Using Koleston perfect to cover grey hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmmaD1990

Reaction score
Hi . my client has been to a salon previously and had her hair done, it is about an 8/03. she has now come to me and would like her roots done, her roots are 100% grey. I use Koleston perfect colours and when putting an 8/03 on it did not cover. can anyone suggest the lightest colour that will take to grey hair or a mix that i can do to cover them stubbern greys!

Have you tried pre softening the hair? There are a couple of methods you could use namely putting neat 6% on the regrowth then applying the desired colour. This will help the colour absorb into the resistant hair. You can also use neat colour I believe however I've not tried this method myself. They don't recommend using higher than an 8-9 on 100% grey hair. The double bases in koleston are designed for grey hair. Hope this might help a bit x

Try 88/0 with some /33 mix tone :)

Yeah I would def use double base to! 88/0 And mix it a little bit thicker! And add some 8/3 to il! That's what I would do! X

I would use 88/0 and /33 and 6% there no point using 88/0 and 8/03 as the double base won't do any thing. double base are only used with mixer tones :) xx

When i used /33 in with 88/0 i found it dropped at least a shade darker so be careful xx

hi ive had exactly the same problem with the same colour! I had forgot my password so couldnt get on to ask so emailed wella and they very kindly sent this reply below...it worked well too but i didnt use any heat on mine hope this helps xxx

Wella Professionals do not recommend to pre-soften the hair prior to a colour service. This is due to applying neat peroxide to the scalp is classed as a health and safety risk, and is not a technique Wella Professionals teach.
It is recommended if you are finding that the hair is becoming more resistant a base colour must be added to the mixture to ensure 100% grey coverage on more stubborn areas.

I would recommend that a mixture of 15ml 8/0 and 15ml 8/03 is applied to the hair line first prior to the remainder of the re-growth. Ensure plenty of product is being applied and fully saturating the hair. The product can be left on 10 minutes longer than the recommended development time to ensure colour clarity, 35-45 minutes.

If the hair is particularly resistant it is advised to apply heat to the product to help the hair cuticle open and the product settle into the cortex.
A recommended development time is 25 minutes under heat and 15 minutes without heat to allow the colour to penetrate and settle into the cortex more efficiently.
like I say hope it helps you out xxx

I agree with rachul123. The koleston doubles (88/0 etc) come out darker so maybe add some 99/0 as well as /33. If its really stubborn maybe pre pig.

When we changed to matrix, we had problems covering grey they said pre-pig hence we changed back from matrix to previous brand. Maybe try pre pig :)

i would use mixing ratio of 1:3 example 45mls 88/0 + 10mls 8/03 + 5mls 8/3 + 6%.for really resistant hair wella recommend using rule 1-11 special mix so 60mls of 88/0 + 6cms of /3 + 60mls of 6%:Grope:

I had the same problem, In the end I pre-softened, and then used 30g 77/0 and 15g 10/03. worked great! :biggrin:

Before you starting playing around with pre softening (which doesn't work as lotions are acidic they close the cuticle), look at some white coverage rules.

Is the hair clean and free from oils (washed within 24-48 hours)?
Analysis the hair- double bases are for resistant hair - shiny coarse wirey hair that is harder to colour! Nothing to do with being 100% ( colour isn't that cleaver that it can figure out how much white hair a client has).
Have you picked exactly the right shade? Anything lighter with look like it hasn't covered.
Mix exactly 1:1 (using scales is most accurate)
Use the correct lotion- not generic.
Use plenty of product, placed onto the scalp with no overlapping - if you can still see scalp you haven't applied enough.
Heat will help to open the cuticle, and as wella said you can increase development time if needed.

We all know every major brand cover white hair otherwise they wouldn't make it. Pre softening, adding extra colour, and making stuff up can have an adverse effect on the hair and scalp, even something as simple as working on clean hair can solves your issues.

Do not pre soften - what a faff for little reward.

I bet if you went in with 88/0 and 6% it would cover a treat.

As previously says, develop under heart for 25 minutes, Wella also say you can up development times by ten minutes if you need to. I have a couple of clients under heat for 35 minutes.

Do not pre soften - what a faff for little reward.

I bet if you went in with 88/0 and 6% it would cover a treat.

As previously says, develop under heart for 25 minutes, Wella also say you can up development times by ten minutes if you need to. I have a couple of clients under heat for 35 minutes.
You should use double digits alone, too flat!

Latest posts

Back