US Import Tax

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carole Lindsay

Reaction score
I've heard mention that a tax has to be paid on goods imported from the US into England. Can anybody tell me how it is calculated? Is it based on a percentage of the total cost of the goods?

Carole Lindsay said:
I've heard mention that a tax has to be paid on goods imported from the US into England. Can anybody tell me how it is calculated? Is it based on a percentage of the total cost of the goods?
Carole - it really would take me ages to explain, needless to say there are import taxes for everything depending on the type of product, it's makeup etc - import duties imposed in the UK are huge which is why most tend to buy from the suppliers rather than taking this on themselves; it can work out the same in the end! :eek:

Mrs Geek said:
Carole - it really would take me ages to explain, needless to say there are import taxes for everything depending on the type of product, it's makeup etc - import duties imposed in the UK are huge which is why most tend to buy from the suppliers rather than taking this on themselves; it can work out the same in the end! :eek:
Hi Mrs Geek! Thanx for your response. If i were buying something from an individual in the US would there be any tax to pay? Obviously its nail products!

HMMM - I guess it would depend on how much of it you were buying and how it was sent! Believe me when I tell you, about 3 years ago Sam and I had Xmas in Utah with his parents! Whilst there, we went to Bed Bath and Beyond and bought loads of towels and bedding, we also had lots of Xmas pressies to bring home - for us and the boys; baby stuff for Dexter (who was a baby at the time) and toys for a six/seven yr old! Sam's dad works for Fed ex and said he would send everything!! When it arrived - 2 boxes worth, we had a whopping £400 customs charge - more than the toys were worth!! We appealed and got it down to £50 which was much more palatable but still - they will try to sting you - just be careful that's all!!! Toys are one thing - monomer, emamels etc are another!!! Bets of Luck ;)

Mrs Geek said:
HMMM - I guess it would depend on how much of it you were buying and how it was sent! Believe me when I tell you, about 3 years ago Sam and I had Xmas in Utah with his parents! Whilst there, we went to Bed Bath and Beyond and bought loads of towels and bedding, we also had lots of Xmas pressies to bring home - for us and the boys; baby stuff for Dexter (who was a baby at the time) and toys for a six/seven yr old! Sam's dad works for Fed ex and said he would send everything!! When it arrived - 2 boxes worth, we had a whopping £400 customs charge - more than the toys were worth!! We appealed and got it down to £50 which was much more palatable but still - they will try to sting you - just be careful that's all!!! Toys are one thing - monomer, emamels etc are another!!! Bets of Luck ;)
Me thinks i'll leave that one be and go through a main supplier!! Thanx for that!

Latest posts

Back