Uniform; Really getting to me now

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, I have to say that I once went on a groupon facial and the therapist was wearing jeans and a cardigan.. I did not feel it was professional at all and wouldnt go again, just because it is not hygienic and professional and I immediately thought "wow I wonder what type of facial this will be!". This was before I became a beautican myself. Now I would seriously consider turning around if I had a therapist weraing this sort of outfit and looking sloppy!

As for private schools, I did my level 2 in one, paid lots of money and was treated very badly, spoken to badly (like I was 13 years old, I am 31!) and the school would try and make money on ANYTHING they could!! that included us students, I had to PAY for most of the treatments MYSELF to get clients in (over 180 punds at least) for all my assessments as they did not have enough clients to come in the student salon and the majority of them went to those who had paid even more money for they course (cidesco).. and on top of this we found out that on our facials course they had completely left out their advertisement for the facials (so customers had no option even to book in for the facials we were to be assessed on) and so we had to pay for our friends and family to come in for facials to the student salon so that we could be assessed.. after we had paid we relised that the facials weren't even on the treatment list as they were in the process of changing products or something...seriously I could go on and on and on... so now I am doing my level 3 in a NON private college thank you very much.. and if it is the same then so be it but at least I havent splashed out as much money on it. I dont think it makes any difference if it is private or not as in my school you got any accent, behavior, nationality and type of person possible and it really comes down to how you were raised and brought up!

No remember I did mention the HND system in colleges at the time which was fine too.

No remember I did mention the HND system in colleges at the time which was fine too.

Hnd? No idea what it is but from re reading over and over it is very disrespectful and your clients would be offended too if you said that xoxo

Honestly eternalscot the things you say are crazy! I just about chocked on my gewing gum! Lol!

My feelings exactly! Just because you went to a private college or done an HND makes you a better therapist.

Tattoos and peoples accent also have absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the therapist either! I have tattoos, several ear piercings and a thick Glasgow accent and I know for a fact I'm not a chav, ned or anything else. I'm a damn good therapist and have worked my ass off to get where I am today.

To OP with regards to the uniform, the self employed therapist should still respect that it's your salon and your repuation that she could be affecting by dressing in jeans and what not. Hope you get it sorted soon xx

Sent from my GT-I8150 using SalonGeek

Can I be a real pedant here and point out that 'public school' in the UK means the same as 'private school'. If you mean anything else it's called state school.

Just cos it got a bit confusing there...

Stieners don't allow visable tattoos, same goes for champneys etc. Dress code hair pulled back, stud earrings ( no lovely big hoops), clean uniform and short nails. Personal preference I suppose I like that.

As for the private/state is not my issue is so much, when they brought in nvq into colleges about 18 years ago people were worried about the dilutation of the profession and rightly so, nvq gives you lots of chances to resit and the entry qualifications are nil. HND you needed 2 highers or a levels. This is just an opinion I'm allowed to have one, clearly stieners has an opinion on tattoos as well, we're all different.

Wow ! Well I'm the proud owner of a 3ft long climbing ivy tattoo , diamond hoop earrings ,and common as muck accent which only has one volume setting.....loud lol - my appointment book is filled though so I must be doing something right .

I've never worked in a salon so I stick to college rules. No jewellery, light make up, small stud earrings, freshly laundered uniform everyday etc.
I did NVQ Level 2 and I didn't go to private school. I don't have any highers but I worked really hard and I'm full every week too!

Anyway I was just at the chip shop (working late and needed something quick!) and the lady doing the frying didn't have her hair tied back, rings on nearly every finger, a couple of necklaces, small hoop earrings and a bracelet.
Anyway it got me thinking about this conversation..... It put me off my supper!

The word chav is actualky a romani word from the word chavvi which means child/children.

Its horrible to see it branded about to describe adults.

Some people have no disapline, I blame the schools, private schools, you don't get this. Sloppy behaviour, you don't need to wear a uniform but a conservative dress or trousers, skirt and top is fine, as long as it is specially for work. Just looks cheap wearing jeans, lowers the tone, don't give a toss weather they are the best waxers in the world as it is unhygienic and unprofessional. That is why nurses etc wear uniforms, hygiene!! Hate how my industry has a bunch of chavy slobs in it these days, you see them on Jeremy Kyle getting your life sorted and training to be a beauty therapist "cringe"! I'm embarrassed to say what I do, these days! In my day going to private beauty school at 10k ( as I did) or getting an HND done over 2-3 year which you required 2 -3 highers for, so for the most part you got a higher calibre, now dear oh dear, tattoos, hoop earrings, dodgy accents and attitude!

You really are quite rude and offensive eternalascot and I feel embarassed that you would speak this way on a public forum.

You are as entitled as everyone else to have an opinion but I do think it would be respectful to your fellow geeks if you chose a little more carefully how you presented your argument or opinion.

Peace and respect.

Of course, attending a private school does not always result in being able to spell correctly....:wink2:

The word chav is actualky a romani word from the word chavvi which means child/children.

Its horrible to see it branded about to describe adults.

I always wondered where it came from! I remember first hearing similar when I was at uni in Newcastle & the word 'charva' was everywhere. I actually thought it came from the Toon! X

Of course, attending a private school does not always result in being able to spell correctly....:wink2:

you took the words from my mouth!! This topic is bordering on offensive now.

Hope you can read my eastern european/Irish accent.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Although I don't agree with all the comments, I do think that eternalscot has contributed a few pertinent points. Also, I do think some people are rather quick to take offence these days. It's just as easy to smile pleasantly and disagree without getting 'soapboxy'.

It's a fact that some of our clients do stereotype therapists who wear more casual clothes to be less professional in their work.

Having large tattoos on display, multiple piercings, wearing ripped jeans, slogan t-shirts etc. doesn't really present the most professional image in the hair & beauty industry and certainly not if you're trying to attract a more upscale type of clientele. After all, this is the image business.

If your target client base is young, teenage and twenties, then a smart dress code is probably less relevant.

The OP did mention that her business partner had raised concerns about poor client retention. Therefore, I think it's reasonable in those circumstances to suggest to her business partner that her personal presentation may be contributing to the problem.

Perhaps the OP can refer her partner to some episodes of 'Tabatha's Salon Takeover' (on Bravo?) where Tabatha makes it clear that image is everything in this business. Addictive TV but cringeworthy at the same time... :biggrin:

You really are quite rude and offensive eternalascot and I feel embarassed that you would speak this way on a public forum.

You are as entitled as everyone else to have an opinion but I do think it would be respectful to your fellow geeks if you chose a little more carefully how you presented your argument or opinion.

Peace and respect.

I completely agree, but it opens up debate which I believe is a good thing. Gets a bit boring everyone just saying, oh how wonderful hun, wear shell suit to work as long as it's white! The debate should be while these rules are in place in the first place health and hygiene and people flouting it just show their ignorance. Your work wear should be that only worn at work and not public transport etc getting contaminated etc, this is why nurses are not suppose to strut around in their uniform, through the streets. In my job I do a lot of invasive pocedures e.g permanent make up, dermal roller, electroylsis and it's not great to be wearing everyday clothes (in my opinion), neither is wearing lots of gold jewelery or hoops which could catch, it appears these things were not drummed into them when training.

Ripped jeans, hooped earings and trainers, uh no!!, not whilst at work in our profession. Regardless of age, my clients would be mortified if I turned up for work dressed this way.
It is your business however it's her business within yours so it's hard being she's self employed. However!!!, I would suggest a chat if it happens again and perhaps tactfully tell a little white lie ie clients have been complaining.
I would hate it if it was me in your position. Seriously I would pull my hair out as you quite rightly said she's representing your business and this is absolutely not what most of us want or expect.
When I did my training we were told uniform, minimal jewellery........
Good luck

I completely agree, but it opens up debate which I believe is a good thing. Gets a bit boring everyone just saying, oh how wonderful hun, wear shell suit to work as long as it's white! The debate should be while these rules are in place in the first place health and hygiene and people flouting it just show their ignorance. Your work wear should be that only worn at work and not public transport etc getting contaminated etc, this is why nurses are not suppose to strut around in their uniform, through the streets. In my job I do a lot of invasive pocedures e.g permanent make up, dermal roller, electroylsis and it's not great to be wearing everyday clothes (in my opinion), neither is wearing lots of gold jewelery or hoops which could catch, it appears these things were not drummed into them when training.

Debate is indeed a good thing and may I thank you for your reasoned and measured response :cool: x

Very much seems this thread has changed!

I must say though to those relaying it back to education I find this quite offensive. I would have absolutely loved to have had the funding to go and do a beauty course which cost 10k but I didnt have the money. Im now 28 and at 25 years old I went back into full time education with people nearly ten years my junior, it was tough, I did an NVQ which seems to be taking a bit of a bashing, and I worked hard.

I now run my own successful beauty business and have a full appointment book. I wear a uniform, am well presented and always am polite and considerate. I dont think you can bring this down to how people were educated. Its just plain ignorant.

Very much seems this thread has changed!

I must say though to those relaying it back to education I find this quite offensive. I would have absolutely loved to have had the funding to go and do a beauty course which cost 10k but I didnt have the money. Im now 28 and at 25 years old I went back into full time education with people nearly ten years my junior, it was tough, I did an NVQ which seems to be taking a bit of a bashing, and I worked hard.

I now run my own successful beauty business and have a full appointment book. I wear a uniform, am well presented and always am polite and considerate. I dont think you can bring this down to how people were educated. Its just plain ignorant.

Education is their training, it's very important, the most important thing, in my opinion. Education is why these people think normal clothes happens to be choice rather than a rather than a standard, I could go on but I will just get it for other geeks, night.

Latest posts

Back