Unrealistic expectations

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redlottie13

JUST BE NICE
Reaction score
Hi all received bad feedback from a client who will not accept that her daughter cannot go from base 5 to platinum blonde (saturated ombre/Balayage) in 3 hours and pay only 100 for the pleasure!

She's now asking for a refund, which I will not do as we have not done anything technically incorrect!

So in a nutshell: ( she's isn't happy because we had a price increase,..... She cancelled her first app for her daughter at the time of booking it was the old price and when she re booked she ignored the new prices on the email, apparently she doesn't think Balayage should be done with foils, she wants blonder than base 10 in one sitting)

Please can you geeks advise, I don't have a pic of what she wants but she wants a saturated ombre with platinum blonde. I explained this would take a couple of times. The daughter was fine with this......

What's my next step?

Please see below emails ......

My email. To client (names have been started out): After receiving a bad review on my booking system(thankfully I can approve these!)

I have received your review on our system and am sorry that you are unhappy with **** hair. I have tried to call you but was unable to get through.

With every client I meet for the first time I have a consultation prior to the colour service starting.

I asked **** for her end goal /what colour she wanted- she showed me heavily coloured/bleached hair. I explained that this would take a couple of appointments /a build up of colour. (This is because **** has what we call in the industry virgin hair)

This is great as it's a blank canvass and we can build up the colour without compromising the condition. ( I am extremely strict on this and will not ever damage my clients hair...I'm sure you understand this is how we remain professional )

The service **** had is called Balayage stage one, due to the fact that it can take up to 3 appointments to acheive the end goal.

I used the strongest possible peroxide available in the UK. And the best bleach available on the market. I am sorry you feel this isn't light enough for you, but it has infact been lifted 5 levels to a base 10 (very light blonde).

In regards to the price increase. That came into play last week. This is solely due to a price increase of products we buy. We have put this off for as long as possible and are no longer able to swallow the cost. You should have had an email informing you of the price when you changed your appointment.

I will contact my administrator and ask them for the emails sent to you so I can check you have received this. I sincerely hope this clears up the issues you have raised and I hope to see **** in the near future.

Client response:

I’ve tried calling you but you are away at the moment.

Thank you for explaining Balayage however the point is this isn’t what we asked for. **** took your advice assuming it would be somewhere close to the photo however it looks like highlights and not many highlights at that. Family who saw it last night commented saying had anything been done.

In an ideal world it would be lovely to think that she could do 3 appointments at £100 each however this is unrealistic for a 17 year old. Even if it was what we had asked for it is practically unnoticeable with areas of her natural colour totally untouched.

We can continue to discuss this further if you would like however as we are not satisfied and this is nothing like what we asked for I am requesting some figure of refund.

I await your comments

IMG_20180412_173308_999.jpg

Last edited:
It’s tricky because you’re effectively dealing with two clients instead of one and trying to manage unrealistic expectations.

Whether the client can afford 3 successive colour appointments or not, isn’t your problem to fix.

(At 17, she’d probably like to drive a new mini, but most 17 yr olds can’t afford car insurance let alone buy a new car so you wouldn’t expect the car dealer to say, “oh that’s a shame, we’ll drop the price so you can drive off in a new car today”)

She wants a specific outcome, you’ve explained the process you plan to follow to achieve that outcome and how much it will cost.
It was her choice whether to go ahead or not.

In this case, there is nothing to refund because you have completed the initial colour service as requested and agreed by the client.

If she now wants to find a cheaper hairdresser, she’s welcome to visit someone else to complete the process.

You haven’t caused harm or done something different to what was agreed, so she has no case for a refund.

Exactly what AcidPerm said. It clearly is what was asked for, this is just phase one. They agreed to it knowing it would take more than one session. Some people never cease to amaze me. Xx

This is why I don’t do under 18s -

The pic is nice but i guess what she is saying it that there isn’t enough of it. If you got it to a level 10 in places then why could you not apply more .

I’m not siding with the client but do you think possibly this is a technique issue as you haven’t explain why you couldn’t of given a heavier application.

This is why I don’t do under 18s -

The pic is nice but i guess what she is saying it that there isn’t enough of it. If you got it to a level 10 in places then why could you not apply more .

I’m not siding with the client but do you think possibly this is a technique issue as you haven’t explain why you couldn’t of given a heavier application.
She wanted lighter than a 10. She wanted platinum blonde on all of the bottom. I used 40 vol with blonde me for 55 mins.

If I done this on the same day it would have taken up 2 appointments = double the cost x

She wanted lighter than a 10. She wanted platinum blonde on all of the bottom. I used 40 vol with blonde me for 55 mins.

If I done this on the same day it would have taken up 2 appointments = double the cost x

Was it virgin hair?? The lightest level you get is 10, did she show you a picture?

I think this is down to consultation then, I would have said what your asking for would cost £200. If they decline then you could have said that you explained the process.

You have done a partial Balayage which looks subtle rather than heavier saturation on the ends so it looks more noticeable.

I probably wouldn’t be tell clients I use the strongest product available it can give them more ammunition against you- also did they complain you placed it in foils?

Just re read it was virgin hair, sorry but I do think they have a point. To have a fully saturated ombré on virgin hair isn’t unrealistic at all, there is no need to build it up, if anything by applying over 3 appointments you will be overlapping blonde me and 40vol

You could have done a different technique and achieved in one sitting, it wasn’t a colour correction that needed to be over several appointments.

I think it’s break down of communication in consultation and the technique is too subtle

Just re read it was virgin hair, sorry but I do think they have a point. To have a fully saturated ombré on virgin hair isn’t unrealistic at all, there is no need to build it up, if anything by applying over 3 appointments you will be overlapping blonde me and 40vol
You could have done a different technique and achieved in one sitting, it wasn’t a colour correction that needed to be over several appointments.
I think it’s break down of communication in consultation and the technique is too subtle

The OP asked for advice regarding dealing with unrealistic expectations from a young client and her over-involved mother.
It’s not really fair to suggest her consultation was at fault as you weren’t there and we don’t know what was discussed.

In my experience, young clients want one thing and their parent (who is often footing the bill) has a different idea and it’s the parent who creates the drama.

Now you are being unfair....please read thoroughly before you disect my technique and consultation.

She booked BALAYAGE STAGE ONE.
(60 minutes for 100)
but wanted the work of a longer appointment, but didn't want to pay more for it!

Yes you are right I could have overlapped, yes I could have reached higher than a ten if I left it on on longer. But all my appointments get a time allocation and she only booked in for one appointment not longer which obviously would mean it would cost more money. ....which I have mentioned she didn't want to pay more (please read her mums email. Her daughter thought she would get close to the picture in one sitting)= but not pay for it!

I done a consultation and she had just enough money to cover the appointment she booked in for, hence why I said in my response UPTO 3 sittings (each client is different)

Please see her mums response "she's 17 and cannot afford it" it's not my responsibility as a salon owner to ask her what her financial situation is!

So yes you are correct, but I have done all of what you have said. And now she's complaining.
As @AcidPerm said it's dealing with her I want help with.......

Yes she had a problem with it being foiled too x

Last edited:
Was the mother there at consultation stage?

It sounds like they've used selective hearing heard yes we can achieve this.... (ignored in 3 sessions) and heard £100 on the first go.

I would ask her to come in and see you, with the daughter and just reiterate that it needs 2 more applications to get the result she wants, she has paid you for the work you have done, I don't see why she has a problem.

If you go to a restraunt and order a side dish because you're broke, you can't complain that it hasn't filled you up!

On another note, you don't need to explain why you have upped your prices and say we've been holding off long enough or I didn't wanna put them up. It makes us sound like we have a choice, or were trying our luck by charging more. That's your prices, don't feel like you have to explain them!

Hope it all works out ok, let us know what happens x

I actually disagree, The integrity of the hair is of upmost importance and to get that much coverage of blonde at platinum level I would only be happy to do it in stages not in one hit. Virgin hair or not. I can’t imagine the 17 year old has the money to or mother has the money to look after the hair with all products needed to keep it healthy if that amount and level of lifting was done in one go. Sometimes virgin hair can also throw out a lot of undertones, just because it’s virgin hair doesn’t mean it will lift to a clean blonde easily.

Was the mother there at consultation stage?

It sounds like they've used selective hearing heard yes we can achieve this.... (ignored in 3 sessions) and heard £100 on the first go.

I would ask her to come in and see you, with the daughter and just reiterate that it needs 2 more applications to get the result she wants, she has paid you for the work you have done, I don't see why she has a problem.

If you go to a restraunt and order a side dish because you're broke, you can't complain that it hasn't filled you up!

On another note, you don't need to explain why you have upped your prices and say we've been holding off long enough or I didn't wanna put them up. It makes us sound like we have a choice, or were trying our luck by charging more. That's your prices, don't feel like you have to explain them!

Hope it all works out ok, let us know what happens x

Thanks Jamie!...no the mum wasn't there.

Now I've got to stop myself comparing her to a side dish as I blooming love that example [emoji38]

I love the result. You have nothing to refund, you did everything as you explained and they agreed. From a legal point of view the money that the mum gave to the daughter for the session include also the permission to say ''yes'' to the conditions you listed. Also your conditions were visible on the website for the mother, so she must have informed herself that this is a 60 min sitting.... You fulfilled the contract with the under-18-year old. I am not a lawyer, a hairdresser :D But believe me, I have dealt with this situation and its disgusting... also ... what is that kind of mother? This is not the mothers hair wtf, but the daugthers :D Sometimes parents treat their children like possesions.

Sorry, my English is not that good.

Thanks Jamie!...no the mum wasn't there.

Now I've got to stop myself comparing her to a side dish as I blooming love that example [emoji38]
Side dish Suzie [emoji23][emoji23]. Best not to call her that!

Maybe an idea in future, if they're under 18, or you know the parent is paying for it then they should be there. However she can't complain on behalf of the daughter when she wasnt there in the first place.

The mother probably thinks £100 is a lot to pay for hair and she thought it was going to be a really drastic change for that money. She is in the mindset that the more you pay, the more different the hair should be.

But you don't owe her a refund, stay friendly but also strong, you know you explained this to the daughter beforehand so they can't now expect it to be the final result after one go. No matter what any other hairdresser says about being able to do it on one sitting is irrelevant, you didn't believe it would and you told her this beforehand so you've given her what you told her you would for the price.

I love the result. You have nothing to refund, you did everything as you explained and they agreed. From a legal point of view the money that the mum gave to the daughter for the session include also the permission to say ''yes'' to the conditions you listed. Also your conditions were visible on the website for the mother, so she must have informed herself that this is a 60 min sitting.... You fulfilled the contract with the under-18-year old. I am not a lawyer, a hairdresser :D But believe me, I have dealt with this situation and its disgusting... also ... what is that kind of mother? This is not the mothers hair wtf, but the daugthers :D Sometimes parents treat their children like possesions.

Sorry, my English is not that good.
Your English is fine! Thankyou for the legal help to... I have a bad feeling I'll need it with her! X

Thanks! If you have to deal with legal issues, just stick to the point that you explained your conditions and your price and that the conditions are visible for everyone. Also the mum could have come to the salon with the daughter to ensure that her girl is treated well :D and that all the conditions of the contract are clear. But she just let the daughter go alone... This means she took the risk to not communicate with you personally. This is just what I said to a 90 percent same mum and case once. I am extremely good at cutting hair and sometimes suck in colour (working on it). I have A LOT of young girls that come to me wanting layered long hair or sexy hairstyles. Once there was this daughter with hair under the butt and wanted layers, also showed me a picture. She was okay with cutting a lot of it to give it a bit of volume. I also did subtle highlights with olaplex jut like she wanted and she loved the result. The mum came and told me it was a crime to charge her 150 euro for this, the highlights were not visible enough for the price.

WTF? :D

The OP asked for advice regarding dealing with unrealistic expectations from a young client and her over-involved mother.
It’s not really fair to suggest her consultation was at fault as you weren’t there and we don’t know what was discussed.

In my experience, young clients want one thing and their parent (who is often footing the bill) has a different idea and it’s the parent who creates the drama.

Of course we could all say yes the client is bonkers and doesn’t get the process etc etc

However in the post it said she hasn’t done anything technically wrong- which I am just saying maybe she actually has. A client with virgin hair has booked in for the wrong service - which happens all the time- she’s shown a picture of a service with will take much longer. It’s nothing to do with how long the bleach was left on for. It’s level 5 virgin hair and she wanted a light blonde ombré and she got a subtle Balayage .

Was the 17 year old skin tested and had a consultation prior to the appointment? This would have highlighted in fact she was requesting a much larger service.

If so then my reply to the mother would simply be either - we explained to your daughter that this look wasn’t achievable in one sitting, she agreed that this was how she want to proceed with having colour over three appointments.

Or sorry she’s not happy with the subtleness of the look, we are more than welcome to book her back in.

I wouldn’t tell her what you did technically as you used 40vol Blonde me in foils on virgin hair which probably isn’t allowed. The girl has obviously said it was foil when she booked in for a Balayage.

I actually disagree, The integrity of the hair is of upmost importance and to get that much coverage of blonde at platinum level I would only be happy to do it in stages not in one hit. Virgin hair or not. I can’t imagine the 17 year old has the money to or mother has the money to look after the hair with all products needed to keep it healthy if that amount and level of lifting was done in one go. Sometimes virgin hair can also throw out a lot of undertones, just because it’s virgin hair doesn’t mean it will lift to a clean blonde easily.

Regardless it’s a different technique to what she asked for

Of course we could all say yes the client is bonkers and doesn’t get the process etc etc

However in the post it said she hasn’t done anything technically wrong- which I am just saying maybe she actually has. A client with virgin hair has booked in for the wrong service - which happens all the time- she’s shown a picture of a service with will take much longer. It’s nothing to do with how long the bleach was left on for. It’s level 5 virgin hair and she wanted a light blonde ombré and she got a subtle Balayage .

Was the 17 year old skin tested and had a consultation prior to the appointment? This would have highlighted in fact she was requesting a much larger service.

If so then my reply to the mother would simply be either - we explained to your daughter that this look wasn’t achievable in one sitting, she agreed that this was how she want to proceed with having colour over three appointments.

Or sorry she’s not happy with the subtleness of the look, we are more than welcome to book her back in.

I wouldn’t tell her what you did technically as you used 40vol Blonde me in foils on virgin hair which probably isn’t allowed. The girl has obviously said it was foil when she booked in for a Balayage.
At no point did she ask for a standard ombre. She asked for a balayage which was more saturated on the bottom. Which is a mix of both (personal view) and again 10 wasn't light enough, so more will need doing.

Why is 40 vol with blonde me not allowed? I have never known this......and use this method ALL the time.

If you do not use foils to Balayage then that's fine but everybody works differently.

There's no right or wrong, this job is an art so we all have our own ways of doing things! ....and that's mine. I never freehand as I do not like the warmth it can sometimes throw out.

And what you have advised me to reply. Is what I have said....I now need advise moving forward.

She wants a refund as mentioned.

Yes she was skin tested, but I wasn't in and she never had a consultation prior to the day.. as she didn't book one. (She booked online and it clearly states that all new clients are advised to have one)

She only had one before the appointment on the day

X

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back