Urgent advice needed please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitesatin

Reaction score
I have just received an email from a client who came into the salon on Friday for a full leg wax. She has said that she has had a 'horrific reaction to either the wax or after-wax moisturising cream, resulting in a localised infection on both lower legs'. She goes on to say that her legs are incredibly painful and are inflamed, swollen and covered in puss filled spots and she had a temperature all weekend. She is now on a course on antibiotics. Apparently she has had waxing for 10 years and never had a reaction this this. I have been waxing for over 8 years and have never had a client complain about a reaction like this and to be honest it has knocked me for six! I'm not sure what steps I should take and would really appreciate some advice. I stretch the skin, use pre-wax and post-wax lotion, use a metal spatula and the wax pot itself was emptied, cleaned and new wax put in about two weeks ago. Help :(

Ask for a pic and certification from the doctor. I've never heard of such a thing.

Has she adhered to the after waxing care, did she go swimming or use steam rooms ect ect?

I'm going to draft a letter to her now and ask her re aftercare. I think I need to see a picture and ask her what her doctor diagnosed.

I would do nothing at all until you've contacted your insurance company and then follow their advice.

I would do nothing at all until you've contacted your insurance company and then follow their advice.

Yes, you're absolutely right. Thank you. I just don't understand what it could be.

Absolutely speak to your insurance company.

Does you client seem to be asking for anything, like a refund or compensation, or does her email seem to be more about informing you of the situation?

Once you have been advised by your insurance company I would want to respond to the client quite quickly to let them know that you have received their email and are sorry to hear about the situation. You could mention that you have not known this to happen before and are as eager as she is to get to the cause of the infection.

It doesn't sound like it's anything you've done, more likely an infection that has gotten in after waxing x

You can be sympathetic whilst accepting zero liability. We send a variation of the below email if we get an allergy complaint - your insurance provider will soothe you as it is the most common industry issue.

Dear blah blah,

I'm sorry to hear you have experienced an allergic reaction. Allergies can appear at any point and can stem from ingredients that previously were not problematic.

As per your consultation form you have no known allergens. If you would like us to supply ingredients lists for the products used we will be happy to do so as it will hopefully assist you in establishing what ingredient(s) have caused your reaction.

We hope you feel better soon & kind regards,

My version is a bit clunkier as it's from memory...

The most common allergen in waxing treatments is colophonium. Second would be essential oils - lavender, tea tree. This is just for reference I would personally not elaborate to your client on likely causes. If anyone ever states they are allergic to plasters on your consultation form you should use rosin/colophony free wax.

Just because something negative occurred it does not correlate that someone is to blame. So stop panicking :)

You can be sympathetic whilst accepting zero liability. We send a variation of the below email if we get an allergy complaint - your insurance provider will soothe you as it is the most common industry issue.

Dear blah blah,

I'm sorry to hear you have experienced an allergic reaction. Allergies can appear at any point and can stem from ingredients that previously were not problematic.

As per your consultation form you have no known allergens. If you would like us to supply ingredients lists for the products used we will be happy to do so as it will hopefully assist you in establishing what ingredient(s) have caused your reaction.

We hope you feel better soon & kind regards,

My version is a bit clunkier as it's from memory...

The most common allergen in waxing treatments is colophonium. Second would be essential oils - lavender, tea tree. This is just for reference I would personally not elaborate to your client on likely causes. If anyone ever states they are allergic to plasters on your consultation form you should use rosin/colophony free wax.

Just because something negative occurred it does not correlate that someone is to blame. So stop panicking :)

Thank you so much. I'll be ringing Babtac first thing. You do start to question yourself when something like this happens, but I can honestly say that it can't be down to anything that I have done. It's the salons reputation I worry about that's all. She was keen to gossip about another salon in the area when she came in so I'm sure she'll do the same about mine. I'm a panicker and worrier...can't help it .

Absolutely speak to your insurance company.

Does you client seem to be asking for anything, like a refund or compensation, or does her email seem to be more about informing you of the situation?

Once you have been advised by your insurance company I would want to respond to the client quite quickly to let them know that you have received their email and are sorry to hear about the situation. You could mention that you have not known this to happen before and are as eager as she is to get to the cause of the infection.

It doesn't sound like it's anything you've done, more likely an infection that has gotten in after waxing x

She's not asking for anything, just suggesting that I should take a look at the wax and creams I use! Apparently it ruined her hen weekend and her GP is not sure whether her legs will clear up in time for her wedding in two weeks!!

If it's infected and she's been ill don't think it's an allergy? And I take it you've never had this happen before so I'd say it's something she's done after the wax to cause the infection

If it's infected and she's been ill don't think it's an allergy? And I take it you've never had this happen before so I'd say it's something she's done after the wax to cause the infection

I'm thinking that maybe its folliculitis, but do you get a temperature with that?

I would assume there was some artistic licence taken re: severity as there often is in client complaints.

However, allergies often cause skin to blister, weep, open. Infection can then enter which causes the temperature etc.

Nothing she has claimed is implausible & wax allergies are quite common.

I have now spoken with my insurers and in the process of drafting a reply to the client. Thank you all for your comments, I really appreciate it.

Great - please let us know how you get on.....and good luck.[emoji3]

Thank you so much. I'll be ringing Babtac first thing. You do start to question yourself when something like this happens, but I can honestly say that it can't be down to anything that I have done. It's the salons reputation I worry about that's all. She was keen to gossip about another salon in the area when she came in so I'm sure she'll do the same about mine. I'm a panicker and worrier...can't help it .

Aw don't question yourself or skill! Reactions happen for random reasons sometimes. Don't blame yourself and after 8 years I am sure you are highly skilled at what you do x

Thank you JayM, appreciate that. I have just received pics from the client and it very much looks like foliculitis. However she has asked for the ingredients of the products used even though her GP has stated it's not an allergic reaction but a localised infection. I will send these to her anyway. I dont really want to get into ping pong email with her but will suggest that maybe it is foliculitis and this can occur as a result of bacteria entering the hair follicle following waxing. It can't be due to her having picked up an infection during waxing as my salon is scrupulously clean and correct pre cleanse and post was cream used.

Whatever it is...

People don't like being corrected. Suggesting an alternate theory is not going to go down well and further embroils you with the client unnecessarily.

Part of client management is controlling & guiding the path to swift closure of any concern. Polite supportive disengagement really is the smoothest way to handle these type of things from my experience.

Latest posts

Back