! :-O oh no, this would actually devastate me to the point of me considering giving her notice to leave.
I'm so glad my therapist is using all CND, the reason behind that could be because I supplied it all though! .. We only opened 4 months ago and for her the beauty side of things has been slow on picking up. We figured Shellac is what she needed as it was what everyone was asking for but she couldn't afford the initial outlay for it all and it was horrible seeing her struggling, so I bought it all to start her off and now shellac is what brings in her main income! X

Aww aren't you so nice! I'm in need of a full stock of colours wink wink, but maybe she is still struggling financially and couldn't afford a new formal style uniform? Xoxo

Well the girl has to provide her own insurance as my friend just covers her and her junior but she doesn't believe she has any! She's good at hair but not at the beauty side so she doesn't know what to do. She's afraid it will give her shop a bad name which she doesn't want.

Well the girl has to provide her own insurance as my friend just covers her and her junior but she doesn't believe she has any! She's good at hair but not at the beauty side so she doesn't know what to do. She's afraid it will give her shop a bad name which she doesn't want.

Shouldn't she be checking? If this girl has to provide her own insurance and it was my salon I would want a copy to hold myself incase anything happened and it was sent to te salon not to the person xoxo

Last edited:
Aww aren't you so nice! I'm in need of a full stock of colours wink wink, but maybe she is still struggling financially and couldn't afford a new formal style uniform? Xoxo

Lol! ..
Yes, she is Struggling financially and I am aware of that which was my reasoning for helping out boost her business by supplying shellac as well as waiving a months rent and reducing another month by half! But I haven't asked her to fork out for new uniform, I would just appreciate tidiness and to be presentable which I know she is capable of because for the first month she was always in a tunic.. Anywhooo, the tops I had done are doing the trick at the mo :) x

Shouldn't she be clicking? If this girl has to provide her own insurance and it was my salon I would want a copy to hold myself incase anything happened and it was sent to te salon not to the person xoxo

Totally agree! I have a copy of my therapists insurance and both of ours are displayed behind reception x

Some people have no disapline, I blame the schools, private schools, you don't get this. Sloppy behaviour, you don't need to wear a uniform but a conservative dress or trousers, skirt and top is fine, as long as it is specially for work. Just looks cheap wearing jeans, lowers the tone, don't give a toss weather they are the best waxers in the world as it is unhygienic and unprofessional. That is why nurses etc wear uniforms, hygiene!! Hate how my industry has a bunch of chavy slobs in it these days, you see them on Jeremy Kyle getting your life sorted and training to be a beauty therapist "cringe"! I'm embarrassed to say what I do, these days! In my day going to private beauty school at 10k ( as I did) or getting an HND done over 2-3 year which you required 2 -3 highers for, so for the most part you got a higher calibre, now dear oh dear, tattoos, hoop earrings, dodgy accents and attitude!

This made me LOL! You don't hold back! Lol! Gave me a chuckle anyway! :)

Some people have no disapline, I blame the schools, private schools, you don't get this. Sloppy behaviour, you don't need to wear a uniform but a conservative dress or trousers, skirt and top is fine, as long as it is specially for work. Just looks cheap wearing jeans, lowers the tone, don't give a toss weather they are the best waxers in the world as it is unhygienic and unprofessional. That is why nurses etc wear uniforms, hygiene!! Hate how my industry has a bunch of chavy slobs in it these days, you see them on Jeremy Kyle getting your life sorted and training to be a beauty therapist "cringe"! I'm embarrassed to say what I do, these days! In my day going to private beauty school at 10k ( as I did) or getting an HND done over 2-3 year which you required 2 -3 highers for, so for the most part you got a higher calibre, now dear oh dear, tattoos, hoop earrings, dodgy accents and attitude!

Seriously???

So everyone that goes to public schools are slobs and have no discipline.

As for tattoos and dodgy accents. I have tattoos, does that make me any less of a nail technician because I like to express myself on my body??? If someone wants to wear hoop earrings, why not. I have a very expensive pair of White gold and diamond hoop earrings. Does that make me a chav??

No it doesn't. I went to a public school and I know what is right and wrong and how to dress myself. Doesn't matter where you went to school. We are all the same except the private schooled people have more money than others. Your parents teach you discipline and respect not just schools.

How long ago was your day? The way you talk you are back in the middle ages, things have changed and so have people,fashion and it is acceptable to have tattoos and piercings these days. People express themselves in different ways, doesn't make themselves any less of a person! As for accents, people can't help where they come from or are we still in the ages of when all girls should dress in dresses and have elocution lessons?

Your replies are ridiculous in most of your posts on here and you are very narrow minded.

[QUOTE=Nails
Well said. I went to public school and a public college, I'm also a child of a single mother who lives in a council house. I have respect for those who are respectful, polite and caring, well dressed and smart AND above all, I am good at what I do because I throw all my energy into it. Or shall I just give up, buy track suits, trainers and wet look gel, start talking like I'm speaking text talk and go robbing tv's from house's. Sounds like its what is stereotyped to me so may as well live it. Xoxo

I didn't go to private school but amazingly i know how to talk to people how to dress appropriatly, i have tattoos and piercing but they don't change the quality of my work.

I would think a lot of geeks are the same.

I don't think it has much to do with where you went to school, dressing appropriatly and acting professionally has a lot to do with common sense and self worth.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back