Unsure which type of nail system to use for actress

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emc66

Reaction score
hello salon geek forum,

I am a trained hair & makeup artist, and also trained in all things beauty, including gel polish nails and L&P acrylics, not Hard UV Gel though!
I work as a makeup and hair artist in the film industry, and I will be doing one of the actresses nails on a film, but as I trained in nails about 5 years ago, I would like to know what is recommended to use on her, as well as perhaps doing a refresher course in the given recommendation.
She has sensitive nails and I will have to do a 30s style nail art (pink/plum coloured with half-moon) and a classic french style. Due to filming schedule, we may have to jump back and forth between styles, so I'm wondering what is best to use? Whether I do a Uv Base gel-french style, and then paint a UV shellac or gel polish colour on top to do the second look? So I could just easily remove the shellac and leave the gel?
She does have a good length natural nail underneath, its just I'm worried she might break a nail, then I'll have to use tips to ensure continuity is correct, but then I'll have to use a gel base or acrylic L&P anyway....

Any suggestions would be MASSIVELY helpful. Thank you!

Stick ons, prepared with designs, use double sided tape for easy removal and reuse. CJP are currently selling full coverage nails at tge moment for techs to provide press on's to clients

Stick ons, prepared with designs, use double sided tape for easy removal and reuse. CJP are currently selling full coverage nails at tge moment for techs to provide press on's to clients
Thanks so much for your reply,
I had considered stick ons, however, from experience, they aren't very durable for a whole day, all it would take is a costume change and piiiing off they go, she will also be doing stunts and waving her hands around in the shot which will be close up on camera.. I'm aware we can glue the fake nail to the double sided tape but not the nail, which is good, but doesn't look amazing. And especially with the new filming guidelines due to covid, they would need to be as low maintenance as possible. The 30's style with colour and half-moon will be the most used style, probably 80% of the time..

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your reply,
I had considered stick ons, however, from experience, they aren't very durable for a whole day, all it would take is a costume change and piiiing off they go, she will also be doing stunts and waving her hands around in the shot which will be close up on camera.. I'm aware we can glue the fake nail to the double sided tape but not the nail, which is good, but doesn't look amazing. And especially with the new filming guidelines due to covid, they would need to be as low maintenance as possible. The 30's style with colour and half-moon will be the most used style, probably 80% of the time..

Anything more durable (gel/L&P/hybrid) will need soaking off, that's 30/45 minutes no-one has time for, quite apart from the impact on the skin and nails from repeated acetone soaks.

The fashion shows all use press on's, they makes several extras in all sizes for spares.

What about a peel off gel polish? Cuccio do a kit but perhaps you can buy the base separately:
https://www.cuccio.co.uk/?product_cat=&s=Cuccio+Veneer+Peel-It+Pre+Base&post_type=product
Alternatively the Nailebrity TAKE2 Wraps might be worth a look. Nailebrity has closed now, but my company still has some, that we prefer not to sell as they are very useful for competition training (you can easily remove gel or acrylic nails from the model). But if we can help you out, we will. Just send me a message.

Here's the company video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs2bJgtt9iyeBzVBx3XOPgQ

Sorry, that video was for a different Nailebrity product. They have removed the Base Wrap video. I found it here:

Applying the wrap

Removal

Review, application, gel polish, removal

Sorry, that video was for a different Nailebrity product. They have removed the Base Wrap video. I found it here:

Applying the wrap

Removal

Review, application, gel polish, removal

Thank you so much, that was very helpful! and exactly what I was looking for.

Could you use gel polish for your base style (french?) and then use regular quick drying nail polish (Vinylux, Infinite Shine) on top. You could use non-acetone remover to remove the rnp without damaging the gel polish underneath.

Latest posts

Back