Update on how my interview / practical at Salon went...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss_Biscuit

Reaction score
As previously posted, I had an interview for a Saturday job at a local, busy Salon with a very good rep.

I didn't get the job!

The salon owner said that she could not fault my work, said I did beautiful smile lines and that I seemed to have a natural aptitude for nails. But she said that she could not employ me when I take 3 hours to do a set.

I would not mind, but they did ask me about my timings when we spoke on the phone when I cold called them about a Saturday job.

She said that I need to practice and as soon as I can do a set in under two hours at least (They do sets in 1.5hrs.) then to call her again.

It's a Catch 22 though, I work full time in a stressful job so I can only do a set here and there at weekends, ppl on here said to the best way to get timings down is by getting a salon job, but salon won't take me on unless I get my timings down! LOL!

Oh well, keep on trying ay?

I have a friend who said I can practice on her, she will soak one hand off the night before I see her, every weekend and each weekend I will do that one hand, aiming to it within an hour at the most...

I took comfort in the fact that she only wouldn't employ me based on my times and not my skill, as timings can always improve, but I suppose if you haven't got the knack for nails it can be harder to improve on.

Miss B. x

Well done on the compliments with your application.:hug:
Your timings will improve, and it sounds like your friend to practice on will be a great help.
Good luck.

Miss B

There is soooo much emphasis on timing in salons I'm afraid, hang in their mate. Who knows maybe there is something better around the corner?

Like you say keep practising on your mate - it's a shame I'm not closer hun, you could of practised on me. I removed mine last night and can't be bothered at the mo to put a new set on!

You carry on doing beautiful nails, something will turn up!:hug: :hug:

Teri x

In the nails only salon I did the practical for they want you to do a set of tips in under an hour. That I can do. L&P still take me aout 2 hours. But rest assured, I do notice with just about every set my time gets faster. At this point it's better to have a slower time and do a good job.

Well done to you on getting such positive feedback. You will get faster the more sets you do. Great encouragement though, Id far sooner pay for a good set of nails in 3 hours than a bad set in 1 and a half. xx

I wouldn't like to be your friend :eek:

Soaking off her nails every weekend does not sound good!

Mmmmmmm, I agree, I'm not sure all that soaking off is a good idea. It would be better to find some extra volunteers.

Do you have a trainer hand? This would be great for practising and building up speed. Remember, don't compromise quality for speed though.

She has lovely, very healthy nails and it's only for a month or so to see how we go... Most of my mates are too busy for me to practice on, so needs must.

Plus, it's not going to kill anyone, maybe just dry her nails out a bit for a while, nothing some Nail Envy and Solar Oil cannot sort.... I did the same with my own nails when I qualified and mine aren't as even in half as good nick as my friends and I still own ten nails! LOL!

Mmmmmmm, I agree, I'm not sure all that soaking off is a good idea. It would be better to find some extra volunteers.

Do you have a trainer hand? This would be great for practising and building up speed. Remember, don't compromise quality for speed though.

The Salon mgr said not to even bother with my nail trainer... I agree, nothing beats a human hand, plus I need to get my timings down to include all prep too.

As I say in my other reply it's only for a few weeks, it won't cause any lasting damage and my friend has the healthiest strongest nails I have ever seen, plus it is only one hand every other week.

Thanks everone for your posts of support and advice so far. :green:

Just a thought to speed up your application .... make sure you work to a well established routine.... time can be cut down by working in a very well rehearsed order...and like Geeg would say, less faffing lol....when you do a set, time your steps, see where you are taking the longest and why....
Speed is something that comes with, yes I know you heard it all before,"Practice". Knowing that you have completed each step and don't have to back track and to check that is done perfectly.
The trainer hand can be usefull in this, reducing timing with your smile line work for example ,ok not with prepping, but hey you can work on your own nails for this too. Just don't go over board with the shine removal lol.....
You could work you own hand, if you can do one hand in an hour you know you can do 2 in 2 hours, advertise for some models, hey strangers are friends you havn't met yet xxxx Offer a model price, this way you can recoup the cost of your materials too...

As for soaking your friends nails, soaking her nails every weekend is not such a brill idea to be honest, this could lead to onycholysis from dehydrating the bed epithelium. Also frequent prepping this includes removing the shine, can lead to thinning of the nail plate.... just a thought xxxx
But I wish you luck with your timing, but as I said you will get faster with time and a great routine.....You will get there huni, I promise you xxxx

Latest posts

Back