utter confusion!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julie321

Reaction score
hi all

i currently work on the reception in my boyf's mum's salon. i've always been interested in nails and a couple of months ago i did a nail course with 'creative'. i've been practicing loads and have done approx 20 sets so far (on work colleagues and friend, for free). i love doing acrylics and now i want to start doing nails properly as a career, but i'm in a difficult position bcoz my boyf's mum wants me to stay on at the salon (which i would love to ideally) and do nails but for a low wage (as i'd be using her stock and doing her customers). should i buy my own stock and try to negotiate a better salary with her? but then i'm thinking of the potential earnings from doing nails mobile. i dont really know what to do.:confused:

please help!

i would stay on at the salon and get salon experience first
i dont think you can beat it!
then if you do decide to move onto another salon , youll have experience or if you decide to go it alone, ie mobile or own salon, at least youll have client experience!!
good luck

I would also stay with what you are doing at the moment to get the salon experience.

i would stay on at the salon and get salon experience first
i dont think you can beat it!
then if you do decide to move onto another salon , youll have experience or if you decide to go it alone, ie mobile or own salon, at least youll have client experience!!
good luck

i'd have to agree, it will really help you acheive your long term goals much more quickly.
with every set of salon nails you do you will become faster and more expert and far more likely to succeed when you go it alone.

Getting salon experence is always a good thing. You may want to consider if you went mobile would you have a big enough clientele base for it to be a full time job? Or what about both. I plan on opening a mobile but it will just be who I choose to and will keep my other jobs. Its more so for the fact that way I can work on friends refferals etc. and be legal

Salon experience is good but would you be the only one doing nails? If so then there would be no real advantage to being in the salon, if you had nobody to point you in the right direction or help if you had problems.

It all depends what you want really. Undoubtedly if you work on your own you will earn more, but then you need to be prepared to spend quite a bit on marketing yourself. I have never had any salon experience but started 4 years ago and have built up my business mostly by word of mouth and am nice and busy. So salon experience can be good but it is not the be all and end all.

So yes, if you like the salon atmosphere and enjoy the environment, by all means stay. I would want to strike out on my own . . . but that's just me. hth x

Latest posts

Back