Unqualified tech trying to take clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candy195

Reaction score
  1. Hi all not sure if this is the right place to put this thread but hear goes theres an unqualified girl doing acrylics twinkle toes and spray tanning in my area shes got a facebook account and keeps posting full sets for £10 twinkle toes for £5 and spray tanning for £7.50 or get all three for £20 plus for the twinkle toes she puts glitter in acrylic and does it that way this can't be right shes trying to get clients off of propper nail tech's who are qualified can we report her or not :confused: x

Basically no you can't report her.

There is nobody to report her to.

She is not breaking any laws, although working without qualifications means she can't get insurance this is still not illegal in the UK.

If she does something wrong or harms someone and they decide to take her to court she will be personally liable for all costs incured, including making the payment to the claimant should the court find against her and award any compensation.

I think it's awful how people can do this when we all spend so much time and money getting the proper qualifications :mad: xx

It is frustrating, annoying and indeed unfair - but it happens!

It happens to me, in my town I have people offering tans, nails etc for ludicrous prices. I maintain my prices, my standards and my professionalism.

People have a choice as to where they spend their money, I often liken it to supermarkets. Some go for the bargain option, maybe Lidl or Aldi. Some go for affordable quality like Sainsburys or Tesco. Then some like to shop in Waitrose and Marks & Spencers - the luxury end of the market.

Pick your target market and aim your prices and services accordingly. I market myself toward the mid range, not too cheap and not too expensive.

Try not to let it bug you, she cannot be making any money with the prices she charges. Concentrate on offering the best experience and service you can and people will vote with their feet.

xx

1. Hi all not sure if this is the right place to put this thread but hear goes theres an unqualified girl doing acrylics twinkle toes and spray tanning in my area shes got a facebook account and keeps posting full sets for £10 twinkle toes for £5 and spray tanning for £7.50 or get all three for £20 plus for the twinkle toes she puts glitter in acrylic and does it that way this can't be right shes trying to get clients off of propper nail tech's who are qualified can we report her or not :confused: x

Hmmm if she's not qualified she's not insured.
She could land herself with bigger problems.

But I'm guessing if she's not qualified or insured chances are she's not registered as a business either.

Which in this case means yes you can report her to the inland revenue.
She will receive an automatic fine of £100 if she's been trading over 3 months.
Also she will get investigated for tax evasion and may wind up with a nice bill from the tax man or even jail!

Her pricing seems a little crazy, however some choose to charge inline with their skill ;)

Just keep in mind with all of the short courses etc it is impossible to know if somebody is unqualified without them telling you so!

Reporting her for not reporting income based on an assumption is unwise. As is outing her on SG, where she may very well be a member - if you do not know without doubt.

If she is using professional products perhaps contact the distributor, they may choose to follow up. I know S2 did in a situation recently that came to light (lamp pun) on the forum. Depends on the brands she is using! Good luck! Xx

Hi Candy195
Can you put her facebook link up would like to see her work if their is photo's, it always puzzles me that people can have such low prices.

We do not allow links like this on here. Posting other peoples work for critique and without their knowledge is unfair and unprofessional. ;)

To the OP I would just ignore this girl, after all do you really want clients that only want to pay £10 for a set of nails?
I know I don't.

As Stacymackey has rightly said, how do you know she is unqualified, she could have done a 1 day course, enought to get herself a qualification.

Also if that is all she is charging she is not making any money by time she buys her products (even cheap low end ones) and won't be around for too long.

If I were you I would just concentrate on my own business and make sure my clients were happy with my workmanship and professionalism, thats what brings them back!! Repeat custom is what builds your business, not one off people looking for the cheapest deal.

Last edited:
  1. Hi all not sure if this is the right place to put this thread but hear goes theres an unqualified girl doing acrylics ...........

How do you know she's unqualified? I'm not defending her if she is, just wondering how you know?

I know shes not because she is a friend of a friend and she buys her products off of ebay so shes paying over the odds for them so she cant be i don't wants clients like theses but it does wind me up when i've spent thousands on training to get cowgirls like this gets me mad thats all :mad:

If she is paying over the odds for products then she cant be making any money at those prices xxxx

I think the best way to deal with these people is make sure every customer/potential client and mutual friend understands how what you do us different-how you are professional, i.e. training, insurance, registered with IR, understand the risks involved in using potentially dangerous products off eBay etc. That way people will begin to understand what this girl is doing wrong, without you actially pointing the finger or getting involved.

I dunno why you bother wasting your time on the so called competiton.....do your own thing, and perfect your abilities and your skill. People/clients do know the difference. Even if this so called non pro is training or student, we've all started somewhere. Just saying, ignore it and do your thing! xoxo

i've been doing nails for 10 years now so prity much got them to a t still keep doing courses tho got to keep up to date in this game and this girls not training shes just doing it for abit of extra money shes not affecting me just winds me up that we all spend thousand on training for sombody like her to come along x

I wouldn't worry about them! Just make sure you do a lovely job everytime AND word will spread , you will always get people going for the cheap and nasty treatments but personally I don't care what I spend if it's a good job done then it's worth the money x

I used to get so angry about this as well, it really used to upset me and I always used to ask my self why I bothered spending lots training and doing it all right! How they can charge so little and get get lots of clients and yet I couldn't go that low.

Bu then I did the maths, here's an example for you
I charge for a tan £15
Someone down the road charged £7.50

Me: 10 tans - I make £150
They: 10 tans - they make £75

That's a big difference. And price wise of having to buy the stock as well.

But people do try the cheap places, the amount of clients I have who come in and say they Tryed the £7.50 tan and found it patchy and orange ect, and end up sticking with me for using a nice tan. They don't mind paying more, I keep my prices very mid range, I'm not over priced or underpriced.

Latest posts

Back