Unsure about Gel ll

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xkayla_herex

Xamyx
Reaction score
I am trying Gell ll for the second time now and am still unsure about it.

The first time I used it was just over two weeks ago I used drive me crazy.
In only applied two coats if the colour as I wanted to see how long it's last compared to shellac. It was quite translucent so a third coat would definitely looked better, I had this colour on for 17 days untill I took it of today, although it had already chipped after only three days all on the right hand and the after about 10 days one or two had chipped on the left hand.

I thought I would give it another chance as it has such great reviews so I removed the old colour and applied baby teal.

This time I have done three coats which looks a lot better however I really didn't like the application. The first coat I done was really translucent and would hardly stay put on the nail I had to lighty flow the colour on the nail and not put much pressure on it, it's like it needed a base coat first to stick to (I had shakes the bottle as well as mixes with orange wood stick)

The second coat applied better but I still had to apply really thick and glide it lightly over the nail and the same with the third coat. At the end of each application I had to go over each free edge to make sure it stayed on.

I'm not sure if this application is just something I need to get used to as shellac is applied so thinly? I'm going to see how it lasts this time with three coats I have applied a picture if anyone could let me know their opinions and wether they think I have applied too thick that would be great.

I set in my shellac uv light which my nails felt slightly like they were burning when I was setting the first coat :-s not sure if this is normal?

Does anyone else have a problem with application? Any advise would be great xx ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1420732904.975128.jpg

I'm still not 100% either. Applied my second application on tues so far so good although the first lot I applied only lasted 4 days without a chip. I like you am used to shellac so I've gone a bit thinker this time.

It really does not like the free edge on my nails and didn't seem to adhere nicely either. I only did two coats but have used a bit more too. Like you say it seems to want a base coat to stick too. I'm using the CND lamp too so we shall see this time.

Any advice on how to get it to stick to free edge on short nails please?

X

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1420741016.962944.jpg this is mine x

What did you pep the nails with? Don't use scrubfresh - it has too much acetone and affects the application and coverage.

I used Disperse to prep with. I was told this was fine to use x

Its a bit of a shock how thick it is compared to Shellac.

I prepped my nails using Mundo nail cleanser and gave the bottle a good shake in my pro shaker and it still appeared 'gloopy'.

I've applied a Reaction polish to my nails and have found its doing really well. 6 days in and it looks brand new without a single chip.

I'm not converted but so far I've had no problems and I've got a couple of friends who are willing to guinea pig it to see how long it lasts on them.

I guess the proof is in how long it lasts - and to my mind, how difficult it will be to remove!

Hi

When you prep the nail do you make totally sure the nail is dry before applying gel II

I'm using IPA until the gel II cleanse is back in stock which should be very soon as it's in the UK and just waiting to get thru customs

In this pic I've used a Baby Teal and only 2 coats.

Also my clients are having no problems and so many are getting longer than they did with other products.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 347
Yes I am waiting for it to be completely dry. Maz 101 do you buff before you remove? Also do you add heat?

Thanks x

I am trying Gell ll for the second time now and am still unsure about it.

The first time I used it was just over two weeks ago I used drive me crazy.
In only applied two coats if the colour as I wanted to see how long it's last compared to shellac. It was quite translucent so a third coat would definitely looked better, I had this colour on for 17 days untill I took it of today, although it had already chipped after only three days all on the right hand and the after about 10 days one or two had chipped on the left hand.

I thought I would give it another chance as it has such great reviews so I removed the old colour and applied baby teal.

This time I have done three coats which looks a lot better however I really didn't like the application. The first coat I done was really translucent and would hardly stay put on the nail I had to lighty flow the colour on the nail and not put much pressure on it, it's like it needed a base coat first to stick to (I had shakes the bottle as well as mixes with orange wood stick)

The second coat applied better but I still had to apply really thick and glide it lightly over the nail and the same with the third coat. At the end of each application I had to go over each free edge to make sure it stayed on.

I'm not sure if this application is just something I need to get used to as shellac is applied so thinly? I'm going to see how it lasts this time with three coats I have applied a picture if anyone could let me know their opinions and wether they think I have applied too thick that would be great.

I set in my shellac uv light which my nails felt slightly like they were burning when I was setting the first coat :-s not sure if this is normal?

Does anyone else have a problem with application? Any advise would be great xxView attachment 80866

It's a shame you felt you had to apply it really thick as it will more than likely chip now and it was possibly the reason why you were experiencing a heat spike in the lamp.

I love the application of Gel II, it's a beautiful and creamy consistency and the brush makes the application lovely. Make sure you are cleaning along and under the free edge with your IPA whilst you wait for the Cleanse and that will help reduce shrinkage, along with stirring your bottles before rolling them.

By the way, techs on the Facebook group are starting to remove Gel II without buffing off the top coat and getting fantastic results. I'm still adjusting my removal technique but it's great to know the results others are having.

I am tempted to try it but i can´t get my head around no base coat, this is probably the reason for the burning sensation when curing. Is it similar to China Glaze Gelaze? that too is simply a colour and top coat. I will be quizzing them at the excel:cool:

I bought a few of the Reactions colours. Only tried it on one client so far. Does anyone else find the stuff really stinky though? Smells so strong compared to OPI GelColor and Gelish, its putting me off.

That's strange as I don't really find there is a smell.

I have buffed prior to removal and I've also done removals without buffing, removal time only varied by a minute or so in tight wraps. My recomendation is to make sure you twist the top of the wrap and not fold, this makes a big difference, you can add heated must (microwave ones not plug in) these are really cheap £6 with postage for two from ebay but vue done removals with and without heat, heat I tend to use in couple of client that always have cold hands.

Did you stir the gel II™ reaction polish first then roll/shake the bottle this will mix it correctly so not gloopy/thick

I am tempted to try it but i can´t get my head around no base coat, this is probably the reason for the burning sensation when curing. Is it similar to China Glaze Gelaze? that too is simply a colour and top coat. I will be quizzing them at the excel:cool:

Hiyas

Only one if my clients has had a slight sensation with gel II™ and she gets it when having hard gel enhancements too. She does have thin nails naturally which is why she has gel II™ Lol

I bought a few of the Reactions colours. Only tried it on one client so far. Does anyone else find the stuff really stinky though? Smells so strong compared to OPI GelColor and Gelish, its putting me off.

OMG you're so right it really pongs! I've been impressed so far, so if I do take it on I'll just have to get over it lol

Karaxxx

I agree there is a strong smell when you initially open the bottle, but I don't notice it after a few minutes.

When I started using G2 I loved the application, brush size and how strong it made my nails feel. I really really wanted this to work for me as my nails are weak and bendy, and if it workedwell for me it would be good for clients with weak nails, it takes me ages to do my own nails, with IBX then Brisa lite, then shellac. My nails felt stronger with just 2 colour coats and a top coat of G2, and as I use the dashing diva light pod to cure it took a lot less time.

However, removal for me was a nightmare, I hated buffing the top coat, after Shellac's easy removal, and thought I had wasted my money. BUT...after reading different threads and info from other techs using it with great results, I decided to persevere and get a couple of friends to practice on.

It has definitely got easier, buffing top coat does get easier and quicker with practice, using a heated wheat bag makes a lot of difference to removal. There are definitely some colours that are more opaque than others, and the glitter polishes look better with a similar colour underneath.

I am still learning with G2, and liking it more as I get used to it.

On this site there are lots of techs that post problems with their chosen brands, wheather its colour fading, shrinking, lifting or difficulty removing, there are always people that will give help and advice.
Since I first started using Shellac, I have learnt different techniques that make application and removal very easy now, but there are still colours that I prefer applying than others, and colours that go on easier than others as well as some that need 3 coats.
I think that G2 will just take a bit of getting used to with a bit of trial and error along the way, but I'm sure my nails feel stronger with G2 than Shellac, and some of my clients agree, so I intend to keep running it alongside Shellac. x

It's weird because I was ready for the smell when I first got mine and I don't find it smells much at all. I'm a funny for one for that sort of thing too as I cannot stand CND Nourishing Remover or DSperse, so I was pleasantly surprised. Also, I noticed the solvent smell with Shellac after using it post a couple of Gel II uses, so I now find Shellac has more of a smell for me.

It's weird because I was ready for the smell when I first got mine and I don't find it smells much at all. I'm a funny for one for that sort of thing too as I cannot stand CND Nourishing Remover or DSperse, so I was pleasantly surprised. Also, I noticed the solvent smell with Shellac after using it post a couple of Gel II uses, so I now find Shellac has more of a smell for me.

How funny, it goes to show that not everyone smells in the same way. I also find this with colour too, how different people see colour fascinates me.

For me Shellac has no smell and I don't find anything objectionable with the NR or Dsperse but I know others hate them. However, I find Gel II really awful so I'm just hoping that I can overcome it, if/when I add it.

Karaxxx

I have given it a go as well!! I love cnd shellac but heard such good reviews so thought I would give it a go!

Iv had mine on for 2 weeks, not one chip, nails feel nice and strong, it's super shiny still aswell which I'm impressed with! I thought it did smell a bit but doesn't bother me. The application is different to shellac and I still haven't mastered it but iv only done 2 sets!

Love the colours, found removal fine. I'm going to give a few more sets a go but think I will offer it a long side my shellac but only a small selection. It's worth a try but cnd shellac is still going to be the majority for most of my clients, just nice to offer something else as well

Hth x

So thought I would update you on how my nails have got on this time with the gel ll.

I have had in on for two weeks my left hand is perfect and could probaly get another week out of them but again my right hand has chipped on the corners.

Not sure what is causing this wether it could be I'm just heavy handed as I use right hand more, have I not applied it properly as I used my left hand to do it (although I don't have that problem with shellac but maybe it's needing to get used to different product)

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1421856221.596186.jpg

Above is the right hand that's chipped,the only nail that hasn't chipped is the ring finger. Below is a pic of the left non chipped hand.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1421856296.798120.jpg

Why does everyone try and compare Gel II to Shellac??
We are constantly told that Shellac is a power polish not a gel, gel II is a gel.........just saying. :cool:

Latest posts

Back