Using facial brands such as Elemis without trade?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsdavey

Reaction score
Just wondering is this actually possible, the girl in the local salon to me said she got her elmis of qvc n advertises elmis facials and dermatologica she bought from the local college, is the allowed?

As far as I know this is totally fine to do, but she will have less profit margin.

I don't think it is allowed. You would be implying that you are offering the same as a Dermalogica or Elemis salon down the road, but not all products are available on QVC - you wouldn't be able to use the professional only products, as they're professional only, let alone the costs involved. I don't know why anyone would do this!!!

I don't think it is allowed. You would be implying that you are offering the same as a Dermalogica or Elemis salon down the road, but not all products are available on QVC - you wouldn't be able to use the professional only products, as they're professional only, let alone the costs involved. I don't know why anyone would do this!!!
I completely agree :-/ so unprofessional

My first question is "why?"
Is it because she's been refused a Dermalogica/Elemis account?
My second thought is that if she's this dodgy about this, what else is she dodgy about?

well at a guess if it saves 3000 set up costs that be why. I cant imagine how many facials u wud have to do. to make a profit, n elmis u have to have tgree beauty ropms before u can get a trade account. so it does make it more appealing to me

well at a guess if it saves 3000 set up costs that be why. I cant imagine how many facials u wud have to do. to make a profit, n elmis u have to have tgree beauty ropms before u can get a trade account. so it does make it more appealing to me

It would be pointless as you wouldn't make much profit (if any at all?!?!?).

There are soooo many really exquisite brands of skincare out there where a 3k setup investment is not required.
I can tell you this; if she carries on using Elemis etc under the radar and is caught, she'll never be awarded a trade account.

My friend's salon is a Elemis salon, and is required to do the training to use it,
... She has sent her staff and me (I cover holidays & spa days etc for her)
And I can say double the 3k and add a bit more on for that opening order .... Elemis is a salon professional brand which is why 'not everyone' can get an account....!!!!

I doubt she's even doing the facials the Elemis way either, it's a 3 day course in just their facials ... !!! ... 5 days for body treatments ... !!!

I do love elemis tho, which is why I don't really push my facials I send my clients to her salon, as soon as clients talk facial products I can't lie about what I use on myself ... Lol ... x

There are soooo many really exquisite brands of skincare out there where a 3k setup investment is not required.
I can tell you this; if she carries on using Elemis etc under the radar and is caught, she'll never be awarded a trade account.

Agree absolutely. I don't do Elemis or Dermalogica, but I do great facials using great skincare - oh and it's not available on QVC, or online, or on ebay (shall I carry on?????)

Shall I carry on??? im just asking advice ther is no need to try and belittle me, it does not make you a better person. I read a post the other day on here, and it said a lot of people starting out come on here looking for advice, and people bein really unkind with ther posts and being unkind negative.. I do no why people feel the need to be horrid to others. positive thinking all the way I say

Shall I carry on??? im just asking advice ther is no need to try and belittle me, it does not make you a better person. I read a post the other day on here, and it said a lot of people starting out come on here looking for advice, and people bein really unkind with ther posts and being unkind negative.. I do no why people feel the need to be horrid to others. positive thinking all the way I say

No one is being horrid, just get off your high horse and re-read what has been written. They are all valid valuable points that have been made.
You only asked cos of the 'girl in the salon' so are we to assume that you are finding out for her benefit or for your own as you had thought about it?

Whether for you or 'the girl' its not really advisable to do this, for the point made above it would be a profitable nightmare and also wouldn't be giving the clients the service they deserve. Would you pay top dollar for a treatment carried out with homecare products that you could do yourself at home? There is your answer.

It is frustrating when people have aspirations to use top branded products and i'm sure we have all been there but there are always solutions and many other companies out there that can give you amazing products for your current budget.
Just work your way up and will get there in the end

I know you think everyones getting on at you but nobody means it in a horrible way...
I have to agree with the other geeks, it's not very professional mainly as it is misleading the client.
If they see on your pricelist that you offer elemis/dermalogica facials, or you tell them this, or they see the branded products on your trolley they will automatically assume that the therapist has been trained to use those specific products, are registered stockists and can offer the best that those companys have to offer, they wont be assuming that they have bought them off ebay/qvc etc and have read the info on the back of the bottle or watched a youtube video and are fumbling their way through a facial.
I stock dermalogica and the reason you pay so much for your opening order is obvious when it arrives, (apart from the retail products) there are soooo many products for your professional treatments, alot of which are not available in the retail line and many of which i didnt have a clue what to do with them until i had been on training... but they all have a purpose and mean when somebody goes to a trained dermalogica salon they should be able to recieve a great prescriptive skin treatment.... And i assume the same applys to elemis.

I think the best thing to do is to use a skincare range that is within your budget that way people will be getting the treatment they think they are getting, not your version of an elemis facial and being disappointed that it was nothing like that elemis facial they had in that other salon for example.

I hope this helps xxx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Being a professional therapist is about delivering a professional treatment for your clients. For me that means using the best brands/products that give great results and offer retail so that my client can manage and improve their skin type/concern. You can't offer this with products bought from QVC it is not great business sense as the costs per facial must be huge compared to having a trade account. There are plenty companies who you can buy for without massive start up costs. I use dermalogica because its a brand I believe in. Yes it has a start up cost but because I believe in the products, use the products I can easily retail them which means that even if facials are a bit slow one month my business does not suffer. If you want to take in a brand that has a start up cost I suggest you speak to them about a payment plan or just work your butt off doing as many hours as you can to get the money together. If this is not an option then you need to look at a brand without a start up package. Think how clients would feel if you suddenly had to stop using the brand because you were banned! Now that isn't professional not to mention most likely a breach of insurance as you are using products you are not trained or licenced to. X

I agree with what has bein said. im a big girl n I can take the truth its just some ppl seem to be nasty about things. its meant to be a friendly forum where we all help each other not belittle. it just seemed the.. do I need to go on comment was doing that. thats all xx

I agree with what has bein said. im a big girl n I can take the truth its just some ppl seem to be nasty about things. its meant to be a friendly forum where we all help each other not belittle. it just seemed the.. do I need to go on comment was doing that. thats all xx
I haven't read any nasty posts on this thread and thought that everyone has tried to be helpful whilst pointing the reasons why buying products in this way would be unadvisable for a therapist, it is hard when you want to use a particular brand but the set up trade account is high and out of reach...but then you have to choose a brand initially with a lower set up cost, not use a brand such as Elemis without training or access to the professional line of products, I agree with everything that has been posted about this, it is not only unprofessional but also misleading to the customer. I would go with the suggestions of choosing a great brand with a lower set up to begin with.

The comment "shall I carry on" is aimed at skincare brands that market themselves as 'salon exclusive' and then retail in so many areas on the internet, so taking away from the therapists that have spent a lot of money to open an account. It is in no way being mean, unkind, horrid or belittling. There has been a lot of great advice on here - no negativity, just honesty!

I have read every reply to your question and see that each reply is there to advise you, not upset you. I can honestly say that this forum is the first place I would turn to (and indeed have) for great advice as there are many excellent and very knowledgeable professionals who often devote quite a lot of their time to helping those of us who need that little bit of extra support at times. So please don't be upset and lose out on the benefits of this great forum.

Latest posts

Back