using a drill to remove bulk of your rebalance

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nail2003

Reaction score
Hi I just want to know if anyone is using a hand drill to do the rebalancing rather than filing by hand

I only use my e-file for removing the white when doing a french backfill. If you can master getting your enhancements really thin, there should not be much bulk when doing the rebalance.

I looked at your profile for details about you - but nothing there - tell us more about you :)

Years ago I tried a drill in the salon ... took some training in the states from an expert ... bought a really expensive high rpm drill ... but I found that after the initial enthusiasm I never used it because it:
wasn't any quicker,
it made loads of mess and
it wasn't really necessary as I always work thin at the cuticle and the free edge
and my clients didn't like it.

Even for French Rebalances I find I only have to thin a small amount before adding a small bead of white only at the smile line and I just taper the bead into the white that is already at the free edge.

My product buffs down really quickly so I found there was really no need for me to use a drill at all. It is still sitting in a drawer somewhere unused and unloved.

I just recently started using a drill to thin down the entire nail when I rebalance a nail. SOOOO much faster than hand filing, plus so much easier on the hands and wrist. I am using a carbide barrel, which I was terrified of until now. They are actually quite simple to use as long as you use a light touch they do not get hot. I wish I would have started using my drill much sooner. I only used it to clean out under the nails.

Hi Nail2003 - cool name and similar to mine!!!

I have never owned an e-file in my life and I can honestly say I never really want one. I have reasonable rebalance times with hand filing and my clients wouldn't like an e-file from what we have already spoken about.

hi ya

clients i have spoken to have said they would refuse a drill on their nails

Cazza

Drills being faster is only relevant to how you work with the product.
I have nothing against users of drills that are educated on using them... I personally found it worked better to produce thinner nails via buffing (you cant get as thin if you work with a drill as drills weaken your product more) that are faster to rebalance.
In the end... its you and your clients choice... but if you choose the route of a drill... ensure you get premium education with it... last I heard, drill manufacturers said that 95% of drill users do so in an unsafe manner.

Couple o things:
  • NEVER use a drill on a natural nail plate. NEVER.
  • Drills create the finest dust particulates that stay suspended in the air longer and are easier to breathe (ensure proper extraction)
  • Drills create more micro shattering of the enhancement (even when its cured) so your nails have to be slightly thicker.
  • Drills do not alleviate CTD's... they in fact may aggravate them.
  • You can cause as much damage with an abrasive (though most people don’t file at 15,000 rpm's)
I know this sounds down about drills... I’m not...but I state again... if you use a drill, ensure you get premium education. They are true 'power tools'.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Toodles

Just to add to samuels post, i have nothing whatsoever against drills at all or the user, providing they have had the training needed to opperate them in a safe manner...

however.... the VIBRATION of a drill may potentially cause a CTD or make it worse...............

techs usually opt for the easy option of using a drill after suffering with RSI thinking it will relieve the problem, instead, they dont realise they are making it worse because you have less wrist movement!!!

if you have been taught well, and taught 'HOW TO HOLD AN ABRAISIVE PROPERLY' as well as working from your wrist and NOT from your elbow or shoulder then there is no cause for RSI to occur!!!

Clients are often 'put off' going to a Non Standard Salon only because of the (excuse me) TECH's, :gun: :gun: :gun: (shoot me for saying that!!!!!!!!!!) using a drill, so they come to you instead.... wouldn't it be nice for them to want to come to you because you seperate yourselves from the rest of the standard salons and make yourself a higher standard because you wont let a bit of manual filing get you down??????

If you can get a BEAUTIFUL ENHANCEMENT from complete manual filing, then you have great skill!!!!! if you have to use a drill to achieve the same result, then your only half way there.......

REMEMBER, PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!!!!!!!!!!!

I apologise deeply is i offend any drill users, but this is my honest opinion and to save your own lungs from THAT AWFUL DUST!!!!!!!!! (that stays in the air for up to 40 minutes longer than manual dust!!!!!!!)

:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

I am sorry, but I have to totally disagree about drills being a bad thing. I dont use a drill that much, probably jsut for treching out the white and cleaning under the nail. I hand file probably 90% of the time. But using a drill, the dust is in larger particles, making them heavier and they are not airborne at all. I used to think the drill was horrible, until I became educated on them. They are actually a big time saver. I have several clients that did not like the idea of a drill and now they wouldnt have it anyother way.
However, I do think drills have gotten such a bad rap from the inproper use of them and the NSS using them. There are two nail techs round here that compete on a high level and I know they would be caught with out using there dirll on an everyday basis.Just because someone used an e-file, does not make them a bad nail tech. If anything, it makes a tech smarter for being more effecient. It has alot to do with ignorance. Jsut like in everyday life, if yourefuse to educate yourself about things-well that makes you ignorant-right? I am not saying its right or wrong-its total preference and what your comfortable with. If you feel like hand filing, an it works for you, hey go with it. I plan on getting additional education on e-filing so I can :thumbsup: spend less time hand filing.

All the statistics given by the Geek come straight out of laboratory testing under controlled conditions with published results. Drills definitely do create the finest dust particulates (proven fact not opinion) and those particulates have been proven to stay airborne for up to 40 minutes in the breathing zone. One reason why masks are recommended when using them.

The experts on this board, do not voice opinion (unless stated) but only documented and proven fact.

I prefer to work smarter not harder and for me that means creating thin, satin smooth nails with my brush so that hand filing is absolutely minimal. Anyone seen me work (and this is how I teach my students) hand finishing is less than 10 minutes (and this is the goal I teach them to aim for). It is achievable when the product is laid down with skill in the first place. What is there to correct if you make the perfect finished nail enhancements with your brush?

If people love their drills ... each to his own, you are entitled ... but I like to give what I consider a relaxing, gentle, soothing experience to my clients which does not include electric instruments (my opinion).

I never said they were a bad thing... I simply said make an educated choice.

They can aggrivate CTD's (they dont prevent)
They create the finest dust particulates (you will need better extraction)
They cause micro shattering (you will need to work slightly thicker)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back