Urgent help, hair fail!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mollybrean

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need some advice! About over a month ago I asked my hairdresser for blonde balayage (I'm brunette), ruined my hair and just put blonde highlights over my brunette hair, it looked stripey and awful, so I got her to dye my hair back to it's natural color. After about 3 weeks and washing it the yellow highlights started to show through so I dyed it dark brown with a semi permanent, on first attempt it went so splotchy and the bleach was so patchy underneath, we then put on another layer, its all one block colour but hair is literally blue/black... I feel so self conscious and I am scared to wash because the bleach may start showing through? However this may be a good method to lighten it? Please give me some advice if any!

My friends are calling me dramatic but I've never felt so ugly in my life :(

Thanks

Firstly, ditch your current hairdresser and find someone who knows how to do a decent balayage service.
It isn’t the same as foil highlights, at all.

If you’ve only used semi-permanent colours, they will wash out and expose the raw yellow bleached hair underneath. A decent colourist will be able to correct your colour issues, including the patchiness but don’t expect them to be cheap.
They will have invested time and money training and you’re paying for their expertise.

Realistically, you’re never going to get a professional looking result from using box dyes to correct problems caused by poor bleaching techniques.

Finally, you’re the only one who is stressed out by your hair. Most people won’t really notice so try not to get too obsessed about the way it looks at the moment and don’t do anything else to it until you’ve booked in with someone new. You’re likely to make it worse by re-colouring it yourself.
Prior to training, I did an awful home bleach and had to go to a job interview the next day with bright yellow hair. I just styled it out and pretended it was meant to look like that. I got the job and then got my hair fixed a couple of days later. :)

Firstly, ditch your current hairdresser and find someone who knows how to do a decent balayage service.
It isn’t the same as foil highlights, at all.

If you’ve only used semi-permanent colours, they will wash out and expose the raw yellow bleached hair underneath. A decent colourist will be able to correct your colour issues, including the patchiness but don’t expect them to be cheap.
They will have invested time and money training and you’re paying for their expertise.

Realistically, you’re never going to get a professional looking result from using box dyes to correct problems caused by poor bleaching techniques.

Finally, you’re the only one who is stressed out by your hair. Most people won’t really notice so try not to get too obsessed about the way it looks at the moment and don’t do anything else to it until you’ve booked in with someone new. You’re likely to make it worse by re-colouring it yourself.
Prior to training, I did an awful home bleach and had to go to a job interview the next day with bright yellow hair. I just styled it out and pretended it was meant to look like that. I got the job and then my hair fixed a couple of days later. :)

Hello thanks for the reply. I'm hoping to get it booked in this week or next. Fingers crossed. I know it's going to be expensive but i'm willing to get it fixed!

Latest posts

Back