Using glitter with fibreglass/silk

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelCat

Reaction score
In this month's Scratch magazine there's a couple of pages reviewing fibreglass/silk and interviews with various techs who favour it. One tech (I don't remember her name) said that she can encapsulate glitter and the sky is the limit according to her as to what she can do with the fibreglass system. Unfortunately she didn't say how she did it! :confused: V.v. frustrating. Does anyone know how to do this??

I would say that she is applying the glitter in the wet adhesive and then applys another coat of it on top of the glitter. This is the only way that I can think that it would work . especially with fabric as it is not compleley clear like gels.

I love encasing anything with fibreglass and it was me that wrote that lol........This is how I do it, but I am sure there are many other ways to do this.
I use a glass tip, so the light can travel right through the glitter work.
after all the usual prep proceed to this:.......
  • Apply glass tip and lightly blend so it is nice and flush with the natural nail.
  • Apply a thin coating of resin to the area you want the glitter to adhere to.
  • Choose a very fine glitter, I have found that coarse glitter doesn't work as well and dip into the glitter dust.
  • Wait for it to naturally dry and dust lightly to remove any loose glitter bits.
  • Apply a strip of fibreglass over the whole nail. Pat the fibreglass down firmly and saturate. This stops tiny glitter bits from going anywhere else.
  • Do this 2x and activate after the second coating of resin.
  • File refine, shape and buff the nail lightly.
  • Apply one coating of builder resin, activate with a brush on activator.
  • Apply a second coating of builder resin concentrating on the stress area.
  • Lightly buff, oil the nail...... top coat with a good shiney top coat, or buff the nail to a high glass shine.....
Fibreglass allows the glitter to shine and sparkle. Silk on the other hand would dull the effect. But hey you can also use pretty ribbons, lace and netting, dryed flowers aso. the sky is the limit really. Just play and see what you can come up with.......

Attachments

• fabric_glitter_nails-med_thumb.jpg
    fabric_glitter_nails-med_thumb.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,363
  • flowers.jpg
    flowers.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 264
  • ribbons.jpg
    ribbons.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 234
Wow Ruth~ I would never have guessed that the glitter was totally under the fiberglass and still came thru so clearly. Nice job.

so you are featured in the Magazine? :D

Thanx Ruth for the detailed tips and hints - I shall definitely have to have a go now!!

The pics are gorgeous - really sparkly!

Tan

I have often wondered if this would work putting glitter under fiberglass as i now have a growing f/g clientèle.

This certainly opens up for more creativity. Thanks for the step by steps Ruth, very helpful as always.:hug:

Hi, i'm just starting to work with the fibreglass from backscratchers since i've become really allergic to all other systems this is the only option for me.
Would it also work to put te glitters on the last layer of sticky resin, and then another layer of resin? (So i mean not under the fibre... But as the last step)

Thanks!
I'm still wondering why so few people use this system, as it is a great alternatice to all those allergic...

Hi, i'm just starting to work with the fibreglass from backscratchers since i've become really allergic to all other systems this is the only option for me.
Would it also work to put te glitters on the last layer of sticky resin, and then another layer of resin? (So i mean not under the fibre... But as the last step)

Thanks!
I'm still wondering why so few people use this system, as it is a great alternatice to all those allergic...

Hi, this thread was originally started back in 2007 and sadly Ruth our best fibreglass tech at the time has moved on to new pastures, although she might pop in sometimes, she's certainly here as often as we'd like, we miss her a lot, so you might not get many answers to your question.

I love fibreglass/silk but have little or no request for it anymore, it kind of fell out of favour a few years back, but I think it's starting to re-emerge recently for the reasons you've stated.

I've not tried it but I think your suggestion of spinkling the glitter into the uncured layer of resin, then spraying with activator to cure it, should work. You'd need to brush off the excess glitter before the final resin top coat was applied. It's the same process as the Spinkle Method of applying glitter to Gel Polish so it seems logical.

Give it a go and let us know how you get on :D

Thx for the reply!

And it worked out amazing! I put glitter on the last sticky layer, brushed off, another layer of resin and spray. A good shiny topcoat is necessary for the shine to come back after buffing, but it looks amazing. Due to the extra layer it also gives more strength.

I'm gonna try it with pigment now, which i think will work as well. If so, this is the ultimate solution for anyone who's allergic!
I had given up hope on ever having nice long nails again, really happy that i gave this a try.

It's just that there is so little info on this topic on the internet, or i would have tried it sooner :)

Thx for the reply!

And it worked out amazing! I put glitter on the last sticky layer, brushed off, another layer of resin and spray. A good shiny topcoat is necessary for the shine to come back after buffing, but it looks amazing. Due to the extra layer it also gives more strength.

I'm gonna try it with pigment now, which i think will work as well. If so, this is the ultimate solution for anyone who's allergic!
I had given up hope on ever having nice long nails again, really happy that i gave this a try.

It's just that there is so little info on this topic on the internet, or i would have tried it sooner :)

Thats brilliant news!! well done, show us some pictures we like to see sparkly successes :cool::D:oops:

It isn't the best picture but i did one nail there with glitter on top of the resin, then two more coats of resin to seal. My nails are a lot longer now (finally), however i did notice i have to practice some more, i sometimes get lifting of the entire fibre after a week on some nails (no damage to my own nails though, i think the preparation of the nails may be the cause... However, i read in many tutorials not to dehydrate the nails when using fibreglass... So i wonder what more i can do to de-grease my nails... (I stay away from edges and cuticles so that's not the prob)

But i'm not complaining, repairing a nail with this is so easily and quickly done, i haven't had my nails this long for ages!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    672.8 KB · Views: 30
Very pretty, good work :D

With regard to lifting, I always used Scrubfresh when prepping which is CND's dehydrater. Zooming in on those nails there is product of some description on the cuticle of the middle finger, it could be topcoat from the polish, but I think that is on the side walls of the pinkie, and the product on the cuticle of the middle is different, so it could be the resin. Tilt the finger downwards between a applying resin and spraying activator, or the resin will run back towards the cuticle

Latest posts

Back