Using Wella - need baby blonde, not white

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookie303

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been having Wella high lift tint on my hair which is naturally around a level 7 with a lot of warmth in the hair. My old hairdresser used 12/0 but used on its own this used to make the hair quite white/platinum, especially if it got combed through at all when touching up the roots. I know white blonde is very sought after but it looks terrible on me! To counteract this she used to add some 12/03 sometimes to add gold but over time this would go gingery.
I've recently moved to a new area and after having a disaster with a L'Oreal salon, have returned to someone who uses Wella. They used 12/0 and combed it through to get rid of the L'Oreal shade. Roots went ginger, ends completely white with no tone at all. They re-did the roots for me and they went blonde but overall it's just way too white and unnatural looking. They suggest using 12/1 next time to counteract the ginger root problem but am I just going to keep going too white?
How can I get a pale and bright baby blonde (preferably with Wella as I like the new salon) rather than the white?
Long running problem so any help would be received with much gratitude! :)
Nikki

I use 12/11 on my mother in law she is also base 7 with warm tones and it turns out perfect, really natural blonde non of this brassy yellow blonde.

Thanks for your tip. I think 12/11 is more ashy than 12/1? Worried about going too ashy as it's a warm natural blonde i'm after.
I had a hunt on google to try and find something as an example, have attached photo of Sienna Miller where the colour looks great.
I know the obvious answer if it's going too white is to try a darker shade but am worried that these won't lift out enough and I'll end up with ginger roots again.
How do I get to the natural light blonde and stop there without it losing all its tone?
Have been hunting these forums for the last few weeks hoping to find someone with a similar problem but no luck yet, so thought i beg for an expert opinion myself :green:

Attachments

• Sienna_Miller_39.jpg
    Sienna_Miller_39.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 43,743
Hi, I think looking at the picture if I was your hairdresser I would bleach your roots with wella blonder range then apply a beige toner to give you that soft blonde look, it would work out a little more expensive but worth it if you get result xxx

Oh gosh I used to have this problem my hair is about an 8 ish naturally and I used to use 12/0 and it made my hair too white aswell so to make it look more natural I have coloured a section underneath (pre piged) and then used 8/0 and 7/0 colour touch and had full head low lights through the rest using 7/07 and 8/07 equal parts and it now looks very natural now I just have t section foils of 10/0 and my hair is still very blonde but looks lilke its hi lighted hope this helps! Also bear in mind my natural colour is lighter and less gold than yours so the 10/0 that I use may not lift your hair the same x

Thanks for your replies. I was wondering whether I'd have to go over to bleach but am nervous of it as I had a bad bleach previously. I can talk it over with this hairdresser though. I don't mind too much about the cost as long as I finally get it right.
Rhe - I'm pleased to find someone else who's had the same problem, as hairdressers tend to look at me as if I'm crazy when I say this. For a start they don't believe that the 12/0 will lift it that light, and also they are always being asked for white blonde so they don't seem to understand when I say it's too light :eek: You seem to have had to go down a pretty complicated road to get yours right!! I did wonder whether to switch to highlights but I hate my natural colour so don't like the idea of letting any of it grow in. I've also toyed with the idea of just going for a full head tint with 10/0 or 10/1 but that may be asking for ginger roots and maybe I just won't get as bright a colour as I want.
Everyone on here seems so knowledgable about colour, I wish I could find someone in a salon with as much expertise. At mine they are pretty convinced that 12/1 is going to be the magic colour. But if 12/0 takes it too light surely 12/1 will too. Has anyone had any experience of trying out these two colours and the different effects you get?

Or of using 10/0 or 10/1 on a natural 7ish?
Thanks!! X

if it was me i would use 10/1 definatly, 10/0 may throw up too much gold xxx

dont do bleach at all,i wouldent to much risk of damage to hair and scalp,i would have a set of hightlights and have a few shades put in, 10/1,12/1 and possibly 9/1,it would break it up and look lovely,thats what i would advise if you were my client xx

Thanks that's good advice, I guess breaking it up is the key. It's just so easy to maintain with a one colour root touch up that I live in hope of finding the one perfect tint colour. But that's probably unrealistic :wink2: and I really hate this white colour. I've been using Wella Blonde Saver shampoo to bring the gold back in but it's my last bottle and they've discontinued it :mad:

If you use wella blonder range with 20vol or even 10vol i can assure you there will be very little damage to your hair, probably less than if you use a 12 with a high peroxcide, also I think the highlighted look is nothing like what you are looking for, I know what you mean when you say you just want 1 shade (I am the same) I think if you have a good chat with your hairdresser and ask her to try a few strand tests first you might get the look you want, there are so many toners out there now there has to be the 1 for you, sorry I just think if you are a base 7 the warm blonde should not be too difficult to achieve xx

Thanks I think so too! I do like the highlighted look on others but because my natural colour is a bit dull and gingerish I don't like the idea of having to grow it in longer between colours, or of it growing out into the hair. With the all over tint I can have a retouch each month, and because it only goes on the root the condition usually remains ok. A couple of years ago when my hair was very short, the 12/0 no longer took it bright enough (as it only really got dyed once and then was more or less cut out again) so I had bleach. First of all they left it without any toner on and I literally glowed in the dark my hair was so white. I went back and complained and they used a toner which was ok but would fade between colours and end up going quite white again. I don't think that salon really knew what they were doing when it came to cut or colour. I just looked at a passport photo from when I was going to them and I look like I have a dead cat on my head!! I have unusually thick hair, and when it's a very dead white colour this seems to emphasize the thickness. Once when it got out of condition a friend likened me to a 'hamster peering out from under a haystack' hee hee :o
So it needs seriously expert attention. Perhaps this new salon will be a bit more helpful about experimenting to get it right.
Found another pic I like, less natural but still looks like a block colour. Is a little red maybe but a nice vibrant colour. And the style is fairly similar to mine. :) X

Attachments

• jenna-elfman-short-hair.jpg
    jenna-elfman-short-hair.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 4,078
Guess I'll take the above pic to salon and ask them to try and get something similar. And take with me all of the advice from here!! I actually think Jenna Elfman (pictured) has a fairly similar natural colour to me, roughly the same level and quite warm. Do you think she got this colour with bleach or tint?

That cut and colour is very nice take it along to your hairdresser and let her have a look, , I know you said you like wella but loreal do a fab range for toners, (diacolour 8.13 natural beige) is one of them, you can also get a wella color fresh 8/03, hope this all helps xx

I would say bleach and toned, I think your right she looks like she has allot of warmth in her hair x

It helps a lot, thanks :D if I could only find a high lift that got roughly that colour instead of either leaving it ginger or too white then how happy I would be :) The crazy thing is that I used to have it dyed that colour about a decade ago and I know it was with a tint but no idea what they used.
Glad I found a picture I really like though, means if I keep taking it to salon we can keep comparing it to see if we're getting it right. Think I'll print off these messages and take them also. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer!! Xx

I use a wella 10/8 on a client who is a base 7 with a orange undertone tone to her hair and I add a tiny bit /88 and it goes baby blonde really clean lovely colour, I definitely don't think you need to bleach it or use anything as high as a 12

Thanks, I've been wondering whether a 10 is the way to go (that's the next one down from 12 right? or is there an 11??) Can you still get quite a significant lift with the 10? Also, sorry I know that /1 is ash but what are /8 and /88? Would these be better on warm undertones than a 10/1 or 10/0? I'm learning an amazing amount on this site!

if i were you i would get a few opinions from different hairdressers,see which ones seem the most in touch with what you want,i work alone and needed some highlights once,went into a hairdressers and came out with disgusting yellow hair,i felt too upset to say anything so after paying a ridiculous amount i covered it up myself the next day!!! so it is worth having a scout around!! xxx

I would try the most Ash formula with double 30 volume instead of double 40. Use a demi shade on the ends verses pulling that harsh double process color through.

Latest posts

Back