urgent help required (not nails)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DONZIE

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm really panicking here!! I came home from work yesterday and there was an A4 sized brown envelope on the doormat. When I opened it it was from DATA COLLECTION SERVICES (ENFORCEMENT SECTION) NOTICE:NEW BUSINESS

It says Failure to register is a criminal offence and on conviction an offender is liable to a maximum fine not exceeding level five on the criminal jstice scale. At present this level is no greater than £5000!!

It says I have to complete the form and send a fee of £95 ti register.

What on earth is this can anyone tell me? God I only passed my foundation course in July and have only done nails on about 5 girls at work!!
The only thing I can think of is I placed a one line free advert in the Yellow pages but that hasn't even been put in yet, not til next April I think. I did complain about the sales rep at Yellow pages though cos he got a bit nasty when I wouldn't take a paid advert with him. So I'm wondering if he's stitched me up. What should I do? Someone help me pleeeease!!!!!
Donna

Hun, it's a con! There was a thread about this a while ago. Just file it downwards in the bin.

Oh are you absolutely sure Sassy cos it looks so official!!

Bin it babe, it is a scam !!!!!!!!
It has been discussed on here before...........
To register with Data protection service is only necessary if you are using a PC to hold client records............ if you do the it only costs £35 to register with them..........

If you hold client records on a PC you will need to comply with the Data Protection Act 1998.............
You have to register each PC terminal user to protect the privacy rights of you clients........................

here is a link and you can download the application form..........
If you want to use a PC for record keeping then this is a must .............
http://www.dpr.gov.uk/
The Data Protection Public Register

http://www.dpr.gov.uk/notify/4b.html
Completing the Notification Form On-Line [4b]

Clearly some sick saddo trying to make themselves a fast buck before Christmas, do what the experienced geeks have said and place it where it belongs--file 13, more commonly known as the bin.
Regards, and do'nt worry,

Christine.

I had this too - a total con. It does look really official, but it is a total load of rubbish.

Just a little addition to this thread:

Ruth is right in that you only need to notify if you are keeping electronic records, however....

The new Act does now cover manual records. This method does not need notification but it does need to follow the Data Protection Act rules. I am not aware of any agency doing sudden inspections but if there was any problem with a client, local authorities, insurance etc it is worth being aware of the requirements. They are not difficult, quite logical and what you would hope happens with any personal information kept about you.

Read the Act or, if you have my book, look in there, or look in the HABIA H&S Implementation Pack

Marian

guys thanks so much. I got really worried when I got that letter as it looks so official!! I am SO GLAD that I thought to ask on this site first before doing anything about it
I put 'data protection' in the search facility and saw then that a lot of you have had this letter in the past.
Thanks again!!
A very relieved
Donna

Yep they nearly got me aswell!!!

I informed Liverpool Police - you can ring them (if thats where it says to post it back to)

I smelled a rat when there was no Contact Number on the form.

Inform the police they will put your mind at rest!!

Ambxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The fakes ones don't have a contact phone no. go straight onto the web site and compare.

Cathy

Latest posts

Back