Unprofessional massage teacher and course

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sashao

Reaction score
Well I am a trainee beauty therapist and qualified in nails. I applied for a day massage course to add to my home services.
It was advertised 10am till 4:30pm. I know day time courses are not the best but thought for an intensive day it would give me the confidence and knowledge to provide a descent massage with the contra-indications etc. I have the basic knowledge of most of the beauty side of things anyway so thought this course would be great.
Anyway after I paid and booked the course she said it would be a shorter period of only 3 hours. I was like really, are you sure that is going to be enough?
She then said well if I'm going to be massaging for 3 hours trust her I would be tired.
Long story short... I got there and within 2 hours she ended the course, bearing in mind she started half an hour in and so literally only was given an hour and a half. Her model she used was a family member after telling me her model had cancelled last minute.
Before I was even allowed to ask any questions she got her up and I was not even finished. I wanted to practise some more..
I asked her is that it? She said yeah she thinks I'm good and know the basics etc. Also I will get the certificate in an email...

Does this sound dodgy to you all? I felt very rushed. Not had enough practise. Only done one move once. Didn't even do a whole body massage at the end. Was very quick and even when she was showing me some techniques she wasn't even saying any of the anatomy names of the body. I know them all but as a massage teacher I felt I was telling her and she was just agreeing to it.
I feel like I don't even want the certificate even though nothing has arrived yet and I would rather have a refund. I could of literally just watched YouTube. I do not think also she should be teaching massage. I am a beginner and I feel I would of given better training to someone and gave them more than an hour and a half... [emoji36]

Was the course accredited?

Yes that sounds dodgy as hell tbh.
I did a one day massage course, accredited by the guild of beauty therapists, it was an entire day plus we ran over timewise and it was also accompanied by an anatomy & physiology e-manual which we’d printed out and studied for weeks beforehand and were tested on on the day and no conferring
For our practical we were taught several different massage techniques. Practiced everything on each other and swapped around and did a full body at the end.
Did you pay by credit card? You have a right to what I think is called “charge back”, phone your credit card company and explain it wasn’t how it was advertised and wasn’t nearly enough, they will refund you and then work to get the money out of whoever you did the course with.

Was the course accredited?
It was suppose to be, with abt... I was actually thinking of contacting abt to speak to them about her and her way of teaching.

Yes that sounds dodgy as hell tbh.
I did a one day massage course, accredited by the guild of beauty therapists, it was an entire day plus we ran over timewise and it was also accompanied by an anatomy & physiology e-manual which we’d printed out and studied for weeks beforehand and were tested on on the day and no conferring
For our practical we were taught several different massage techniques. Practiced everything on each other and swapped around and did a full body at the end.
Did you pay by credit card? You have a right to what I think is called “charge back”, phone your credit card company and explain it wasn’t how it was advertised and wasn’t nearly enough, they will refund you and then work to get the money out of whoever you did the course with.
Exactly what you have explained is what I thought it would of involved. She emailed me a whole load of work which I found many spelling errors.
There was some work to be done which I did. When I got there I asked if she wanted it, she was like no its for me. But I'm thinking don't you need to mark it to make sure it's correct. She said I can hand it in if I want but it's for my reading.
She never went through any anatomy to test any of my knowledge. Never asked me one question, not even about myself. Her phone was constantly going off. It was basically she done one side of the back I copied and done the other side. Then she done one arm I did the other arm and then the leg, and that was it, it was over. I thought at least let me practice what you have showed me by myself on the whole body in good time etc... But nope!
When she sat down for me to do the other side she had her phone saying she was taking notes for my file... Now I'm thinking she was probably just replying back to her messages that was pinging off every minute. If anything was for my file then why didn't you take the work you sent. It was like she didn't even know that there was work to be done in what she sent to me.

Yes I think I did pay by credit card so I may try that charge back.

Oh yeah and another thing I checked afterwards was her Google profile.. She has like 3 reviews and they are from herself with her married name and maiden. How dodgy is that. Actually writing about herself and then replied to herself...

Thank you for the replies. I wish I went with a different training academy now. Its just going to be another headache for me to deal with but she can't be taking peoples money and not giving a good standard level of teaching, that is if she is actually allowed to teach.

It was suppose to be, with abt... I was actually thinking of contacting abt to speak to them about her and her way of teaching.

I think tbis is your best starting point. Sadly many say they are accredited but are not. I always suggest calling your insurance company to check they accept the training provider as an accredited source

I'm in the process now of writing an email to abt now. Thank you all :)

Latest posts

Back