Unqualified staff?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prinny

Reaction score
What is the right and wrong to unqualified staff? in my job at a brow bar the 'supervisor' was qualified and i was the only other member of qualified staff. this is a threading bar, where none of the staff are trained just shown what to do and left to there own devices. Brow and lash tints, eyelash extensions ect.

when i first started i wasn't aware that i was the only other member to be qualified. and im only recently qualified. I realised when a new member joined us, she didnt have any qualifications and was not in college, or had previously done any sort of beauty therapy she got shown how to apply false lash extensions on me, that i wasnt happy about! but got told this is something we had to do, to assist with helping each other, and then it came to lash tinting i gave a firm no.
i wasnt going to allow anybody near me who hadn't been near a college nevermind any sort of training before, the 'supervisor' (i call her this as she said she was the manager but had no responsibilities) she was qualified and was just a level 3 nail technician and a level 2 beauty.
there are a quite few days where she isn't in and the other girls are left to it themselves under no supervision what so ever, in my first week i was left to open close and run the shop on my own with a complete unqualified other member of staff, there would be days where 2 unqualified members of staff are left on there own to open and close.

i left that job after 9 weeks of starting it, things started going wrong with the unqualified staff and i didn't want it to reflect on my career. this is more so worrying as this company have 8 other sites around the uk and im the only 2nd English girl to ever work for that company (the first being my 'supervisor'. The owners husband assured me it was ok because they are all covered under the insurance aslong as they are accompanied by a member of qualified staff this was allowed? but there are days when there is no qualified members of staff in and customers are unaware of this.
what do i do with this information. do i just ignore the fact when i walk past nearly everyday seeing people getting treatments done by them. i tried my best to tell them some theory behind it all they didn't even realise you can have a reaction from tint and where shocked to see images of allergic reactions. the owner is currently training to become a trainer herself so is not qualified to teach these members of staff and is never around as she is in her office miles away or university and chasing the other sites all over the uk.

can anyone advise me on what to do? or if this is the right way that companies work and im just a little shock to learn of this? thank you :) xx

Last edited by a moderator:
Is not your concern. Concentrate on something that is. You will never win it. It probably won't be long before something happens anyway. The staff seem happy to work in those conditions so let them.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Is not your concern. Concentrate on something that is. You will never win it. It probably won't be long before something happens anyway. The staff seem happy to work in those conditions so let them.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

very true! ive just left it, but something just keeps popping into my head thats saying its just so wrong, or is this the norm? x

In the UK there are no regulations to follow and there is nobody to report them to.

The untrained staff will NOT be covered by insurance (as all insurance companies will want to see the certificate of qualification before considering getting involved with a claim) and so if anything did go wrong that person could be sued personally.

Your best off out of there but now you need to just focus on getting yourself where you want to be and just forget your time at this place. Nothing you could do would help you so just put the past behind you and look to the future, put the energy you are using on this place to work at getting you where you want to be.

Last edited:
Give people enough rope and eventually they will hang themselves.

Do nothing. Keep your own powder dry and work on your own business and development.

Vicki x

Latest posts

Back