Unrealistic expectations

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll comment as a mum and potential customer. Last year my youngest daughter (16 at the time) decided she wanted to go from a natural lightly highlighted 5-6 to grey. We looked for the right hairdresser to do the job (I personally was often a bit deceived about professional hai-colouring); the first one we visited in Paris was asking for 300EUR to do the job. A local shop selling professional products to hairdressers gave us a wonderfull adress, who did a very nice job for 220EUR (https://www.instagram.com/le_salon_b/, my daughter's result https://www.instagram.com/p/BTW8arrBHv_/?taken-by=le_salon_b).
Seeing the picture of the result above, I would have also found it was too soft of a change and the impression I'm never going to get where I want), and 3 appointments to be a lot. I do see picture of hairdressers doing a very good balayage job in one session but the price would be around 160EUR or a bit more (https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/1022497772/latelier-des-fees/). To catch up, the hairdresser could propose to achieve a much lighter blond through just one appointment with maybe price reduction, but I have the impression her manager would not give her the flexibility to do that, as she can't keep the client more than one hour. I might also just try to find another hairdresser.
Otherwise, I do find the result on the photograph, very natural-looking and pretty.

Last edited:
I'll comment as a mum and potential customer. Last year my youngest daughter (16 at the time) decided she wanted to go from a natural lightly highlighted 5-6 to grey. We looked for the right hairdresser to do the job (I personally was often a bit deceived about professional hai-colouring); the first one we visited in Paris was asking for 300EUR to do the job. A local shop selling professional products to hairdressers gave us a wonderfull adress, who did a very nice job for 220EUR (https://www.instagram.com/le_salon_b/, my daughter's result https://www.instagram.com/p/BTW8arrBHv_/?taken-by=le_salon_b).
Seeing the picture of the result above, I would have also found it was too soft of a change and the impression I'm never going to get where I want), and 3 appointments to be a lot. I do see picture of hairdressers doing a very good balayage job in one session but the price would be around 160EUR or a bit more (https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/1022497772/latelier-des-fees/). To catch up, the hairdresser could propose to achieve a much lighter blond through just one appointment with maybe price reduction, but I have the impression her manager would not give her the flexibility to do that, as she can't keep the client more than one hour. I might also just try to find another hairdresser.
Otherwise, I do find the result on the photograph, very natural-looking and pretty.

Thankyou for your comments, I own the salon. These are my prices. & I feel that by saying I could do more and charge cheaper is rude!

My technique, consultation and now my prices are being scrutinized.

I am not asking for advise on these things. Just help keeping an unrealistic client as happy as possible.

Last edited:
At no point did she ask for a standard ombre. She asked for a balayage which was more saturated on the bottom. Which is a mix of both (personal view) and again 10 wasn't light enough, so more will need doing.

Why is 40 vol with blonde me not allowed? I have never known this......and use this method ALL the time.

If you do not use foils to Balayage then that's fine but everybody works differently.

There's no right or wrong, this job is an art so we all have our own ways of doing things! ....and that's mine. I never freehand as I do not like the warmth it can sometimes throw out.

And what you have advised me to reply. Is what I have said....I now need advise moving forward.

She wants a refund as mentioned.

Yes she was skin tested, but I wasn't in and she never had a consultation prior to the day.. as she didn't book one. (She booked online and it clearly states that all new clients are advised to have one)

She only had one before the appointment on the day

X

I’m going to say Blonde me in foils with 40vol is probably against their instructions, I’m just saying I would be careful of offering this information to a client who has complained.

Just keep it professional - if the 17 year old has for what has been confirmed in the consultation you don’t need to explain what you did and why.

Just say everything was explained and we don’t offer refunds.

I’m going to say Blonde me in foils with 40vol is probably against their instructions, I’m just saying I would be careful of offering this information to a client who has complained.

Just keep it professional - if the 17 year old has for what has been confirmed in the consultation you don’t need to explain what you did and why.

Just say everything was explained and we don’t offer refunds.
I'll have to check the box I really wasn't aware of that.

I'll have to check the box I really wasn't aware of that.

It’s an aggressive lightener where on most the instructions is to use 2% or 6% - max 9%

Just saying in this day and age I wouldn’t give too much information about what your using

Thankyou for your comments, I own the salon. These are my prices. & I feel that by saying I could do more and charge cheaper is rude!

I am not asking for advise on these things. Just help keeping an unrealistic client as happy as possible.

Sorry - no intention of being rude. If you read me, it's a comment from a customer point of view and not an advice. So please do as you see fit. I can't tell whether it is possible to negotiate a solution to get the client happy, as the mom seems hard-going.
When I am not so happy with a hairdresser, I don't complain, but I don't come back either.

Just going to pop my opinion in....

I think it’s gorgeous. HOWEVER it’s the clients hair.

Have you got a picture of what it is she wanted to achieve? Personally, I think it is subtle and I would have freehanded if she wanted a more saturated look. Now, however, We all do things differently and YOU TOLD HER that this would take YOU 3 sittings to get it to the desired outcome.
Therefore, she either does two things.
1. Wants you to do her hair, trusts your advice and goes ahead (which she does)
Or
2. goes elsewhere to someone else who would have maybe free handed it or maybe not. That’s why we find a stylist we like and re book! ;)

Everyone can all say you should have done this or that regarding your technique. But the point is, You have made it clear it would take you 3 sittings. Therefore, you offer to re do it, maybe book it in with someone else who could give a heavier look, but you absolutely do not give a refund. Refund for what? She got the service you offered and agreed upon. In 3 sittings it’ll look how she wanted it. Like you told her, before you started!

Honestly, some people. Probably not the best thread for me to have read after a bad Saturday in salon and only a chrisp sandwich stuffed down me in 2 mins flat for lunch!

Sorry you feel like that but people are just giving another perspective on it.

If I was in this situation I feel like your response shut down the situation, it came across you didn’t do anything wrong, this was the product I used, this is what she booked for.

From the other side what they are saying is that the result is too subtle. This happens from time to time. If it was me I maybe would agree it is subtle, but the lift is there. The Mum is say some parts are coloured so in lay man terms if her daughter wanted it all coloured then why wasn’t this done.

Personally I run a business too and sometime I do say yes it is subtle, sorry it’s not noticeable enough, pop back in and I’ll add a few more. Maybe round the face to be more noticeable.

I weigh up having an unhappy client, where it could be rectified quickly or being asked for a refund, risk loosing this client and/or her family.

Good luck with whatever you’d decide

Unrealistic expectation is around every corner
I cut the the hair of a new client a fortnight ago and spent 1 HOUR!! in consultation regarding a colour.....
After much discussion and visuals we agreed on Lowlights with a few highlights....she’s a natural base 4.
She POPPED in again this week, and I spent a further 45 minutes discussing the results of the strand test....and carried out the skin test.

Today was the day!

I go over what we are doing....soft caramel L/L and a few highlights around the front.......

No....., I want this....out comes s picture of a base 7, with creamy white lights....

It made NO DIFFERENCE what I said/advised.....
She now wants highlights.....
........”It will be to contrasting.....”
“But that is what I want.....”

I explain the picture she presents is a lighter base.....she will need to come back in a month or so, and we can pop a few more pieces in to achieve that look.....
“Will I have to pay again ?”......

Is it me......or am I missing something

The job is done.... not my best work, as I Hate doing light on such a dark base....3 hours of angst for £90.00.....(no tip!)

Enjoy your weekend Ladies.....

I cut the the hair of a new client a fortnight ago and spent 1 HOUR!! in consultation regarding a colour.....
After much discussion and visuals we agreed on Lowlights with a few highlights....she’s a natural base 4.
She POPPED in again this week, and I spent a further 45 minutes discussing the results of the strand test....and carried out the skin test.

Today was the day!

I go over what we are doing....soft caramel L/L and a few highlights around the front.......

No....., I want this....out comes s picture of a base 7, with creamy white lights....

I explain the picture she presents is a lighter base.....she will need to come back in a month or so, and we can pop a few more pieces in to achieve that look.....

The job is done.... not my best work, as I Hate doing light on such a dark base....3 hours of angst for £90.00.....(no tip!)

Ohhh god I feel for you ....and I rest my case! Xx

Today was the day!

I'm with you, some people don't get that something that looks good on Kim K isn't gonna look good on them with their budget.

I've told clients in the past to go to a different stylist in the salon because it's not my thing...

I'm with you, some people don't get that something that looks good on Kim K isn't gonna look good on them with their budget.

I've told clients in the past to go to a different stylist in the salon because it's not my thing...

100% I have told people the same, I’m also not booking in people who aren’t on the same page as me. If they don’t understand why it can’t be don’t then I don’t do it

Regardless it’s a different technique to what she asked for

As the stylist it’s up to you to tell the client what can or can’t be done which I believe the girl was told. There are so many different techniques to achieve this look, and gradually is the best way in my opinion.

Uggh i feel for you. Stand by your guns in my opinion.

She says it's not what "we" asked for but she wasn't there when you had the consultation and hair appointment. I may be wrong but i expect her daughter has fibbed about what was said.

I would say that the outcome was fully explained to your daughter, who agreed that she would go ahead with the appointment with the understanding that it would take three appointments to reach the desired outcome.

I do not presume to know how much money a client has. If at any time she has said she could not afford more appointments then i would have discussed other options with her. Unfortunately I'm not able to refund any part of her treatment as we did exactly what was agreed.

I don't suppose you took a before picture? X

As the stylist it’s up to you to tell the client what can or can’t be done which I believe the girl was told. There are so many different techniques to achieve this look, and gradually is the best way in my opinion.

Can I ask why? The client has virgin hair and wanted a level 10 light blonde, the hairdresser is using a good quality lightener plus insulating for lift. The picture shows the technique was done so that hair was coloured with natural left out- therefore the result was too subtle. The formula was correct but the client is complaining about the technique .

If it was heavily saturated it could have been close to what the client wanted, if you repeat over three appointments you will overlap an already aggressive lightener therefore more likely to cause more damage surely?

Can I ask why? The client has virgin hair and wanted a level 10 light blonde, the hairdresser is using a good quality lightener plus insulating for lift. The picture shows the technique was done so that hair was coloured with natural left out- therefore the result was too subtle. The formula was correct but the client is complaining about the technique .

If it was heavily saturated it could have been close to what the client wanted, if you repeat over three appointments you will overlap an already aggressive lightener therefore more likely to cause more damage surely?

I see why you’re saying that but I’d be advising my client to do olaplex treatments in between to strengthen the hair ready for the double/triple process, and even then that would be judged on integrity of the hair. I don’t use bleach with 40 vol unless it’s a clay lightener open air developing (Which you don’t get as much lift with I always find balayaging in foil is more effective for lifting) Schwarzkopf do not recommend using 40vol with blonde me therefore I would not of got that level of lift within the allocated hour slot, or mananged to do a full head of balayage either. Full head balayage usually takes me around 2hours with toning. (Not including cut and finish or blow dry) I tend to start with bleach and 30vol then up it to 30 as I move up the hair. Virgin hair can be a bugger to lift depending on the undertones that the hair throws out and seeing as the lady I’m sure was a base 5-6, it would have been orange undertones. Once the bleach was left on for manufacturers recommended time (45 mins) i would be rinsing off and toning. Hair will only do so much sometimes virgin or coloured hair. I would personally lift slowly and keep integrity of the hair, olaplex in between then go in again but that what I’m comfortable with doing and that’s what I stick to. I also explain to clients that it is a gradual process (like op did) and explain the average cost of each application. (Also as the op did). Im now thinking of getting something drawn up for balayage clients to sign explaining the process so I would have proof they agreed to it.

This forum is ment for us to help/offer advice to other professionals in our industry.
EssexFreelance her application method is personal choice just because it’s not the way you would do things doesn’t mean it is incorrect, you should spend less time criticising others and focus on helping eachother.
Lottie I think you’ve done a great job for your first session.
Please ignore any negative comments as I know on here peoples comments can quite often make you question your abilities.
You explained it’s not a one appointment service and that’s its a gradual thing, if they didn’t listen properly it’s there fault.
You can’t please everyone in this profession, as long as you had explained why when and how and are confident in your abilities.
You are the professional for a reason!
Spread positivity not criticism.

[edited by a moderator to remove personal insult]

Last edited by a moderator:
This forum is ment for us to help/offer advice to other professionals in our industry.
EssexFreelance her application method is personal choice just because it’s not the way you would do things doesn’t mean it is incorrect, you should spend less time criticising others and focus on helping eachother, no one likes a b***h..
Lottie I think you’ve done a great job for your first session.
Please ignore any negative comments as I know on here peoples comments can quite often make you question your abilities.
You explained it’s not as one appointment service and it’s a gradual thing, if they didn’t listen properly it’s there fault.
You can’t please everyone in this profession, as long as you had explained why when and how and are confident in your abilities.
You are the professional for a reason!
Spread positivity not criticism.

I fully support red Lottie and wouldn’t of been able to get it as light as she did, i think she has done a wonderful job And her consultation was extremely thorough from start to finish. I hope no one thinks I was criticising in my above post, essexfreelance asked why I wouldn’t do it in one sitting so I explained what I’m comfortable with doing.

Oh not at all some people just think they can do everything and know everything.. *eyeroll

Oh not at all some people just think they can do everything and know everything.. *eyeroll

Nothing to do with that but why do we all client bash all the time when you could look at how you could improve the situation. It wasn’t just me but a few people did mention maybe, just maybe, the application wasn’t the right one. If I get a complaint I look at what I could have done differently.

I’m sorry if you feel giving a different viewpoint is being critical. I didnt realise we all had to have to have the same view on things on here.

[edited by a moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back