Using Neal's Yard in the salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigtoe

Reaction score
Hi there everyone, I know there has been a few discussions about using these products in the salon before, but I would like some up-to-date thoughts please! My biggest negative issue is that it is not a professional excusive brand, but have spoken to someone today at Scottish Beauty Show and I thought the set up / training appeared to be genuine and thorough. I know the products can be purchased form John Lewis or Neal Yard shop, however is this not the same as joe public buying MAC (example) make up?? Is it not about the application and knowlege that is important or am I being narrow minded? I work in a small salon where I have only ever used Kaeso as cant afford big names and think I would be better supported with them than buying from wholesalers with no insight to company? Thanks for any helpful comments x

The choice has to be yours but my objection to Neals Yard is not that they're available in place mentioned but the fact that they are an mlm company so your clients can get an opening order super cheap (in the region of £60) and set up selling the products with little or no knowledge of skincare.

Vic x

The choice has to be yours but my objection to Neals Yard is not that they're available in place mentioned but the fact that they are an mlm company so your clients can get an opening order super cheap (in the region of £60) and set up selling the products with little or no knowledge of skincare.

Vic x
Thanks for reply. I see where you are coming from.if I use in salon I don't have to push sales though or push for them to order do I? That would be up to them to do this off their own back? Or am I expected to encourage clients to buy into brand?

Besides the retail products, many professional ranges will have a number of professional only products i.e. salon specific masks, exfoliators etc. As far as I know the Neal's Yard range is purely a retail range and has no salon only formulations?

Besides the retail products, many professional ranges will have a number of professional only products i.e. salon specific masks, exfoliators etc. As far as I know the Neal's Yard range is purely a retail range and has no salon only formulations?
Very good point Martin, it's always good to be able to offer an in salon treatment they can't do at home. This is what makes us professionals, where we can offer a specific treatment because we know more about there skin than they know about there own.

I think you are correct that there is no professional only range, and that was my worry , that it was seen as a issue.......but think that clients would maybe be ok with this if they received a good treatment? Could you not add to the treatment with a similar product so that you have maybe two suppliers if something was committed from NYR that I thought I needed?

To be honest, you can do what you like but retail makes up an enormous part of my profit. You're going to struggle to make much money on products clients can easily set up and sell themselves. The mark up is usually considerably less than on pro only products as well. I also wouldn't recommend mixing products. You'd be much better off working out what you want from a range and going out to find it rather than trying to make Neals Yard fit.

Vic x

Thanks for your reply.I think you are right if I were to be looking to retail I would be best to opt for something else however I do not plan to be big in sales. It is not a big profit maker in the small salon -hair or beauty retail - and I have nothing in comparison as my clients don't tend to be looking for "home products".

Latest posts

Back