Using a magnifying glass for nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 60877

Reaction score
Good morning all. I am thinking of getting a magnifying glass for doing nails. Unfortunately my eyes are not so good anymore and I need something for close up work. Anyone with the same problem as me? What do you use? I have already been to the optician and got some glasses with extra strength but I feel is not enough.
Thank you very much. xxx

I have a mag lamp as the light for my nail desk. I also wear glasses. Even though I have the magnifying lens available, I've actually never used it to do nails, I think it would be in the way and if you start to magnify things you'll always seen too many imperfections!
Make sure you have a good light above your desk and wear your prescribed glasses. It might just take a while to get used to them.

I also wear glasses but they are not enough, sometimes. I went and bought an inexpensive pair of reader glasses. They come in different strengths and are basically magnifying glasses you can wear. They have helped me.

Thank you CFBS and Deanosnana for your replies. I really appreciated it.

I am the same regarding my close up work. Ensure the light is really good and I use quite strong close up cheap reading glasses otherwise my work is less than accurate.
My reading prescription from the optician is weaker than the preferred close up working specs if that makes sense. The magnifying glass would just get in the way and with specs on you can always have them low on your nose to look above when engaging eye contact with your client.

I agree. I also really struggled with my prescribed glasses and have found cheap readers to work much better for doing nails. That and a very good desk lamp. Even moving it closer to the nails just a bit more actually can make a huge difference.
I do use my magnifying lamp for Dermaplaning, but as CFBS says, I found it got in the way too much doing nails.
It is frustrating not having perfect eyesight though! :(

I don't do nails (except my own), but I do eyelashes, electrolysis etc and my eyesight has gotten worse with ageing. I use mag glasses which you can change the strength of the lenses, it's for close up work. They come with 5 changeable lenses. You can also get ones with lights built in. They pretty cheap on eBay

I want to add to this: I was worried the cheap readers would somehow hurt my eyes or negatively impact my vision. When I saw my eye doctor and asked him about it, he said there would be NO negative impact. I felt much better about that. Just wanted to share! :)

Latest posts

Back