Universal Credit

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The beauty lady

Reaction score
Hi all I'm self employed but obviously not working at the minute. I've applied for UC but it didnt ask if I was self employed. It just said employed or not employed. Whereas when I filled my partners In, because it has to be joint, it asked self employed, employed, not employed.... so I said not employed then at the next stage it asked if I planned on being self employed in the next month so I said yes. Does that sound right??

Employed means you are an employee of someone else - that you are are a payroll.
Self employed is a bit of a misnomer as you are not employed, you are not on a payroll system but instead actually a sole trader.

That's what I mean. There was no option for that. But there was for my partner for some reason. They never make anything easy.

I know it’s a nightmare. You can only do what you can.

I had given up hope. I’d made a joint claim (husband still has job but read that it didn’t matter as it would go on my earnings so seemed like unnecessary info for them anyway). Then I got to the end and none of their companies could verify my identity.

I’d given up then it said my application was closed. Tried one more time and did single person and it didn’t ask anything about whether I am employed, self employed or how much money I make so I was like what..how can they figure out if i’m entitled to anything.

So when that didn’t verify me I gave up again.

Out of the blue this morning had a call from my local council job centre and they said they had checked my passport (? Had only managed to upload it onto the joint claim so has to be right) and were going to be paying me in may.

So that was a surprise. I’ve no idea how much though.

Told me to keep logging into UC and there was a to do task for earnings.

Based on mine and partners income. No mention of net or gross or expenses for self employed just checking your bank for money paid in for each month for both of you for 2019, and feb and march 2020. Er that’s no good as I have expenses to work out for the entire year still. But he is using the pc to work so I can’t even do my return to check my income and expenses yet. I’d been under the impression they were to go with an average from previous tax years or 2018-2019.

This is of course an improvement on given up not getting anything.. but still they make it so lengthy and confusing.

I know it’s a nightmare. You can only do what you can.

I had given up hope. I’d made a joint claim (husband still has job but read that it didn’t matter as it would go on my earnings so seemed like unnecessary info for them anyway). Then I got to the end and none of their companies could verify my identity.

I’d given up then it said my application was closed. Tried one more time and did single person and it didn’t ask anything about whether I am employed, self employed or how much money I make so I was like what..how can they figure out if i’m entitled to anything.

So when that didn’t verify me I gave up again.

Out of the blue this morning had a call from my local council job centre and they said they had checked my passport (? Had only managed to upload it onto the joint claim so has to be right) and were going to be paying me in may.

So that was a surprise. I’ve no idea how much though.

Told me to keep logging into UC and there was a to do task for earnings.

Based on mine and partners income. No mention of net or gross or expenses for self employed just checking your bank for money paid in for each month for both of you for 2019, and feb and march 2020. Er that’s no good as I have expenses to work out for the entire year still. But he is using the pc to work so I can’t even do my return to check my income and expenses yet. I’d been under the impression they were to go with an average from previous tax years or 2018-2019.

This is of course an improvement on given up not getting anything.. but still they make it so lengthy and confusing.
UC won't be on previous tax years I don't think. It's practically what used to be job seekers allowance which is around £90/week I think but I could be totally wrong. @salonfrog may know better.

Did you have to put your pay or partners monthly pay In?

Did you have to put your pay or partners monthly pay In?

I’ve done mine, you have to do it as joint if you live together so add the incomes together

Was that what was in the to do list??

Latest posts

Back