Unprofessional salon situation help?need a rant.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammiG

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I think I need to have a rant. I'm at that stage when I just want to scream!

I am going to become an educator soon and everything seemed to have fallen into place for me. 2 days before I went on holiday, I went into the salon opposite my house to have some waxing and the lady there (who I sort of know) offered me the front part of her salon on a comission basis only so I could do nails and also teach as there is plenty of room. It's very old fashioned in there with dodgy carpets etc and a lot of the clients are mature and regulars. I don't think the place is doing very well and she doesn't seem to want to change anything! Says marketing is a waste of time as she doesn't get any more clients from advertising....Mmm I wonder why. I thought we could help eachother. It was so easy as it's right opposite my house.

At the moment she has toning tables in the front. She said to me that we could get rid of the tables and put a partition wall in so I would have my own room. I would be fitting lamintate flooring too. Excellent! I thought.

Anyway, I had an appointment to do some l&p on a new client in her salon and she set up a mobile nail station for me by her reception desk. Looked unprofessional but I'm coming to the best bit....

I walked the client past the waxing room to go and wash her hands and I can small CAT POO AND WEE!!!! I was so embarrased.I finished doing the enhancements and had a word with the owner and she said that her cat got run over and she now keeps it in the kitchen of her salon as it can't wee or poo for its self and she refuses to put the poor thing to sleep. (Cat is 15). Can't even walk....and I'm now worrying everytime I have an itch.

Anyway, after my client had gone, she was commenting on the bad smell that I thought she meant the cat pee, but no! She meant my liquid!!!!! I do everything I can to avoid over exposure and could hardly smell it myself. She then says that I would have to fit more ventilation as the acrylic would affect her aromatherapy oils...blah blah blah (By this time, I'd decided that I will I never be in that salon!!!) It's unhygenic! Surely that can't be allowed?!
She says to me that she's lost all her toning table customers now and gives me a guilt trip as she told them all I was coming to work in there instead.

She keeps phoning me asking me to make lists of things I'm concerned about so maybe we could still do it, and even once, she left an answerphone message saying 'I know you're there...answer the phone'..(stalker material)

My problem is now, that I really wanted to get started by 1st September and now I'm stuck without a building! This whole situation made me realise that I need to do it myself and I could never work with her.

Sorry - needed to offload!!!!!! Anyone got any advice?

xxx

If her toning tables were doing so well why would she get rid of them?
Tell her you're not interested mate. Health and Safety issues for a start.
She wouldn't let you move on and get new clients if you tried.
She needs your money by the sound of it.

I would do a run as far away form that place as you can get! There will be somewhere better for you I am sure.

I would do a run as far away form that place as you can get! There will be somewhere better for you I am sure.
Couldn't agree more,It is a shame for you though as I expect you were feeling all excited and everything but it would all end in tears I think.

Good luck though in your business venture.xx:hug:

run as fast as you can...but check the bottom of your shoes when you leave :lol::lol: sorry couldnt resist.

run as fast as you can...but check the bottom of your shoes when you leave :lol::lol: sorry couldnt resist.
LMAO :lol:
But seriously Hunny, you can do better than that, so give yourself the chance by leaving (at speed) the smelly place, & finding somewhere nicer.

Good Luck :hug:

Hi , Gosh I too felt trapped and claustrophobic just listening to this ,
run run as fast as you can, She is stuck in a time warp
Id rather smell monomer than cat doo doo any day , Yuck
Start afresh ,good luck , and let us know how you get on :hug:

I once went to a shop where there was a heap of crispy dried out bees in a heap :eek: LOL

Run, run, and then run some more.

Sounds completely off the wall and as if it would be a total nightmare.

I have sympathy for her cat, particularly since the cat is likely suffering and she's just prolonging it. No quality of life for the poor kitty. Kitties are clean animals and he/she likely doesn't like the "mess" either.

As said, she needs you way more than you need her.

It'll all sort out. You'll find a way/space soon that works better for you.

Be straight up with her, but don't leave any room for her to weasel and say "well I'll do this or that" cause most likely, it won't get done if her finances are as suspected.
Be firm and say it won't work, and move on.

You're a great tech. You don't need those types of headaches as you'd likely get working there.

:hug:

Hi there

That sounds awful, major health and safety issues, and that poor cat:cry:
I would deffo look for somewhere else, I def wouldnt wanna be a client in a place like that, im suprised she has any!

Good Luck whatever you decide x

no wonder her business is not on the up and up if her salon smells like a litter tray.:eek:

and yet she thought the monomer smelled bad, how ironic :lol:

You may well want to get up and running by Sept 1st. If you now try to look for other premises, you may not get started by this date, however, in the long run, I think you will be better off setting up elsewhere.

I agree, she needs your money, your skills and professionalism. If she is already leaving messages saying, "I know you're there", then I would politely leave her be and move on.

OMG I would get out of there asap and report her to the RSPCA

If the miserable old bat won't even pay to get her cat put to sleep when its suffering then what the hell must she be like to work with ??

well ...... wot can i say ...lol i think i would feel that same as u do chuck..lol .. im sure if u just was up ront with the lady then she will be ok with you not going in there.. xxx good luck xx

DEFINATELY run. She seems to need your money more than you need the room!
On another note, I expect the RSPCA would have something to say about her keeping a cat alive when it's suffering so much.

Thanks so much geeks for all your support. I really appreciate it as I've had a really bad day!
I definitely am looking for somewhere else. i have a meeting with the weird woman tomorrow...I will be polite but stern.

I'll let you all know what happens!

Sam xxx

OMG I would get out of there asap and report her to the RSPCA

If the miserable old bat won't even pay to get her cat put to sleep when its suffering then what the hell must she be like to work with ??

Perhaps it's not the money, but that she loves her cat dearly and can't bear to have her put to sleep.

Having said that, I've got 3 cats and I would be beside myself if anything where to ever happen to them. They are my children and I LOVE them very much.

However, if something as bad as that happened to them, it wouldn't be fair to leave them suffering just because I couldn't bear to be without them.

I'm sure she probably has the right intentions, but the poor cat is suffering.

Marlise

Latest posts

Back