Upper lip wax-client called to say is scabbed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arom

Reaction score
Hi there ladies, can you please help me with this?
So basically I've done this upper lip wax on Saturday and the client called in today to say the area scabbed on the sides. We offered her a refund and she accepted but she thinks the refund is not enough.
I wasn't in the salon today so one of my colleague refund her and send me the pic but I can't see any diffence from the picture. My colleague said it looked drier on the sides.
I've not done anything different that I normally do but her skin looked quite sensitive.
The question I have is - can we get sued? As I said she wasn't burned and she is not been to GP with this.
I am really upset as this never happened to me in 7 years.

What wax did you use? Did you go over the area more than once?

Hi there, thanks for the reply.
I've used the warm wax same one that we use for years .
Is in a clean and easy system and applied with the small roller.
It wasn't hot but was dragging a bit that time.
Didn't applied the wax twice on the same area, she wasn't on any medicated creams with retinol but as I said her skin looked sensitive. .
Really don't know what happend but so upset as I don't know what she wants us to do. x

Probably she is after some free treatments or something. Today is Wednesday and u waxed her on Saturday!!! The reaction caused by you should have been there earlier. Is she a regular?

Do you know what her skincare routine is & what she did over the weekend? Our skin does change slightly during the cold winter months so may be slightly more sensitive & drier.
It may also be worth considering changing to a non-strip wax & using a tiny amount of aftercare oil (blot after applying) before using the wax.
Contact your insurance company for their advice, and it's good that you got a photo for your records too. x

Hi there ladies, unfortunately I could not ask about her skin care or what she did over the weekend as she was very rude and if I would have ask she would have probably become worse thinking I want to blame her.
No, we never seen her before but I asked her where she normally has her waxing done and she said everywhere. :)
I hope we won't hear from her as she made it clear she doesn't want to use our treatments ever.

I would never use a warm wax on the face now...and never a roller...[emoji53]...I would look into changing your wax xx

Shame I feel your pain!
However refunding is an admission of guilt so yes if she tried to sue you she could but to be honest she wouldn't get very much or far. She could have eaten something sour to given her same result or gone sun tanning after wax and how is that your fault?! It is very difficult to prove in court so I really wouldn't worry. If she had a shiner or reaction she would have contacted you a lot sooner !!

And general rule of thumb in my years of experience if a client comes from another salon and bad mouthed them badly sooner or later they going to do the same to you and it more likely won't even be your fault...

Also if a client is so rude why would you want her ?!

O dear. It certainly sounds like she may have done this before & may be looking for free services. Don't take it to heart. We have all been there in one way or another, call it a learning curve & hope you never see her again x

There is no need to change your wax. Clean + easy roll on is perfect for delicate areas .
Sounds like the lady is after a freebie! [emoji51]

Wow ... I am quite shocked at how many replies are suggesting this client is after a freebie or she somehow caused the scabbing herself!
The reason a lip will scab like that is a layer of skin has been removed.
The causes of this are either the wax is too hot, the wax is too cold, the skin was not supported well enough, or the waxer removed the strip at the wrong angle.
Or the client is on a medication that thins the skin.
Or the skin is compromised.
And sometimes it's just bad luck.
Great customer service is the way to turn a negative to a positive. And giving this lady at least a complimentary treatment, plus an explanation of what might have caused the scabbing, would be a much better way to treat her than becoming defensive and thinking she somehow scabbed her own lip.

I wax my top lip (a friend who's a beauty therapist does it for me) last time mine went a little bit "crusty" on the edges, & I never normally react! It doesn't sound like a burn, but perhaps a friction burn or perhaps the skin wasn't pulled tight enough? Either way sometimes, clients can react differently. These are contra-actions of waxing which should be explained to the client each & every time, whether their a regular waxer or not! Don't panic it'll be fine! Xx

Thanks
Wow ... I am quite shocked at how many replies are suggesting this client is after a freebie or she somehow caused the scabbing herself!
The causes of this are either the wax is too hot, the wax is too cold, the skin was not supported well enough, or the waxer removed the strip at the wrong angle.
Great customer service is the way to turn a negative to a positive. And giving this lady at least a complimentary treatment, plus an explanation of what might have caused the scabbing, would be a much better way to treat her than becoming defensive and thinking she somehow scabbed her own lip.
Thanks

I still stand my ground that it sounds like she is after a freebie (read money), because she wasn't just after the refund, but something more and didn't want to know any other complimentary treatments salon had to offer as an apology. How many days you would wait to inform the salon that you have had a bad experience and had a reaction after waxing? 4 days? Really? There is a very fine line between a client who is genuine and client who just loves making a huge deal out of everything.

Hi,
You mentioned the wax wasn't hot, but it was dragging.... This says to me that it was too cold, and that could cause skin lifting/tenderness/etc. Wax that is too cold can cause more damage to the skin than wax that is too warm. [emoji8]

Oh maybe... I did change the roller to a hotter one but was probably to late?
Anywhy we have not heard back from her so hopefully she won't take it farther.
We checked the reviews and she didn't put any so we are assuming her upper lip is fine.
Unfortunately non of us wants to call her due her attitude so we are now hoping for the best.
Not ideal situation to be in.
I am assuming if she wanted to take it farther she would have got in touch for insurance details but not sure what is the time limit for that. x

I don't do waxing but from a clients point of view I've had a reaction every time I've been waxed and I've had different types of wax used and different therapists.
I get a rash that is incredibly itchy, white pimples on my upper lip and grazed skin on my eyebrows. I've decided waxing just isn't for my skin but I've mentioned it to therapists to find a resolution but not to claim a refund etc.

Latest posts

Back