using images for your business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ditzy

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can use pictures of famous people or cartoon characters for your business legally? I know there's a 50 year rule to people selling music, which is why you can now get Elvis Presley CD's mega cheap, is there a similar rule that applies to using images eg photos of a famous person, or cartoon character, etc.?

I have finally come up with a business name but before I use it, the name has to go with certain people's pictures!

Thanks

I think you'll find that most photo's have people/companies who own them so you will probably have to pay.

Another mistake that people make is when they go onto image sites and see 'Royalty Free'...........that doesn't mean that you can use them for free unless stated.

thought this might be the case. How about if I did a drawing of a famous person, would that be allowed?

Yes..............because it's you who did the drawing. But hey, I'm no expert so you should take legal advice. x

I am not familiar with UK rulings but here in the states you can't draw it for a profit if it has a tradmarke.

I use to paint pumpkins for halloween
One year I did the Bud dog...They came after me for drawing/painting the Budwwieser dog on pumpkins and the owner of the pumkin business sold them..Dang! we were making good money on it also.But it was a Registred tradmarke and therefore illegal.
So I think the ruling would be, are you selling it with the pic on it? It could come down to profit from it also.

I think I'm gonna have to get advice on this one, I would use it as the business image, not actually selling anything with it on. Time to talk to a legal expert I think. Thanks for your help!

are you on about a logo?

Yes, exactly that :green:

I say go for it and if someone threatens to sue give em a look like the one on your avitar!!!

but seriously, If you are drawing it yourself you can tweak it to make it look like whatever you want.. surely there must be some artistic liberty?

Latest posts

Back