Utilizing fiber with gel..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BKnOki

Reaction score
How many others use fiber with gel vs. resins systems...I love the simplicty of it and follow Barbs technique(Nailsplash) It works great and I have a lot of clients who prefer this system due to the fact it suffers from fewer breakdowns(adhesive) and seems to last forever.....

sawasdee ka

I do not know about this system can you speak more please about it .

Thank you mui from Thailand

hi

Yes thats what we do with biosculpture.

Mui step by step for you:
1) tip and blend
2) apply a layer of gel and cure
3) cut fabric to shape
4) apply a layer of gel and place fabric into it
5) gently dab until fabric dissapears into the gel
6) make sure it is flat cure
7) 1-2 more layers of gel cure
8) buff and finish as usual.

Hmmm.....fibreglass works good with resin (cynoacrylate, sp?), but fibreglass with gel is not the same...I really don't see the benefit of ading fibreglass to gel nails unless it is used to fix a crack or something (to make it more stable) .

There is a chemical reaction that happens between fiberglass and resin, just like between powder and liquid. That doesn't happen when you mix gel with powder or gel with fibreglass.

Gel is strong (it should be) on its own and a piece of fabric is not gonna make it stronger.
It just doesn't make sense to me..........

But then again...I'm not a chemist.....and this is only my personal opinion.....maybe Sam or Geeg would add their valuable opinion.... :green:

Hi

Just to clarify the gel i use it with is biosculpture which is a soft gel you wouldnt need it with LCN for example which is strong enough on its own.
However biosculpture is a soak off gel and we mainly use it for natural overlays, but when a client has an unmendable (is that a word??) break we put a tip on with fabric this is also how you sculpt with biosculpture using a fibreglass/silk.

I understand Angel...but what I'm saying is that there is no chemical reaction between fibreglass and bio-gel to make it stronger...(like it happens with resin)....
or am I totally wrong (what do you think Sam or Geeg?)

Fibreglass is not strong on its own, it's just a fabric, so I dont see how it would help to make bio-gel stronger.

Please don't think that I'm criticizing your idea...just thinking out loud...

When using a piece of Fibreglass to reinforce a (thin type of soak off) gel enhancement, it can have the effect of adding more toughness and flexibility to the enhancement. I acts as a stabilizer to the product in much the same way that steel mesh helps to hold layers of concrete together.

There is no chemical reaction between the gel and the fibreglass, and there is no chemical reaction between EC resin and fibreglass either, in the case of wrap enhancements. The fibre just sits there to add stability so that the product will bend rather than break.

geeg said:
When using a piece of Fibreglass to reinforce a (thin type of soak off) gel enhancement, it can have the effect of adding more toughness and flexibility to the enhancement. I acts as a stabilizer to the product in much the same way that steel mesh helps to hold layers of concrete together.

There is no chemical reaction between the gel and the fibreglass, and there is no chemical reaction between EC resin and fibreglass either, in the case of wrap enhancements. The fibre just sits there to add stability so that the product will bend rather than break.
sawasdee ka

This is a very very good thread we learn some thing new all the time .

Mui from Thailand

Thanks Ms.Geeg I still dont understand the chemical aspect of some systems but the common sense aspect is rather easy to grasp...would like more clarification on the following though...
Fiber in gel-find the loose fiber doesnt give same results as embedded woven fiber(imho)
Dip systems-seems like just bonding the polymer on rather than having it under going the reaction with polymer..?
Particule or polymer added in great quanities to gel such as for color seems to weaken the gel(kinda like too much clay in brick)..?
Have no problems with my own color mixed gels and I really do prefer embedded fiber and have had good results with adding polymer such as glitter or color added to gel but the long and short of it is I would like to understand more fully how these react and all if any reasons why they wouldnt be used...Thanks in advance luv...

Take some old pantyhose material and apply resin(cyanoacrylate) activate to one small piece now try any old gel to another patch and see which and what results you may prefer...

BKnOki said:
Take some old pantyhose material and apply resin(cyanoacrylate) activate to one small piece now try any old gel to another patch and see which and what results you may prefer...

I'm not sure that this idea will actually prove anything as we are not using panty hose (nylon) when we wrap nails using fibregalss.
All resins give off heat when activated ... panty hose being nylon may melt!!!

Fibreglass (man Made fibre) as opposed to say silk or cotton (natural) keeps its integrity within the enhancement by staying separate from the resin. i.e. it never soaks up the resin, just becomes embedded in it. Natural fibres however, do soak up the resin and in so doing, sort of become the resin ... making them not quite as strong an option as fibreglass. However silk wraps are still strong and durable and ladies do love the idea of their nails being wrapped in silk. sounds a bit more glamorous than fibreglass!!

BKnOki said:
would like more clarification on the following though...
Fiber in gel-find the loose fiber doesnt give same results as embedded woven fiber(imho)

I have to say I am not sure just what you mean by 'loose' Fiber?? as opposed to embedded fiber.

BKnOki said:
Dip systems-seems like just bonding the polymer on rather than having it under going the reaction with polymer..?

It is just that.

Particule or polymer added in great quanities to gel such as for color seems to weaken the gel(kinda like too much clay in brick)..?...

The key is, the amount and the balance does have to be right.

BKnOki said:
Have no problems with my own color mixed gels and I really do prefer embedded fiber and have had good results with adding polymer such as glitter or color added to gel but the long and short of it is I would like to understand more fully how these react and all if any reasons why they wouldnt be used...Thanks in advance luv...

Your manufacturer should be able to explain how and what you can do to enhance your system and just what are the safe limits. I remember doug Schoon once telling me that (in Creative's case anyway) the monomer and polymers were very finely balanced and any additions to the system such as 'colour drops' etc could throw off thebalance. You would still get a form of plastic, but not what Creative would guarantee to work. So these things do affect the finished product ... If you are going to 'play' it is a question of finding the limits before the product performance is seriously debilitated.

Gigi, thanks you for the great info :biggrin: !!!!!

I once read about a set of nails where the tech had used fabric matching the client's dress for a special occasion. The tech had cut the leftover fabric from the dress to cover the free edge only and set it into the enhancement.

When I read it it sounded like a sort of "ruby slippers" effect except matching the dress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back