Using Isopropyl Alcohol for nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olivia Dawn

Reaction score
Hi. OK so when we started school we used Finishingg Wipe (for star nail) to wip the nail after buffing, inhebitan layer, after buffing, to wipe our brush off. Then when we ran out we just used Isopropyl alcohol to do it all instead, so now I am done school and find it cheaper to do this but is this proper?
I use 2 different systems so use different ones with it but once I ran out of it (scrub fresh from brisa and Gel cleaner from Aksetz) I have just been using the alcohol... just wondering if this is ok? or what else I should be using? Thanks.
(and why the sell it in the suppliers if it is not for this??)

Akzentz Gel Cleaner is used to remove Inhibition layer and contains traces of lemon oil.It will not dry out surrounding skin like Isopropyl Alcohol. Alcohol is cheaper but sometimes can leave nails looking dull.
As for cleaning your brush, do not use anything to clean your brush. Just wipe it between folded paper towel and store away from daylight. Your brushes will last longer.

Thank you :)
that is good to know about the gel cleaner.

I'm doing My nails and daugthes nails with Brisa gel and going to see what happens if I Just use Is... alcohol instead of scrub fresh.I'll let you know later, months later if it last, to see if it causes service break down or if theres problems with fungus or infection. BUT most CND users would advice to use only the scrub fresh.The CND company has spent a lot of time researching what works best with their line of product.:)

You will have absolutely NO fungus or bacterial problems if you use alcohol as what could live on those dry nails? You may however dry out your clients nails to no end causing irritation and poss dermatitis.

Do you really think so if only using ever 2 weeks and only on regrowth .

Last edited:
I'm doing My nails and daugthes nails with Brisa gel and going to see what happens if I Just use Is... alcohol instead of scrub fresh.I'll let you know later, months later if it last, to see if it causes service break down or if theres problems with fungus or infection. BUT most CND users would advice to use only the scrub fresh.The CND company has spent a lot of time researching what works best with their line of product.:)

If you use what your product recommends, and you are using brisa, for the inhibition layer you cannot go wrong with scrubfresh, we are all successful techs on here and still you want to doubt scrubfresh?! DOUG SCHOON where are you? There is a chemist who will set you right on all the facts that you want. :)

Keeping in mind.....
When you use the 'cleanser' (in whatever form you choose); it is NOT only just on the regrowth, but on the product already lying there, on the surrounding skin AND on the tech's hands.

The tech who is going to get this on his/her hands many times a day....every day....
Over time, it is very drying and can lead to irritation..
Just look at the doctors and nurses and aids with skin problems on their hands.... from washing and washing and washing........

Why doubt a proven company AND the word of estrablished technicians with MANY years of experience?

On my original course we used it for spraying files and tools etc, and also for removing the inhibition layer when using gels. Now, I only use it for spraying files and tools in an emergency, as the sanitizing sprays you can buy are just isopropyl alcohol with a bit of colour/fragrance added. However, I agree you shouldn't really be putting this on skin to do nails as it's not been researched as part of the system so you don't know what damage it would cause long term. Also, where are you buying pure isopropyl alcohol from? I got some from the chemist I work at so I know it's Kosher, but I know they just wouldn't sell the stuff to Joe Public.

Keeping in mind.....
When you use the 'cleanser' (in whatever form you choose); it is NOT only just on the regrowth, but on the product already lying there, on the surrounding skin AND on the tech's hands.

The tech who is going to get this on his/her hands many times a day....every day....
Over time, it is very drying and can lead to irritation..
Just look at the doctors and nurses and aids with skin problems on their hands.... from washing and washing and washing........

Why doubt a proven company AND the word of estrablished technicians with MANY years of experience?
Hi, When I use Is.... alcohol in (which I can get easily from supply stores where I live) I use a stuff brush to only get on the nail bed and not on skin. Maybe i could dilute it with some water too and give it time to dry good. My clients are not in a hurry. Remember from my post before SOME of my clients, myself, and kids well not use scrub fresh intill maybe I'm convienced by several (3) chemist that are not biased, that the nail plate does not obsorb chemicals into the blood stream. Thats the thing I don't just take one reported research study to be fact or just hear say from the news I need real fact. And I know that Lots of products could be nonhyperallergic, But it doesn't mean its not intering the blood stream and effecting organs. I too have be in the nail business Many years and have studied about health for just as many. So I'm not listening to Quackes trying to put the scare facter on me, thats not where I get my info. from.

Last edited:
Also I have no disrespect for all the professional nail techs on this site and don't want to start this back up making it all about me. This is just how i believe only and I do love most of the products and use them. PLEASE NEW NAIL TECHS DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO MY BELIEVES. LISTEN TO THE OTHER PROFESSIONALS ON THIS SITE,THE'RE VERY EDGUCATED IN THE PRODUCTS THEY USE,.

Last edited:
I dont see why you need to add to this thread if what you do is not properly tested nor the 'norm'. I'd say a handful of techs use IA instead of the recommended products and the reason is probably because it is cheaper - there is no other real reason why you would not use the products that have been designed to do the job you want it to do.
Scrubfresh is one of the best prep products on the market my salon couldnt survive without it!

if you use what your product recommends, and you are using brisa, for the inhibition layer you cannot go wrong with scrubfresh, we are all successful techs on here and still you want to doubt scrubfresh?! Doug schoon where are you? There is a chemist who will set you right on all the facts that you want. :)
i hope and pray thats true. i would love to found out the truth other then what i believe. I don't want to be set apart from the rest of you professionals. When i post,if you'ld like, i well try not to talk about what i believe if its different then yours.:)

I use Ethanol to remove inhibition layer and always go over the whole thing with cuticle oil anyways, so there is no drying, as the skin is nourished once more within 5 seconds.

You can also try non acetone remover ( hopefully a relatively pure ketone solution) which is less drying than acetone.

To say using Scrubfresh is better is quite hypocritical as it's basically 50/50 acetone and alcohol (and both are quite drying chemicals) buffered or not.

I dont see why you need to add to this thread if what you do is not properly tested nor the 'norm'. I'd say a handful of techs use IA instead of the recommended products and the reason is probably because it is cheaper - there is no other real reason why you would not use the products that have been designed to do the job you want it to do.
Scrubfresh is one of the best prep products on the market my salon couldnt survive without it!
I'm confused then about what this site is all about. I thought it was for training and sharing Ideals. What makes your way better then mine if it works. The aconomy causes us to find other ways, not just because of not liking whats in a product. On other threads techs posted new ways to do thinks and were encouraged, yet your constantly rebucking me. And if I miss spelled something i'm sorry I can't get the spell check to work as I'm sure others may be having trouble with too and are heavily scolded for.

BY the way in the 80s when they use to sprinkle powder over resin to repair a broken nail, I desided to use backscratcher resin over whole nail and instade of using fiberglass I dip the finger in my crative nail powder and followed as if I were doing it with fiberglass (wrap) except for some differances. Any way after many years out of the nail business I see this process being done in Michigan that I use to do in Ohio. I stepped out of the box and did something different and now companys sell a special kit to do what I did with backscracher and creative powder. Not saying I started it, I don't know.

Last edited:
BY the way in the 80s when they use to sprinkle powder over resin to repair a broken nail, I desided to use backscratcher resin over whole nail and instade of using fiberglass I dip the finger in my crative nail powder and followed as if I were doing it with fiberglass (wrap) except for some differances. Any way after many years out of the nail business I see this process being done in Michigan that I use to do in Ohio. I stepped out of the box and did something different and now companys sell a special kit to do what I did with backscracher and creative powder. Not saying I started it, I don't know.

tip and dip is quite and old system, but at least you thought of it yourself.

I remember using a bit of tissue or teabag instead of a wrap:) (toilet paper was good too, then they started putting pretty patterns on it), that's considered "nail art" these days.

Knit one, pearl 2, drop 1:eek:

But i'm an old fart......

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesnt really bother me what you use and yes this site is for sharing ideas and finding ways to improve your skill and I'm all for someting new though I believe posting to the masses should follow product usage guidelines first. if you've found it works - well for ya, personally I use products as intended and recommended by my suppliers.

Latest posts

Back