SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sazmcgee

Reaction score
I’m having issues at the moment with clients with either oily nails or dry brittle nails having their shellac chip and lift within 7-10 days. I thought I’d found the solution with Brisa Lite only to discover it had been discontinued But would the Brisa liquid bond by CND applied under the shellac help the shellac adhere better AND would it soak off along with the shellac upon removal? Thanks guys. Any tips to increase shellac longevity will be greatly appreciated.

I would say yes. A bonder should help. If someone has oily nail plates simply use 2 coats of bonder.

I can’t answer to this completely because I’ve never heard of using bonder on Shellac. I would imagine it does not have any purpose because it’s chemically made to bond with Brisa which is an hard gel. I use nail fresh from CND for oily nails and for dry brittle nails it’s all about the clients use of solar oil to keep the nail lubricated and flexible so it works with Shellac. Oil is the only product with small enough molecules to penetrate enhancements (except Brisa) and make sure they use solar oil over he entire nail and coating plus’s under the free edge. My nails don’t get brittle as long as I use solar under the free edge with Shellac or an enhancement.

How are you using base coat for Shellac? I found that it I use a very thin application and almost rub the brush into the nail it bonds better. I see many techs apply Shellac base coat like a regular base coat and that makes it sometimes to thick and the bond is not as strong. Try it out and really push solar oil routines on your clients experiencing problems and it will work I promise you [emoji4]

I can’t answer to this completely because I’ve never heard of using bonder on Shellac. I would imagine it does not have any purpose because it’s chemically made to bond with Brisa which is an hard gel. I use nail fresh from CND for oily nails and for dry brittle nails it’s all about the clients use of solar oil to keep the nail lubricated and flexible so it works with Shellac. Oil is the only product with small enough molecules to penetrate enhancements (except Brisa) and make sure they use solar oil over he entire nail and coating plus’s under the free edge. My nails don’t get brittle as long as I use solar under the free edge with Shellac or an enhancement.

How are you using base coat for Shellac? I found that it I use a very thin application and almost rub the brush into the nail it bonds better. I see many techs apply Shellac base coat like a regular base coat and that makes it sometimes to thick and the bond is not as strong. Try it out and really push solar oil routines on your clients experiencing problems and it will work I promise you [emoji4]
Thanks so much for the advice!! I think maybe my base is going on too thick so I will definitely work on thinning it. I have only been using nail fresh for clients with oily nail plates but would you also recommend me use it on clients with dry brittle nails? I am planning on purchasing a pack of mini retail solar oil bottles to give away as freebies as people just don’t listen to advice ‍♀️ Would you also advise using cuticle eraser for after care as it’s a hydrating product or would that be overkill?

I wouldn’t use Nail Fresh on dry brittle nails, scrub fresh would be enough. Sounds strange but as long as Shellac is applied to a dry prepped nail the use of solar oil is what’s going to prolong the wear. Since brittle nails are less flexible and Shellac is quite flexible you need to balance the nails oil reservoir so the match better. This is usually the big problem with clients and dry nails, our first instinct is to improve adhesion and instead we need to restore the nails healthy balance.

If you just try to rework your base coat techniques it will make a big impact, that’s what solved most of my problems. If your base is thick I would switch it out. It should be quite liquidy.

Cuticle Eraser is a product made for the skin around the nail then the actual nail plate. It’s a great add on for people with problem cuticles or calluses around the nail, but oil is the only product that will have an effect on the nail plates condition.

Giving a small solar oil to new clients is a great way to get them to use it. If you calculate it in to your price you have it covered. Just make sure to not give it out to much so they expect it. Keep it for new clients and also I give my long time clients one if they are traveling or as a little gift for Christmas or if they just need a pick me up.

And I will give you the tip I use for my clients to make sure they use it. Instead of saying they should use it two times a day period, tell them to use it at night if they can because that’s when it gets to stay on uninterrupted, also when they have taken a shower or been exposed to water and or soaps for a longer period. This makes it easier for them to know that once they have prolonged exposure to water which is a powerful dissolver of natural oils, add on some solar oil on and around + under the nail and it will restore it. Makes clients usually less stressed about using it and you have them use it when it’s needed. So many clients use it at weird times, like randomly before they do dishes or when they go to work and end up washing their hands after 30min and it has no effect.

Hope this helps [emoji4]

I wouldn’t use Nail Fresh on dry brittle nails, scrub fresh would be enough. Sounds strange but as long as Shellac is applied to a dry prepped nail the use of solar oil is what’s going to prolong the wear. Since brittle nails are less flexible and Shellac is quite flexible you need to balance the nails oil reservoir so the match better. This is usually the big problem with clients and dry nails, our first instinct is to improve adhesion and instead we need to restore the nails healthy balance.

If you just try to rework your base coat techniques it will make a big impact, that’s what solved most of my problems. If your base is thick I would switch it out. It should be quite liquidy.

Cuticle Eraser is a product made for the skin around the nail then the actual nail plate. It’s a great add on for people with problem cuticles or calluses around the nail, but oil is the only product that will have an effect on the nail plates condition.

Giving a small solar oil to new clients is a great way to get them to use it. If you calculate it in to your price you have it covered. Just make sure to not give it out to much so they expect it. Keep it for new clients and also I give my long time clients one if they are traveling or as a little gift for Christmas or if they just need a pick me up.

And I will give you the tip I use for my clients to make sure they use it. Instead of saying they should use it two times a day period, tell them to use it at night if they can because that’s when it gets to stay on uninterrupted, also when they have taken a shower or been exposed to water and or soaps for a longer period. This makes it easier for them to know that once they have prolonged exposure to water which is a powerful dissolver of natural oils, add on some solar oil on and around + under the nail and it will restore it. Makes clients usually less stressed about using it and you have them use it when it’s needed. So many clients use it at weird times, like randomly before they do dishes or when they go to work and end up washing their hands after 30min and it has no effect.

Hope this helps [emoji4]
Thanks so much!! I always apply my solar oil at night as it’s so true that due to constantly washing hands etc the oil barely has time wi absorb so I will definitely try advising my clients to do the same! Also, one more little question if you don’t mind... have you tried rescue rxx? I know this is for dry nails but wasn’t sure if it’s a good product to retail or just to use during treatment service. Thanks sooo much!!!

Lifting is quite a complicated topic.

Thanks so much!! I always apply my solar oil at night as it’s so true that due to constantly washing hands etc the oil barely has time wi absorb so I will definitely try advising my clients to do the same! Also, one more little question if you don’t mind... have you tried rescue rxx? I know this is for dry nails but wasn’t sure if it’s a good product to retail or just to use during treatment service. Thanks sooo much!!!

I have not used Rescue Rxx to much, but have had clients using it on their natural bare nails with good results. The problem with it is that since it’s like an oil it’s quick for clients to use it on the skin as well and I’ve seen clients experience their cuticles and skin build up and get harder from it. But if used correctly it can be good. I have one client that swears by it and her nails are really transformed. I find the small bottles a better investment since you shouldn’t use it for longer periods and it makes the client use it sparingly just on the nail plate.

Also if you are ever having problems or feel lost and need technical help there are great educators and always help from the distributors of CND. Forums like this are also great, but it’s the company’s main objective to be your support system and help you enjoy the full benefits of your products so I frequently talk to the educators and the distributor here when I am stuck or having problems and they will guide me and usually be the voice of reason I find [emoji4] but we are all here to help always so I am happy that you reach out. We are stronger together !

Latest posts

Back