Unsure about staying self employed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
A bit of advice needed please...

I'm currently renting a chair in a salon and doing mobile work on a self employed basis, however right now im unsure if I want to stay doing this or seek employment either at the salon or another job.
The salon on a whole has gotten quieter over the last couple months and its a struggle to make a decent amount there with costs of the rent and products etc.

There is 5 of us there in total and up until now all of us have been self employed. One of the girls (the salon owners niece) has now become employed there but we've been kept on doing rent a chair but from January our rent is going up in price. This has caused a bit of friction at the salon as we cant quite see it being fair of us.
We all promote ourselves but right now I just don't know what I want. I love hairdressing so don't want to give it up.
Do I keep my head down and keep pushing at getting new clients being self employed or seek employment as I'm just not sure what to do as in the next couple years im going to want to think about a family or a house etc.

Help :(

Last edited:
I'm sorry I'm not going to be able to offer much advice but I just wanted to say this is almost exactly how my business is at the moment! I'm beauty, and rent a room, and we've been so so quiet and I just can't survive on what I'm making at the moment! My boyfriend keeps saying to push for new clients which I have tried to do, but I don't think he realises how difficult it can be! Especially the fact that I'm in a hair salon that's not 100% as professional as I try to be and I'm out the back so people see them first. Sounds awful as I love the girls so much, but I'm concerned about my reputation as a professional as well!

Just thought I'd let you know you're not the only one!!! Best of luck xxx

I feel your pain! I started renting a chair back in May, I've only been in this area couple years so don't really know anyone so have found it hard to get myself out there.
I have moments where I think maybe I would be better employed somewhere but think I really out to stick it out for at least a year to 18 months before I give up.
It will take time and you will need to bust your ass and not give up.

There's just toooooo many of us.:p
Supply is out stripping demand!:(

If it helps, I've been in this profession FOREVER....and I'm seeing tumbleweed......LOL

this is my third year of being self employed and this is the quietest ive been in at least a year or so. Nice to know im not on my own but its still hard to try work out what is going to be best for me and my future.
but thanks for the advise :) xx

Latest posts

Back