Unqualified nail techs! Urrgh!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail Junkie

Reaction score
Hi all!

I apologise for the Thread name but how annoying are these people! Just been on Facebook and seen a girl charging £10 for acrylic nails and £10 for hair extensions!
I can understand new nail techs charging a low fee to gain practice but this girl apparently has 5yrs experience. I commented on her advertisement asking what product she uses and she replied saying she doesn't disclose that information!!!
Clearly crap off eBay! Lol.

Sorry for the rant fellow geeks but these people really get on my nerves when we've all worked so hard to get where we are. She's probably not even insured or registered to work from home!
Do you have this where you are?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha it's all over hun, local to me we have a salon who are shocking when it comes to nails but they do them for about £10/£15 on kids & adults who don't know any better, the Facebook pics are hilarious, they are seen as a joke.
Don't let it annoy you these people come & go, just concentrate on your own nails there is no comparison with these messers & their chunky white blob tips lol xx

Im with you on this, i find it really annoying, not only are they doing hair and nails, but spray tans the lot.
I recently went to college to get my minx certificate and find out that its not recognised by sweet squared and they told me that i could of done it anyway as soon as i pass my manicure, which i am doing now, but why tell me that i wont be able to get minx without it.
Even our professionals (tutors) are at it, trying to make money from us, I asked for a refund and they are processing it now, so this is an admission of guilt and poor practice i find.
Also how do we know that the people that we get our qualifications are registered and allowed to train us?
I'm going to investigate everyone that i train with from now on and always question the authenticity, because if we dont and a public liability case is bought onto us, (god help us), then it would mean that our certificates are void as well as our insurence.
I was chatting to my delivery driver and he said his mrs does acrylics and has never had training, just learnt from home and has loads of customers, no insurence, how can they all get away with it?? when we have to pay a hell of alot of money on our training.
Ive put all of my diploma's on my facebook page with the huge do not copy's written all over them, just so my customers know that they are coming to the right person with all the nessasary quals and training and insurence, and im not putting my prices down at all, if people want a good service they have to pay, if they want a cowboy botch job then they can go elsewhere, just be proud of yourselves girls, we are professional even if many arent,x

Ha it's all over hun, local to me we have a salon who are shocking when it comes to nails but they do them for about £10/£15 on kids & adults who don't know any better, the Facebook pics are hilarious, they are seen as a joke.
Don't let it annoy you these people come & go, just concentrate on your own nails there is no comparison with these messers & their chunky white blob tips lol xx

Thanks hun, I'll keep my calm. It's when you get questioned yourself for being expensive because a lot of people don't have the product knowledge x

Im with you on this, i find it really annoying, not only are they doing hair and nails, but spray tans the lot, i recently went to college to get my minx certificate and find out that its not recognised by sweet squared and they told me that i could of done it anyway as soon as i pass my manicure, which i am doing now, but why tell me that i wont be able to get minx without it, even our professionals (tutors) are at it, trying to make money from us, I asked for a refund and they are processing it now, so this is an admission of guilt and poor practice i find, also how do we know that the people that we get our qualifications are registered and allowed to train us, im going to investigate everyone that i train with from now on and always question the authenticity, because if we dont and a public liability case is bought onto us, (god help us), then it would mean that our certificates are void aswell as our insurence, i was chatting to my delivery driver and he said his mrs does acrylics and has never had training, just learnt from home and has loads of customers, no insurence, how can they all get away with it?? when we have to pay a hell of alot of money on our training, ive put all of my diploma's on my facebook page with the huge do not copy's written all over them, just so my customers know that they are coming to the right person with all the nessasary quals and training and insurence, and im not putting my prices down at all, if people want a good service they have to pay, if they want a cowboy botch job then they can go elsewhere, just be proud of yourselves girls, we are professional even if many arent,x

Really!! Omg that's terrible. Our tutors are suppose to be the one's we trust as well! Good idea with the certificates hun xx

Ive seen people like that on fb too in the past. I've recently closed my fb account, so I'm glad I can't see this any more.
A few weeks back a person on my fb started to offer nails, all her wording was very similar to mine. Then she upload some pics, none of which were of a clients nails. They where just fake nails painted. Which where painted awfully. This person has now gone on to offer hair extensions, I added a comment to a pic of her own which she had done, asking who she trained with and what sort of glue etc she was using. For her to delete my comment.
People like this never last long.. X

I think this applies to just about every industry out there. There will always be unqualifieds and unisureds passing themselves off as something their not. Don't stress about what they are doing and remember that you don't want clients that are only prepared to pay £10 etc. etc. for a set of nails. Those clients, are going to be deal chasers, they won't become loyal clients. Its the loyalty of our clients that builds our businesses. So don't waste brain cells over them.......just be the best you can and charge what you know you are worth.

There is many nr me one girl who is charging £5! I pay out of my nose for products, I wouldn't contemplate buying acrylic or gel items off eBay . A girl told a client of mine she didn't need insurance or qualifications to do nails but everyone on fbk nr me knows shes gash yet ive soaked her work off due to her making a bloody mess of the poor girls nails as I'm sure she did them in the dark they were that bad , when soaked them off the cuticle was half way up the nail the worst of this girl was trained up by another unqualified person who trades lol

This drives me nuts also. I have recently saw a few people advertising on fb selling pages and the pics, well let's just say a kid could do better. I even commented on one of the posts as she was offering gels and someone said 'oh good I'm so glad it's not acrylics' that winds me up bad. My reply was the usual banf about the tech and the lack of experience and also the nss shops they all go to for cheap nails. I'm sick of it, this is why I ended up closing for 2 years, but thankfully I have some loyal clients/friends who kept badgering me to start up again so it's back on the band wagon for me and I'm happy for it too.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Ive seen people like that on fb too in the past. I've recently closed my fb account, so I'm glad I can't see this any more.
A few weeks back a person on my fb started to offer nails, all her wording was very similar to mine. Then she upload some pics, none of which were of a clients nails. They where just fake nails painted. Which where painted awfully. This person has now gone on to offer hair extensions, I added a comment to a pic of her own which she had done, asking who she trained with and what sort of glue etc she was using. For her to delete my comment.
People like this never last long.. X

Did she?! How rude!! Lol. I dread 2 think what she's doing to people's hair. I mean hair is something u really can't hide if it falls out or looks awful. X

I think this applies to just about every industry out there. There will always be unqualifieds and unisureds passing themselves off as something their not. Don't stress about what they are doing and remember that you don't want clients that are only prepared to pay £10 etc. etc. for a set of nails. Those clients, are going to be deal chasers, they won't become loyal clients. Its the loyalty of our clients that builds our businesses. So don't waste brain cells over them.......just be the best you can and charge what you know you are worth.

Your right :) There just seems 2 b more and more all the time. Suppose it's the loyal clients that keep us going and who care enough to have them done properly. Suppose it just winds me up! Especially when I c ppl I know commenting 4 a booking from them! X

There is many nr me one girl who is charging £5! I pay out of my nose for products, I wouldn't contemplate buying acrylic or gel items off eBay . A girl told a client of mine she didn't need insurance or qualifications to do nails but everyone on fbk nr me knows shes gash yet ive soaked her work off due to her making a bloody mess of the poor girls nails as I'm sure she did them in the dark they were that bad , when soaked them off the cuticle was half way up the nail the worst of this girl was trained up by another unqualified person who trades lol

£5!! Omg how do they make anything? Surely cheapo products wouldn't cover? Suppose I've never looked.
As 4 insurance, it'll just bite them in the backside when something eventually happens! X

This drives me nuts also. I have recently saw a few people advertising on fb selling pages and the pics, well let's just say a kid could do better. I even commented on one of the posts as she was offering gels and someone said 'oh good I'm so glad it's not acrylics' that winds me up bad. My reply was the usual banf about the tech and the lack of experience and also the nss shops they all go to for cheap nails. I'm sick of it, this is why I ended up closing for 2 years, but thankfully I have some loyal clients/friends who kept badgering me to start up again so it's back on the band wagon for me and I'm happy for it too.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Aww bless ya hun. Least ur back on board now doing what u luv and r no doubt really good at :)

Ur right with the poor painting, I've seen it 2! Also earlier I was looking at some photos of French Tips which covered like a third of the nail plate with about 3mm pink! Talk about shocking! I would want paying to let some1 do that to my nails, never mind paying them! Lol x

Latest posts

Back