Unique Opportunity

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attitude

Reaction score
I apologize in advance for such a lengthy post.

I need some advice. This business opportunity came at me out of no where today and my head is spinning.

Some background: I am a licensed aesthetician and also do nails/gels etc. I only worked one year at this, renting my room at 2 different salons, and I loved it so much. Circumstances forced me to take a full-time cosmetology job in a pharmacy just over a year ago. I like my job, but the schedule is a real problem and I would rather be doing aesthetics, however the steady paycheck and benefits is why I took it.

Today I was offered a room rental in a nice salon. The owner/aesthetician is going on maternity leave first of July. The rent is $400/month, which is standard in my area. What makes it unique is that she is handing me her clientele. I know not all her clients will stay on, however she has a good clientele that she has built up.

I have to make a big decision whether to risk it or stay put. What questions should I ask the lady? Is it rude to ask her average income? She is supplying the equipment but not product. I would set my own hours. I need to get an idea of how much the income will be compared to what I am now making at the pharmacy. I just don't know what/how exactly to ask.

Thanks for any input.

I apologize in advance for such a lengthy post.

I need some advice. This business opportunity came at me out of no where today and my head is spinning.

Some background: I am a licensed aesthetician and also do nails/gels etc. I only worked one year at this, renting my room at 2 different salons, and I loved it so much. Circumstances forced me to take a full-time cosmetology job in a pharmacy just over a year ago. I like my job, but the schedule is a real problem and I would rather be doing aesthetics, however the steady paycheck and benefits is why I took it.

Today I was offered a room rental in a nice salon. The owner/aesthetician is going on maternity leave first of July. The rent is $400/month, which is standard in my area. What makes it unique is that she is handing me her clientele. I know not all her clients will stay on, however she has a good clientele that she has built up.

I have to make a big decision whether to risk it or stay put. What questions should I ask the lady? Is it rude to ask her average income? She is supplying the equipment but not product. I would set my own hours. I need to get an idea of how much the income will be compared to what I am now making at the pharmacy. I just don't know what/how exactly to ask.

Thanks for any input.

Your boss is making a business proposition and you have no way of knowing how good it is without the figures. It is not being rude to sit down with her with a list of questions, as a business woman you are doing due diligence.

Remember you are also doing her a favour by keeping her clientelle loyal to the clinic while she is away. This suits her but YOU NEED TO KNOW whether this is going to suit you.

She needs to give you a precise breakdown of product costs and return on investment for each treatment.

Good luck though.

Tis could be a golden opportunity but you would need to see the books thoroughly to look at how many of the clients come back fro repeat treatments.

Yu could also take ownership of a new marketing strategy and take this as chance to write to every client informing them f new ownership, your credentials and a special 10% discount if they book back in with you for a treatment within 4 weeks...that way you I'll quickly assess how viable and profitable the business is and maybe even breathe new life into it!

Good luck

Adam

what happens when/if she decides to return to work?

what happens when/if she decides to return to work?

I was wondering the same thing.... Not such a golden opportunity if she decides a year after giving birth that she wants her business, location and clients back and you're out the job!

She IS returning in one year. She may return only part-time because of the baby. The salon building also has a new swimwear store which she owns and she may work part-time at aesthetics and the rest at the store. There will be, after the year, another room available 4 days a week at half rent.

She is very young, but very business savvy. I plan on moving away in 2 years and to be frank, am not making a whole lot of money working in the pharmacy, so if the money is similar, I would rather do aesthetics again.

She has agreed to show me some figures on Tuesday.

There seems to be a lot of "she might do this"... It's all a bit strange if she's so business savvy she would have all this worked out.

I would ask how many days she is due back, when she is due back, will there be space for you both to work on the same days, if she can't commit to solid answers I personally would walk away. Too right it would suit her for you to pay her while she is off and retain her clients for her when she comes back!

Latest posts

Back