Update on my shop ... and where can I advertise for staff?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rose143

Very Proud Creative Geek
Reaction score
Hi Peeps,

I'm sorry I've been so scarce, quite a cheek that I'm asking for help now but I lost the shop I so dearly wanted .... BUT I found a much better one!!!! I am absolutely scared to death as it is moving very quickly.

It's in a little village called East Grinstead and it's on the High Street!!! It's a beautiful 16th century building and I have fallen in love! It's very classy and was a beauty salon a few years ago. The prevoius salon was there for 11 yrs and never saw a quiet day according to my many sources. She fell ill with cancer and sold her client base to a salon in another village close by.

I've already had the builder/surveyor have a look and he says the structure of the shop is very good being such an old building. It even has a cellar which I can expand to :) I may even have a pet ghost!!!!!!! :) I am beside myself with worry and excitement.

I have the lease being looked at by my solicitor as I am buying it from the current Tenant. I am hoping to be in my shop by the end of March beginning of April. My diary is jammed, I cannot physically do any more clients, I've turned away loads of new business due to lack of staff which obviously leads to me to my question ...

Where is a good place to advertise for staff other than Geekbay? Shall I try colleges? I've used my website already. I would really appreciate any suggestions you may have guys, I'm truly stuck!!!! This is an amazing opportunity and I am really panicking as I need the help with my work load. What can I do?

Thanks for any help and info you may have! :hug:

xxxx

I can't really say alot other than good luck it sound great rose... wish I lived near you xx

maybe ring Leeds and ask after any newly train peeps near you, I'm sure they would help xx

i know that e grinstead has a free paper.... maybe try there in the job section hunnio.... ( i think its called the advertiser... altho dont quote me there!)
ive advertised via the job centre too

hth

Jess
xox

Why not try the trade mags :)

Thanks girls, that's helpful already, it's nice when others have a clearer head than me.

Thanks alot :hug:

xxxx

As above, you could also advertise in newsagent windows for a small fee... probably amounting to pence a week... (actually, down South.. perhaps not!)... in your own salon window... free local papers... the job centre is free too... you can advertise on the Guild too I think...

Congratulations, it sounds great... you must be worn out with all the work but it will be worth it in the end. xxxx

Hi Peeps,

I'm sorry I've been so scarce, quite a cheek that I'm asking for help now but I lost the shop I so dearly wanted .... BUT I found a much better one!!!! I am absolutely scared to death as it is moving very quickly.

It's in a little village called East Grinstead and it's on the High Street!!! It's a beautiful 16th century building and I have fallen in love! It's very classy and was a beauty salon a few years ago. The prevoius salon was there for 11 yrs and never saw a quiet day according to my many sources. She fell ill with cancer and sold her client base to a salon in another village close by.

I've already had the builder/surveyor have a look and he says the structure of the shop is very good being such an old building. It even has a cellar which I can expand to :) I may even have a pet ghost!!!!!!! :) I am beside myself with worry and excitement.

I have the lease being looked at by my solicitor as I am buying it from the current Tenant. I am hoping to be in my shop by the end of March beginning of April. My diary is jammed, I cannot physically do any more clients, I've turned away loads of new business due to lack of staff which obviously leads to me to my question ...

Where is a good place to advertise for staff other than Geekbay? Shall I try colleges? I've used my website already. I would really appreciate any suggestions you may have guys, I'm truly stuck!!!! This is an amazing opportunity and I am really panicking as I need the help with my work load. What can I do?

Thanks for any help and info you may have! :hug:

xxxx

Hey Rose, how are you doing hun, thought I hadn't seen you for a while.
Wish I was nearer hun, if you'd have me lol, good luck in your search :hug:

Hey Rose, how are you doing hun, thought I hadn't seen you for a while.
Wish I was nearer hun, if you'd have me lol, good luck in your search :hug:

Of course I'd have you ! :) Always a pleasure, hope you're well hun :hug:

xxxx

Hiya - long time no see, hope it all goes well, salon sounds lovely:)

Wow Rose, all sounds so exciting, mahoosive good luck to you :hug:

hi a great place to also advertise and may be free or very little would be you local beauty casha dn carry as all he newbes nail technitians go there for there bits and bobs, this is how i got my rented space try contacting them. hope it all goes well good luck

i wish you all the luck in the world for your new salon. xx

the only place i would think of advertising for staff would be the local jobcentre. i know its been said before.

you can also do it online so alot more people will be looking at it. hth xx

hi a great place to also advertise and may be free or very little would be you local beauty casha dn carry as all he newbes nail technitians go there for there bits and bobs, this is how i got my rented space try contacting them. hope it all goes well good luck

Thanks honey what a fabulous idea!! Thank you!

xxxx

i wish you all the luck in the world for your new salon. xx

the only place i would think of advertising for staff would be the local jobcentre. i know its been said before.

you can also do it online so alot more people will be looking at it. hth xx

Thanks very much, I've been on the website.

xxxx

Thanks to all for your good luck wishes, I will be inviting you all to me open day, it's gonna be huge!! We are having loads of eats and can't forget Bubbly!!! :lol:

xxxx

Wishing you lots of luck Rose.Although i don't think you'll need it as you have done so well with your mobile business.Something that didn't really take off for me.

Regarding the search for staff....i have found this thread very interseting because this has been my biggest problem.Getting the clients through the door and building a client base has not been a problem but getting people to turn up for work,turn up on time,not nick out of the till,not have 40 ciggarette breaks in 4 hours has been my biggest problem.

Remember to trade test your staff and be firm,even with yourself.At the end of the day ,as i have discovered , its not wheather you like someone or not but if there work is quality and the clients warm to them.For example i had a lovely girl working for me , mancurist,but had to let her go because i was constantly having to give out refunds and it seemed that no amount of refresh training done any good.Shame because i liked her.

The hardest thing is staff.God luck hun!xx:hug:

Wishing you lots of luck Rose.Although i don't think you'll need it as you have done so well with your mobile business.Something that didn't really take off for me.

Regarding the search for staff....i have found this thread very interseting because this has been my biggest problem.Getting the clients through the door and building a client base has not been a problem but getting people to turn up for work,turn up on time,not nick out of the till,not have 40 ciggarette breaks in 4 hours has been my biggest problem.

Remember to trade test your staff and be firm,even with yourself.At the end of the day ,as i have discovered , its not wheather you like someone or not but if there work is quality and the clients warm to them.For example i had a lovely girl working for me , mancurist,but had to let her go because i was constantly having to give out refunds and it seemed that no amount of refresh training done any good.Shame because i liked her.

The hardest thing is staff.God luck hun!xx:hug:

Thanks honey, that info is like gold dust. I had no idea you could have so many problems in a salon. Call me naive but I suppose you think if someone says they're passionate about what they do they'll be just as passionate as you. I suppose it comes in different levels and their attitudes alone can testify to this.

How sad you had to let that girl go. I can only imagine how hard that must have been. I really admire you :hug:

Yes mobile has worked very well for me for almost two years and I find myself really battling to enjoy it as much as what I used to because I know my shop is only a few weeks away. I've also built up an amazing relationship with my clients so they trust me and they trust me on my salon location, they are all going to follow and are very happy for me.

I think I did this business thing the right way around for me, it worked out very well for my clients and I. I hop I can inspire others to do the same.

xxxx

Latest posts

Back