Unprofessional or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanglowed123

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Quick question...I am opening a salon in a few weeks and was wondering your thoughts on using a mobile number as a contact number for the salon? Is this unprofessional and would it be better to use a landline?

My reasons for using a mobile number include:

- £150 Line installation charge
- Line rental each month
- 3-4 week wait on receiving a number and getting it set up...I need the number asap to start printing advertising material.
- I already have a spare mobile/sim I can use...can top up as I need (also get free mins and texts)

What are your thoughts?

I do think a landline looks more professional.

Firstly, well done you for opening your own salon. I would go for a business number.

A mobile suggests that you are own your own, that you may not answer your phone and your longevity may be in question. Clients like to see the therapist they get used to regularly and people won't buy gift vouchers off you if they think you may up and leave.

Also, the dialling code of a fixed line demonstrates that you are in your target market's area.

Hope that helps, hun...

some people may be put off having to ring a mobile, (expense etc) it sounds silly but i know alot of people who refuse to ring a mobile because 'it costs too much' even though they would only be on the phone a couple of minutes at the most, and i do think it looks more professional to have a landline. I do understand your reasons for not wanting one however, i think its down to personal preference on this one ....xx

I only have my mobile and I'm busy and never have a problem x I guess it depends on what u want and can afford when your first opening. Congratulations x

I think most people have mobiles with free minutes so a mobile is ok. I think it was the cost that used put people off ringing mobiles the only thing I would check is that you get good reception in the salon as it would be no good if your signal is rubbish xxx

Do you have a home number? What you could do is use that number but redirect your calls to your mobile during the day?

Also, will you not have internet in your salon? wont you need a phone for this anyway?

Or what about paying for a skype "local" number and picking one in your area code? Then you just need to leave skype logged in on your phone.

I use my mobile, so my clients can reach me any time. Most are used to my church schedule, but if not , my voicemail is friendly. But from reading, it sounds like it may be different in the states than in the UK. It doesn't cost me to ring a mobile from my cell or home...

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

I think alot of people do get free minutes these days so calling your mobile wont be an issue for the majority. People could also txt if they dont want the cost of a call to a mobile, txts are fairly cheap arent they? :)

Hi everyone

Quick question...I am opening a salon in a few weeks and was wondering your thoughts on using a mobile number as a contact number for the salon? Is this unprofessional and would it be better to use a landline?

My reasons for using a mobile number include:

- £150 Line installation charge
- Line rental each month
- 3-4 week wait on receiving a number and getting it set up...I need the number asap to start printing advertising material.
- I already have a spare mobile/sim I can use...can top up as I need (also get free mins and texts)

What are your thoughts?

Hi
Are you thinking of getting a card machine? As you'll need a landline for this
Just a thought
Sarah x

Go for a land line for sure! No contest. Looks more professional, and you are unlikely to get dodgy phone calls :wink2:

I would definitely get a landline. I just think it looks more professional and a lot of people are put off ringing a salon if it has a mobile number as they think it is not up to scratch.

You also risk people texting you to make, change or cancel appointments.

As someone else previously said, it is cheaper to have a card machine on a landline than a mobile terminal, if you plan to have one xx

Hi
Are you thinking of getting a card machine? As you'll need a landline for this
Just a thought
Sarah x

No you don't, you can get a mobile card machine. ;-)

Some mobile oporators can give you a local land line number and it oes through to your mobile number. I think Vodafone do it.

I use a mobile card machine and a mobile phone number.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

i use both mobile and landline for my salon and i explain to clients that they can ring my mobile out of hours to make appointments

Times have changed, ok I'm a home salon and I have a mobile it works great. I don't think it bothers clients as no one has ever asked if I have a landline. The only bad side to having a mobile number is people do ring or text u at stupid o clock! Most people have free minutes and unlimited texts now a days so it's not like it cost's the earth!

hi, think if your salon based then landline looks more professional and for people driving by they remember the last few digits easier (presuming they know the area code)

could use mobile as well but you might tend to get txts then which is more hassle if new client.

i think you can get told your number as soon as you agree an installation date, so you can still get your marketing materials together....so defo install a landline...I'm glad I did...you can get more free listings in local directories with a local area code rather than a mobile and I like to get away from work and let clients leave messages instead of texting me at stupid times of the night x

i know a hair salon opened a year now and they only have a mobile number and are doing really well - to be honest i dont think it bothers people

i admired their initiative - i wish i had done that and saved myself soooo much money - if you're good .. people will ring

IMO a landline is more professional for a salon.

Latest posts

Back