Upset client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgie.mxo

Reaction score
Hi all! I just had one of those days... Feeling insecure about my knowledge and skill after leaving a client unhappy with her hair. I very rarely have a client that isn't happy and it shakes me up every time. I don't know if this is something that comes with experience but I HATE the feeling of letting someone's expectations down.

My client started with a natural base of 3, with previously lightened balayage at a level 6 with a lot of warmth. Very copper. She asked me to balayage her hair and get rid of the gold tones. She is from Pakistan so naturally has very dark hair. We lifted her to a level 7/8 and I then toned the hair with goldwell 8ba and 7na. We also used matrix brass off shampoo for a good 15 mins. I am really surprised and shocked by her hair still having so much warmth in it. Was it the 7na? That's all I can think of. Gutted and will have to correct for free next Thursday as she was not willing to pay anymore. At this point I just agreed as she was very unhappy with results. Maybe I should have underpromised... Ugh.

Attachments

• IMG_20190322_110548_compress_11.jpg
    IMG_20190322_110548_compress_11.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20190322_144323.jpg
    IMG_20190322_144323.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 103
I don't know if this is something that comes with experience but I HATE the feeling of letting someone's expectations down.

Really, don’t feel bad. After all, what’s to be scared of?

When you let go of needing people to like you and completely love what you do, you free yourself from self inflicted stress and go on to do your best work. If the client still complains, accept that you cannot change other people’s perceptions, only your attitude towards them.

Learn to Shrug it off.

She clearly had unrealistic expectations from the outset and your job as the professional is to be straight with her about what you can achieve within her price point and timescale and without causing serious breakage. Then she can choose whether to accept your advice or not.

Just because your client thinks she’s the next Kartrashian or whatever, do not offer a free re-do when you haven’t done anything wrong.
Remember it’s a tint brush in your hand, not a magic wand.

You are GOOD ENOUGH! x

Really, don’t feel bad. After all, what’s to be scared of?

When you let go of needing people to like you and completely love what you do, you free yourself from self inflicted stress and go on to do your best work. If the client still complains, accept that you cannot change other people’s perceptions, only your attitude towards them.

Learn to Shrug it off.

She clearly had unrealistic expectations from the outset and your job as the professional is to be straight with her about what you can achieve within her price point and timescale and without causing serious breakage. Then she can choose whether to accept your advice or not.

Just because your client thinks she’s the next Kartrashian or whatever, do not offer a free re-do when you haven’t done anything wrong.
Remember it’s a tint brush in your hand, not a magic wand.

You are GOOD ENOUGH! x

Aww I needed to hear that. Thank you ☺ I think from experience its better to under promise and over deliver. Maybe she did have unrealistic expections and I should have done more to bring her back to earth haha. Unfortunately I already agreed to re lighten and tone for free. Stupid I know but It's the first complaint I've had so struggled with how to combat it. X

You have done amazing job:)can’t belive it she expect you to work for free

Hello, I think you didn’t lift the hair enough to get it past the brassy stage, and also should’ve used a double ash to tone instead of NA/BA (in my opinion). I think it was the right thing to redo for free because what she asked for and what she got were really quite different. However, I think it looks pretty nice as it is!

Hello, I think you didn’t lift the hair enough to get it past the brassy stage, and also should’ve used a double ash to tone instead of NA/BA (in my opinion). I think it was the right thing to redo for free because what she asked for and what she got were really quite different. However, I think it looks pretty nice as it is!
Hey, yeah I agree. I feel I definitely let her run away with expectations to get all brassy tones out in one appointment. Pissed off with myself about it lol. Thinking of using 8sb next time with 7sb. Hopefully we can lift it further next week. I hate box dyed black hair!

Latest posts

Back