Urgent advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forever Summer

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently set up a spray tanning business where we operate from our home salon.

My beautician has had full training accredited by the Guild.

We have had a couple of customers who were very happy with the spray tan they received, however today we have had our first complaint.

The lady text me shortly after she left saying thank you it looks gorgeous.

Later on in the evening I received a text stating that she had gone really patchy on her arms, legs, neck and feet after she had washed it off.

I am obviously very worried about this as I have put a lot of hard work, time and money into this business, and to have such negative feedback so early on isn't nice.

Can you please advise me as to what has gone wrong?

Like I said before other customers have been extremely happy, so I can't quite work it out.

Thank you very much.

First of all dont stress out just yet, it might have been improper prep that cause the patchy tan or something she's done after you done the tan. :Love:

Hi sorry to hear this , it could be many things ??? Did you ask client what she has been doing since had the spray::
Is it a possible reaction ::suprised: has she used this tan before ? Obviously it depends what she says but don't panic as long as your are doing everything to understand why this has happened , also offer a free spray to appease as nobody wishes to lose a Client:Love:

Hope you get it sorted :Love:

First of all you need to see the tan.
Clients say "really patchy" but could just mean the odd white bit here and there.
However because it seems to be all over her body I would ask her to come back in.

It could be any number of causes. The lady could have moisturised just before the tan creating a barrier causing patches. This could be caused from any other products too.
She could have been to the gym and perspired which could cause this. She could have been caught in the rain, she could have got dressed before the tan had dried sufficiently.

Is the client pregnant or on any meds? This can also cause a patchy effect.

Failing those, then you need to look into your therapists technique.

HTH thanks xxx

Thank you very much for your replies.

She said she simply went home, and then washed it off with water 8 hours later.

I find it strange because I tanned someone with the same gun/solution/settings etc, 20 minutes after her and they are very happy.

She did say that she didn't exfoliate, and she used the sunbed a few hours before her spray.

Maybe that has something to do with it?

Thanks

As you said if she has not done Pre tan prep may be the cause but I share your pain it causes a lot of stress, but everyone else you said seems pleased :Love:

Don't stress, offer to fix the problem and give her a discount for another tan or a gift voucher to use at a later date :)
Tans are tricky because you have to trust your client to take care of them.
This could just be that she hasn't taken care of it.

Let us know how you get on xx

I agree. I send everyone who books with us a pre tan & post tan guide.

I am not too worried as like I said, many others have been happy.

My beautician on the other hand was close to tears. It's not done her confidence much good either as she has only recently got her certificate. She is also worried as we have a full diary of bookings for tomorrow.

I have asked the lady to come in again free of charge (no reply from her as yet)

I just find it very strange how it went from looking gorgeous, to very patchy after she washed it off. If it was a fault of ours wouldn't it have looked slightly wrong from the moment the tan finished?

I thank you all once again for your replies.

She used the subbed a few hours before? Don't know about anyone else but I was taught that could cause issues as it dries out the skin and chances are she applied cream for it... Bet she didn't exfoliate that off after...

If you advised her beforehand that she must exfoliate and she didn't then it's her fault? If you didn't advise her before then maybe you want to give her a free spray.

As it's a new business and good recommendations are so important then maybe offer her half price or something next time? I just think if we give advice and it's not followed, how can they expect us to sort it for free??

Sorry maybe harsh but ive had a few customers recently not bothering to follow prep advice so when I get to them (I'm mobile) I explain what could now go wrong ie patchy tan, razor marks on recently shaved legs etc so they know before I start tanning them. I don't understand why people don't follow prep advice! It's for THEIR benefit!!

try not to worry too much as you cant please everyone and of course there are those ppl out there that just like to complain!! try and rectify the tan for her whilst also asking her questions to find out what may have happened.....it may be nothing that you have done wrong it may be that she didnt listen to aftercare or her skin was too dry??x

You simply can't comment or guess until you have seen the tan. If she used only water then there may be some of the guide colour left on. It may be that it is patchy in areas that were more dry than normal on her body. You could go on and on guessing.

Ask her to come back in so that you can have a look, then take it from there.

Please tell your therapist not to worry, we have all had things like this. Unfortunately you could have 1,000 clients really happy but it is the one that isn't that sticks in our minds. We are programmed at a young age that only negative news is actually important. :wink2:

Thank you all for your replies.

I have spoken to the lady who had a tan 30 minutes after the one who complained, and she is saying hers is perfect. (same solution/same gun/same beautician).

I offered a free tan in return for the patchy outcome of her last one, but she has not replied.

Nothing more I can do now. I strongly believe it is no fault of ours and we have plenty more booked in today, so time to move on.

Thank you all once again

She did say that she didn't exfoliate, and she used the sunbed a few hours before her spray.

Thanks

I Think that says it! Improper prep

if she saud ut went patchy during developing I'd say it was her own perception of the outcome and she paniced washing it off too soon.
the guide colour is just that.... a guide and if its splashed or rubbed off it can be misleading to a client.

I alwYs explain this and always advise to wash off the next day,

if I client had a problem then I'd ask them
to come see me and offer a re spray

ppl panic with tans bur the true tan isn't apparent until the guide is rinsed off

hope this helps

just explain after advice and stick to your guns as ppl will try it on too if you re spray them due to the slightest complaint

Thank you very much for your replies.

She said she simply went home, and then washed it off with water 8 hours later.

I find it strange because I tanned someone with the same gun/solution/settings etc, 20 minutes after her and they are very happy.

Thanks

You shouldn't off tanned her if you knew she didn't exfoliate but if she said she did then its down to her.. i tell my clients to wash of after 12hours and pat dry after! works well for me :)

Latest posts

Back