UV-cured polish peels and chips and shrinks and wrinkles? Does it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally agree !

A hairdresser I used to work with is now mobile and has just started to offer shellac to her clients. After seeing some of the pictures she has posted on facebook I am utterly stunned that anyone would pay for it as her polish application is appalling.

I think as you say a lot of people offering gel polish have no idea how to do a professional nail paint, I suspect they don't care or have rose tinted specs on and can't see the mess in front of them.

Of course when problems happen its absolutely not the technician its always the product fault :rolleyes:

I totally agree that there are many people out there who are not trained properly or even at all which is damaging to our industry, but I also think there is an issue with the training academies/colleges/centres.

I am fully trained nail technician and beautician and have been doing LCN nail extensions and manicures for years. I have recently trained in Shellac through an academy, but have still had lots of problems - I hold my hands up to that it is probably 99% down to me and my aplication, but I am not daft and I am doing as I have been trained to do so and I do know how to polish, so I think there needs to be some tightening up on the training centres - for example, with Shellac, does CND check everyone who is offering training in their product, are those centres approved CND centres?

Yes it should probably be down to us as experts to check that ourselves when we book our training, but I think there is an element of people looking at cost of courses as well as efficiency, but if the wrong training wasn't being delivered in the first place, there might not be so many problems!

I am confused , did you do your Shellac training through a CND academy?

Fab thread ,
and I also agree very much that the people time and time again that have the problems are the DIY'ers , or the ones who are not fully trained in nails ,

but
I have never understood why UV color coats are marketed at prity much anyone with a manicure certificate ?

and another thing that I really don't understand is why insurance company's insure people who are not trained in UV gel to use UV lamps and cured products in there services ?
how is it insurable if you dont know the basic maintance of a UV light ? eg) PAT ? cleaning procedure , bulb maintenance ,

Inhibition layers and over exposure are definitely not covered in a typical manicure or pedicure class , so how on earth do people get valid professional insurance for treatments they are not covered in ?

Geeg I couldn't agree more and it's something I've been thinking for a while.

Without exception I haven't had a problem with Shellac wrinkling. Having polished for 9 years I don't find the application a problem. I only trained (and started offering afterwards) Shellac in January this year, had a couple of teething troubles on people with weak/damaged nails, but the vast majority of people who have had Shellac have been really pleased, with some lasting 3 weeks.

I think there are an AWFUL lot of folk jumping on the bandwagon and basically doing it (probably badly) for the money and giving the service a bad name. Then they come on here and try to poach knowledge from those of us who have done the proper training and plenty of other nail training too.

I've seen some rubbish by a nearby salon where I know they don't even use a proper lamp, my client said she nearly didn't bother to get them done again as she just thought that Shellac must be rubbish :evil:

I even had a client ask me where they could buy Shellac stuff to do on themselves (do they not GET the thing about professional service?) and wait for it, I even had a client proudly informing me that her sister had bought a load of Shellac stuff on ebay for £80, the lamp and everything . . . . you can imagine the conversation that ensued but we are still friends and she has l&p anyway. .. I just can't wait for the next installment of how her sister's Shellac is doing :Scared::lol:

Last edited:
Agreed the dozens of posts start to bore cr*p out of me.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes i agree . tighter regulation within the industry would help, but why can't the forums here be only accessed by professionals? could that not be tightened up so messers and diy'ers cannot log on here and pick our brains for their benefit ?

Totally agree with you Geeg, I think I mentioned this a while ago in another thread. All the gel polish problems seem to be coming from people who have skipped the relevant training and/or do not have a nail tech background.

I have been a nail tech for 8 years. I use two different gel polish systems and had the training for both. Yes there was repetition, but I have never had any problems applying or removing. I also love having the certificates on my wall :biggrin: Most the workshops/courses are pretty cheap, you would make the money back in a few hours and a lack of problems will help you hang on to clients.

Two other thread type that irk me a little
1) "Layering, how do I make X,Y,Z colour?" Spend some time experimenting with your products and some old tips??? You could probably even do it on a piece of old plastic or paper.
2) "What's the best gel polish on the market?" Research. Look for yourself, test everything yourself. Then come on here and see what others are saying. Perhaps only research the products others on here are raving about, but do your own research.

I am not knocking anyone in particular and I wouldn't want to make people feel uneasy about posting. However, I do wonder how you can hope to run a successful business if you are
a) not prepared to undergo professional training
b) not prepared to do your research before you make a major investment
c) do not have enough passion/drive to want to play around with your products when you're not working.

yes i agree . tighter regulation within the industry would help, but why can't the forums here be only accessed by professionals? could that not be tightened up so messers and diy'ers cannot log on here and pick our brains for their benefit ?
I found salon geek in a search on the net when i was struggling to find any good information when i was at collage , i bet hundreds if not thousands of other geeks found there way here in much the same way ,

if the site was pro only how would the new / future geeks find there way ?

also who would determine and police the qualified from the un qualified ?

I hear you ... But as this is a teaching site for budding professionals as well as experienced professionals, Samuel has explained in other posts that this cannot just be a qualified pro only site.

We do not allow non professionals to post advice on the forums and the mods do a great job seeing that they do not. I think they and we do a pretty good job!

As to complaining about similar or boring threads, I have only two comments ...

1. Don't read them if they bore you
2. Post some interesting thought provoking threads yourself and prompt some intelligent discussion!

Most of us are thirsty for knowledge ... You only have to see the interest in thought provoking threads to realise we can't get enough of them. So put your thinking caps on and post them, geeks. :hug:

Mizzy Dizzy - I did it through a beauty college (who I won't publically name as they are a national organisation), who I know well and so assumed they were registered to deliver CND training, which they might be, but I know I was taught some things differently to what is on here, so I now follow the advice given to me on here and that I have recieved from Sweet Squared.

I agree that gel systems such as Shellac, should be easy - I really do agree with that - but I have been doing nail enhancements, manicures, pedicures and many other beauty treatments for a good number of years now and hold my hands up to being one of those people who have problem after problem with Shellac.

I can paint, can manicure and can follow instructions, but have still come up against a few teething issues. I also agree that much of this must be down to something I am doing wrong, as I still have faith in the product as there are 1000s who have no problems with it, but I don't think it's just "non professionals" that can have problems. Like I say, I know I am a good nail technician, but have struggled with this product and that is after having training for it!

I find this site very useful though and I do always do a search before posting a question to save myself and everyone else time!

PS - I have spoken to Sweet Squared a couple of times and awaiting a date to do another Shellac course, so I am taking on board that there is no such thing as too much training! :wink2:

i would just like to say i am very new to the nail industry and only do natural nails but have done all the relevant qualifications and i find this site a massive help. i have probably posted a thread about things not going quite right. i find the advice extremely helpful and the reassurance helps that other people have gone through the learning curve that I am going through now. it's really helpful that people take the time out to reply and help new people out :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I really see you're point of view, i am fairly new to salon geeks and i quite often see threads and think oh no not another one but i have done Gelish training and have many years of manicure experience and different enhancement courses but this still doesn't mean you aren't going to experience problems, the training day just gives you the basic knowledge and it take lots of practice afterwards as i found applying it is nothing in comparisment to normal poilsh and i have found most of my advice and tips on here thank god! whether it be a question or search i don't see it matters. Sometimes it just takes ages to search through previous threads so putting a post on gives you a quick reply so i suppose if you've been a member for ages it must gripe you - but i find the headline is there so either choose to ignore or reply if you want to give advice. You can usually tell by the question itself if they,ve had the training or not and its the not i tend to ignore as i think ive paid for mine go get yours!
Please don't give up on your much needed advice fellow geeks :lol:

I remember the good old days (not that long ago), when you wanted to take on a product line (of any sort) and you had a REP!!! They would come and show you the product, how to apply it, work with it and give you any information needed!! I think this is a big down fall in our industry these days and contributing to people not knowing what they are doing!!! Iv just taken on a gel system and i was so shocked that i could just buy it without being shown or visited!!! I find witg these new systems that sg is the only place to come for advice as i cannot ring the company eveytime i want a bit of advice. My nearest (and only) training centre is an hour away and only do courses on my working days and its a lot of money considering what ill lose if i take a day off (i work on my own). Iv only been in the industry 6 years and when i started i was thouroughly "checked out" by all the major 5 brands that i use for nails, skincare etc. I just find that all these "gel" systems had such a successful boom in the industry they forget about the people that have to use them day in day out. But hay ho i guess with all these cutbacks and people being money crazy something has to suffer and unfortunatly its our education!! *rant over*

Hi Geeks, I have been lurking on here for a long time now but check the site daily. Seeing this post made me want to finally post and start using the site to its full potential! I only completed my training last year in L+P, mani and pedi, Shellac and a polishing class from geeg :) I have to say, I think the majority of the problems of people are having are because they are over complicating things! I have found Shellac such a simple product to use and get a lot of enjoyment out of using it on clients and seeing the results. But that's because I do exactly as I was taught in my education in every single service, its 10 seconds for a reason, and a CND lamp for a reason, who am I to question something that people have spent thousands on pounds and time researching?!

Don't get me wrong I'm far from perfect and being a newbie to the industry means I have a lot to learn but I'm providing the correct service and my clients are happy!

Hi Geeks, I have been lurking on here for a long time now but check the site daily. Seeing this post made me want to finally post and start using the site to its full potential! I only completed my training last year in L+P, mani and pedi, Shellac and a polishing class from geeg :) I have to say, I think the majority of the problems of people are having are because they are over complicating things! I have found Shellac such a simple product to use and get a lot of enjoyment out of using it on clients and seeing the results. But that's because I do exactly as I was taught in my education in every single service, its 10 seconds for a reason, and a CND lamp for a reason, who am I to question something that people have spent thousands on pounds and time researching?!

Don't get me wrong I'm far from perfect and being a newbie to the industry means I have a lot to learn but I'm providing the correct service and my clients are happy!

Bout flipping time I'd say with words of wisdom like those! :hug:

God I love training, when it's good!!

But as much as that I love reading and researching things - that has become more of an acquired taste - but it's there.

People want instant gratification in all areas of their life now and taking time out to research, learn and retrain doesn't quite fit into that very snuggly.

I've messed on with trendy wraps a bit last year, mum liked one of the patterns she saw so bought one to put on her, it was ok but I didn't do it very well and never tried again. This year, I'm waiting to hear back on the date/cost for a Minx training course local to me so once I'm trained, I'll give it a go, if I have problems I'll research, if I still have problems I'll contact my trainer and if I still have problems I'll be on here shouting for help! But y'know what, if I continue to have problems I'll just do the bloody course again until I get it right! :wink2:

What an interesting thread.

Although i am trained in gel and l&p i do find that buying gel polishes easy without being asked to show proof of my qualifications.
I hear lots of people say oh i do my own nails and buy the products online when they have no qualifications, which annoys me esp when ive paid out for all my training and products myself and i still have loads to learn before being fully confident in what i do on other people.
I bought gelac from my local supplier and was having problems with colour bleed/ marbling effect. I went back to my supplier who advised me to come and see the rep on her next visit, which i did. I went though the application etc and found that what i was experiencing was a flaw with the base coat, she swapped mine there and then and had no problems with the product at all afterwards.
IMO; A mixture of good training and product knowlege is required before moaning about any product.

Sent from my MT15i using SalonGeek

I agree with most replies.
I've not been a member for very long, maybe just under a year. And I'm getting so bored when I log on and all I see is posts about gelish, shellac etc. I've found most of my answers through taking a few minutes to search a little bit. I think many people are just bone idol and can't be bothered, most of the threads are from people that have contributed very little with answers but have asked many questions... this is a good little topic. :)

Another Geek in agreement here :)

It's crazy how many threads there are about Shellac/Gelish and such like application problems and a class is the only way you are ever going to learn the proper way to use these products. I love training, I love to learn, I thrive on it and will continue to do as many courses as I can when I can. In the last 8 months, I have taken a Shellac class, I have taken a polish class with the very lovely Geeg and I plan on taking ANOTHER Shellac class (hopefully a one to one) with another very lovely geek member very soon. And after that? More classes.

There is no such thing as being "done" with your training. In order to be the BEST Nail Technician you can be, you have to regularly refresh your knowledge, learn new techniques and brush up on "old" techniques.

Education is the most important factor and without it, we're as bad as DIY'ers IMO ;)

I'm not shellac trained! Been doing it for two years and I have clients who have had it at other salons had problems and have come to me and ate now regular clients so much be doing something right! And as for insurance some insurance will not insurance for it you don't have a certificate but the one I'm with said that my gel nails extension certificate will be enough!

Latest posts

Back