Using Drills

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharon

Reaction score
I have done training with 2 companys and was told by both never to use electric drills. Can some of you girls and boys give me your opinion on using them please. I know a lot of tecs use them.

Thanks Sharon.

Hi Sharon, oh to speak to someone from Aberdeen - I lived there for 22 years before moving down to nr. Northampton (OMG I sound really old lol). We lived nr Pittodrie - murder to park on a Saturday - hey I digress.

I have an electric file and I have had proper training but I do not really use it apart from when doing a french backfill and also for cleaning out behind the free edge - some of the gunk that ends up down there you would not believe lol. I have got into a routine with my trusty file and prefer it for general purposes.

I personally feel that if you want to use an electric file then it is a must to get proper training - you should not be able to buy one without it.

Hi Sharon, i agree with fiona i mainly use a drill for cleaning out under the free edge but prefer to use a file, although many of my freinds think they are grate and use them all the time. I think you could find out more by going on a proper course (some whole salers offer these, well mine do) and finding out what suits you best. mandyx

Lets be honest and call it what iit is, a drill!

If you are using concrete for a nail enhancement product (MMA?) I could see where a drill might come in handy! But certainly with the higher end products which are much softer to file, there is no need to use a drill unless you are using more product than you need to. I mean, why pile it on just to take it off again??

If you just love your drill then be very well trained in its use. I don't advocate the use of drills to anyone for the following reasons.

Drills create the finest dust particulates that are spun up into your breathing zone and stay suspended in the air for upwards of 30 minutes - nice (not)

Drills can create micro-shattering of a newly applied nail enhancement that leads to weakness, breakage, yellowing etc of the product.

Using a drill to clean under the free edge is the most major cause of onycholysis in clients as the drill breaks the gasket formed by the hyponychium and the epidermis - this can also open a window to infection.

And if these aren't enough reasons for not using a drill ...
I have never met a client yet who didn't back off at the thought of having one used on her even by someone who considers themself to be skilled in the use of a drill.

Why not take a different approach .... if you sculpt the finished nail with your brush then taking it to a high gloss shine is a breeze with your buffers and far less dust. ;)

I spent $600 on my e-file and use it probably 1% of my time.

I use it to clean under the free edge of grotty clients and I use it with a chamois bit to buff to a great shine - saves my wrist :)

Thanks Ladies,

You have helped me make my mind up regarding drills, and I think I will stick with my files.

Love Sharon XX

Ps. Fit like Fiona, Do you still have the Aberdonian twang?

Sharon said:
Ps. Fit like Fiona, Do you still have the Aberdonian twang?

Nae bad Sharon.

No Aberdonian twang I'm afraid - I was brought up originally in Edinburgh so not so broad. (well not in language lol).

Oops I better calm down or Sam will move me to "Chatter" lol

....a builder uses to make holes in things?????

I dunno peeps....I remember before I started doing my own nails and I would have them done by a professional in a beauty salon....I would need to psyche myself up for days before going for an infill because I have such sensitive delicate cuticles that I would come out after having my nails done...with throbbing fingers...sometimes even bleeding cuticles :fire: and this wasnt due to bad technicians...cos I had them done by a few different ladies there in the hopes that it would be different..... no....it was due to the manual filing!

I was trained with an electric "FILE" and....even when I do my own nails....and I am by no means ambidextrous....my widdle cuticles dont suffer the consequences.... I think the e.files have far better prescision that manual filing....and u can file exactly where u need to file.

I vote a hearty .... :thumbsup: to the electric file....just make sure u get the relevant training....cos if u dont know wot ur doing...then u may as well call it a "DRILL!!"

I disagree with you about the "technicians not being bad" - that it was the fault of manual filing. Who was at the other end of the file?
A good technicain has complete control of the abrasive and should never cut the cuticle.
It is all about control and training - as usual! Whether it be a drill or a normal abrasive.

While I agree with you about the training thing... Think about this...

If the techs that used to do your nails had a drill instead of a file.. think of the damage they would have caused then!

That is really my only key reservation regarding drills... As long as you accept the consequences of working with them (more micro shattering, more dust particulates, etc...) and you get the relevant training... go for it.

A drill is not a precision tool... its for debulking, not detailing.

And remember... though you can cause as much damage with an abrasive as you can with a drill, its a hell of a lot harder to. Why? Because most people don’t file at 15,000 rpm's.

Anyhooo... Like I said... If you can accept the downsides and you receive the proper training then I don't see why it would ever be a problem.

I have more and more clients coming to me because they are afraid of the burn they receive with the e-file, and I have to agree with Geeg in that damage is caused by an ill trained tek and not their tools.

Adele

Thanks for all your imput regarding using drills. Its interesting to hear all your views. I still think I will stick to my files. I never overfile the nail plate and I have never made someone bleed around the cuticle area.
I know this is what causes damage to the natural nail so I just take care.

Thanks again
SharonX

and this wasnt due to bad technicians...cos I had them done by a few different ladies there in the hopes that it would be different..... no....it was due to the manual filing!

Well a bad workman always blames his tools springs to mind.
Like a Hairdresser blaming his scissors for a bad haircut or a little cut to the ear . Don't think so!!!!!!!!

I am sure the E-files have their uses, and if a Technician is propperly trained on them, then there is no problem.

I dont use a E-file, dont have the use for one, to much dust, heat on the nail plate, micro shattering and so on, even on a fast day I couldn't go 15.000 rpm.
I know the width and lenght of my file and can use it correctley, to the nearest mm. So there is no cuticle cutting here.

So Geeg I am with you on this one xxxx

Love Ruth

Hi All,
I'm new to this Message board and yep ya guessed this is my first post........lol :eyesore:
I use an e/file (okay i do call it my drill .....lol)
i can file nails by hand and i also educate by hand too but still i love my efile (i also do efile education too)
A nail tech can do more damage using an 100grit file than a nail tech who has been properly trained using an efile
I wear a mask when i use my efile.....i don't really want to breathe in the dust (this is only when i do my prep of the nail and remove the shine) and i have found that i dont catch as many colds as i used too....lol
When filing the natural nail you can not get right into the cuticle area like you can with an efile and not catch your clients skin.
I use my prep bit at the slowest speed on the natural nail as not to cause damage to the nail and i gently remove the shine from the surface of the nail plate.
When finishing the nails i use a diamond barrel bits with an EzFlow product called Drill Eze....Drill Eze is an oil based solution (this means that you do not need to use your recommended cuticle oil like EZ flows Essentail Oil Plus or CND Solar Oil when doing nails but your client will still need to use the same homecare)
Drill Eze cushions the cuticle from the drill bit it also grabs hold of the dust so it falls downwards and not up in the air (so we dont breathe it in :D ) as well as give the acrylic more flexablity and moisturising the cuticle like your cuticle oil.
At the end of the day i have found that i could finish nails off in abt the same time either by hand or with an efile as i have sculptured my nail well and it doesnt need too much filing.
If you wanted to get an efile to reduce the time it takes to do maintenance or a new set then you are doing something wrong!

Well i hope that you all have fun doing your nails be it by hand or with an efile!! :rainbow:

Take care,

Jess
EZ Flow Master Artist and Educator

Nail Technicians can have efile training, but who trains the client?

I've not had one yet who doesn't keep perfectly still! And it's always at that crucial moment!

Kx :D

Glad you found us... hope you nJoy.

A nail tech can do more damage using an 100grit file than a nail tech who has been properly trained using an efile

While this is true, I would be flabbergasted to see anyone touch the natural nail with anything more abrasive than a 240 or a 180. The opposite is also true (in fact, I feel truer) a nail tech can easily do more damage with an efile than a nail tech that has been properly trained with an abrasive ;)

Drill Eze cushions the cuticle from the drill bit it also grabs hold of the dust so it falls downwards and not up in the air

This type of approach is a very positive one as it does help minimise dust. One of the key negative factors regarding efiling is the fine particulates of dust created. These particulates are significantly smaller than those found while hand filing and as such, they stay suspended in the air for a greater period of time. The smaller the dust particulate, the fewer defenses your body has against it as small dust particulates are harder to catch and expel from the body.

There are very cool advances be done right now in this area to make efiles a much safer option.

If you wanted to get an efile to reduce the time it takes to do maintenance or a new set then you are doing something wrong!

Well said!

When filing the natural nail you can not get right into the cuticle area like you can with an efile and not catch your clients skin.
I use my prep bit at the slowest speed on the natural nail as not to cause damage to the nail and i gently remove the shine from the surface of the nail plate.

I'm sorry but this just makes my skin crawl. I have great respect for Ez Flow and it's users, but I just really can't understand why you need to use an efile on the natural nail. Surely, by using it you're still going to cause more damage to the nail than if you are using a 240grit file. The other thing is why use an efile if you sculpt with your brush in the first place. Not meaning to sound up my proverbial a**e ( :shock: ), but if I used an efile on my clients' nails, I'd have no product left to call them enhancements!!

Anyway not meaning to be derogatory to teks that use them, just don't quite understand why you need to :?

Adele

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back