UV-cured polish peels and chips and shrinks and wrinkles? Does it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you suggest we book classes if they are none offered in our living area? Shellac and Gelish are both on sale in professionals stores, but I have yet been able to find ANY classes at all, within 2 hours drive of where I live. It's a bit annoying. I've been using the products on myself and friends mostly as practice, and I would love to get proper training, but it's not offered here...

I'm not having any problems with these products, so it's not about asking questions, why it peels, comes off, etc.... I've had my current Gelish manicure on for 2 weeks and it still looks fantastic.

I'd just really love to get into a training class and be able to say "YES I was trained for this!" just as I was trained for manicure, pedicure and sculpted nails.

I contacted Nail Harmony and they said they were "looking" to provide courses in my area with local stores... that was 2 months ago, still no news... it's very disappointing.

How do you suggest we book classes if they are none offered in our living area? Shellac and Gelish are both on sale in professionals stores, but I have yet been able to find ANY classes at all, within 2 hours drive of where I live. It's a bit annoying. I've been using the products on myself and friends mostly as practice, and I would love to get proper training, but it's not offered here...

Please don't take this the wrong way but if u want the training & its the best,travel won't and shouldnt be an issue in my opinion. Its just another step on the way to advancing and gettin to a standard ur happy and know is ur best level.

K-nails & another girl on here are from the Essex area and went all the way to Wales to receive help on there acrylics from a another SG member Tigi.

I intend on going over 2 hours to have gelish design training because its a very talented woman who's won competitions for her gel polish work, It's costing a fortune but its paramount in my opinion that it is done if I want to be the best I can be.

Im more then sure people have gone up or down the other end of the country some even go to other countries just for training. Not an obstacle at all the only thing preventing u is u.

Please don't take this the wrong way but if u want the training & its the best,travel won't and shouldnt be an issue in my opinion. Its just another step on the way to advancing and gettin to a standard ur happy and know is ur best level.

K-nails & another girl on here are from the Essex area and went all the way to Wales to receive help on there acrylics from a another SG member Tigi.

I intend on going over 2 hours to have gelish design training because its a very talented woman who's won competitions for her gel polish work, It's costing a fortune but its paramount in my opinion that it is done if I want to be the best I can be.

Im more then sure people have gone up or down the other end of the country some even go to other countries just for training. Not an obstacle at all the only thing preventing u is u.

I understand that. Mostly I'm just wondering why Nail Harmony likes to sell their products somewhere if they don't offer training close enough.

CND trains in Montreal, but Nail Harmony doesn't. If I want to train Gelish it's 5 hours drive and they don't offer classes on the weekend... With a job that rarely ever lets me take a day off, it's proving to be a bit difficult :S

I understand that. Mostly I'm just wondering why Nail Harmony likes to sell their products somewhere if they don't offer training close enough.

CND trains in Montreal, but Nail Harmony doesn't. If I want to train Gelish it's 5 hours drive and they don't offer classes on the weekend... With a job that rarely ever lets me take a day off, it's proving to be a bit difficult :S

Unfortunately I do not know the answer again like I said you have to work round the issues stopping u, whether it's waiting a while til u can have the day off it has to be done if u want the training for a specific brand otherwise I find it impossible how people particularly on here can complain about gel polishes & shellac having not gone to any type of training for the product. (again not aimed specifically at u) :)

I drove 4 hours to go and do a perfecting polish class with the fantastic Geeg. It was worth any amount of travel for me as I knew I would benefit greatly from it and I did and I would do it again. Have to agree with MissLB, if you want to do take classes to be the best, you have to do whatever it takes, even if that means extra cost and travel :wink2:

Completely agree - although unfortunately it's not exclusive to uv gel polishes, I guess the proliferation of problems with them is because they can be slightly easier to buy than professional l&p/gel products?

Just today I've seen a local salon advertising 'trendy nail wraps (MINX) for a £15' - that's just outright lying to the customer, they're definitely NOT minx - and another, mobile, technician offering (god love her) the most dreadful 'nail extensionz' I think I've ever seen for £20, with infills for £10. And they have clients :)eek:) who either obviously think that's how nail enhancements are supposed to look or aren't willing to pay the money for beautiful nails.

That's the problem; people jump on bandwagons, they see what's making money and they go for it, whether they're any good are it or not - I would be completely mortified if I thought the work I was turning out was sub-standard! I also noticed that when I did the shellac training (at the fingertips centre, a couple of weeks ago) there were a few of the girls who said that they hadn't been prepped properly. That is completely damaging to the reputation of shellac but there will always be those who like to cut corners to save money. Sadly.

I've said it before, and I'll say it till I'm blue in the face - train, train, train. And when you think you're done, train again. Keep your skills current and the clients WILL notice the difference.

Id like to go off on a slight tangent and ask everyone to think about this...clearly the gel polishes and the uv polishes are what is big in this industry right now, and for a long time various 'nail' kits & other salon service type kits have been available to buy in argos & boots, etc but now there are even more of these kits coming into our high street shops and on groupon etc... Gel polish and uv polish kits are not just lurking in the back of the Argos book anymore...They are there plain to see & hard to miss in many high street shops more so than ever I think....

Putting myself in the customers shoes... Wow a gel kit with a lamp, some colours & everything I need to do my nails myself at home... It says it's easy to do and everything I need is here in a package and for less than £100!

I have noticed recently that more and more of our customers at the salon are mentioning to me that they've seen this new gel polish kit in boots and it looks quite good OR so and so has bought one of those new kits.
A few people have asked me what I think to them as they were thinking of buying there daughter one & i a nutshell I think what thay are really trying to ask is... Why should i keep coming to you for this service when i can buy one of these new kits???

I would really like to know how everybody else is going to answer these questions effectively and get the point accross to the customer without sounding like your just scared of losing business?

i'd laugh and say it's not as easy as it looks... you can tell who colours their own hair can't you , well it'd be similiar with home gel kits.

I would just say, you won't see what I use in the high street and you won't be able to do it like I do either. But if you want to have a go, then knock yourself out! Lol

I absolutely agree!

Sent from my GT-I9000T using SalonGeek

I would just say, you won't see what I use in the high street and you won't be able to do it like I do either. But if you want to have a go, then knock yourself out! Lol

Amen!

I'm not having any problems with these products, so it's not about asking questions, why it peels, comes off, etc.... I've had my current Gelish manicure on for 2 weeks and it still looks fantastic.

I'd just really love to get into a training class and be able to say "YES I was trained for this!" just as I was trained for manicure, pedicure and sculpted nails.

I contacted Nail Harmony and they said they were "looking" to provide courses in my area with local stores... that was 2 months ago, still no news... it's very disappointing.

Just like MissLB, I too mean no offense but if you want something YOU will make it happen, no matter what.
I know you say the training is miles away and too far to travel but look at it this way.............
Say your best best best friend was getting married and she was having the wedding/reception at a town that was 4 hrs drive away, you would (or you should considering it's your best best friend) drive to attend her wedding....why? because it's important to her and you for you to be there.

So now put this thought into the training and understand how important it is for YOUR career and I'm sure you would see that really 2 hrs drive is not really too much effort for something so important.

The current attitude that is around no-a-days of "I want X,Y or Z but by geez, I'm NOT prepared to do anything/much to get it, I want it to come to me or I want others to provide it for me in an easy way" is not going to get anybody anything they really want or should have.

Like with ANYTHING in life, if you want it bad enough, then you will go get it:)

Here's another view on this subject:) ..............
Harmony is a company and at the end of the day like ANY company, they look at many different aspects of their business and this includes training, no company is going to offer training in small towns/areas where the demand in not high, instead they pick a central location that will cover many areas cause they know if people want it, they will travel to get it.
If a company offered training in every town, the cost of products we buy would sky rocket through the roof, cause somehow all this needs to be paid for and it's the consumer who pays, so instead they offer it in a central location where many areas can access it IF they want too and the costs are kept with in reach for all concerned.

:Love:

Last edited:
Yeah I know that and you know that but I'm not sure it's enough to just basically say " I'm a professional..I've been trained you haven't, my products are the best.. Those products are rubbish"
Trying to put myself into their shoes I'm sure they are going to be sat there thinking..."yeah your bound to say that aren't you!"

I tried to explain to someone yesterday why I didn't think it was a good idea to buy her 16 year old daughter one... I sort of found myself starting to waffle.. Giving the points already mentioned plus the over exposure risks etc but I'm sure she was sat there thinking "ok calm down dear it's only a bit if gel polish ... It's basically like polish what harm can it do really!"
Of course .. She wants a professional looking job and will I'm sure continue to come to me for that but she probably won't be too concerned if her 16 year old daughter or all her daughters mates have a professional looking job or not will she really

Yeah I know that and you know that but I'm not sure it's enough to just basically say " I'm a professional..I've been trained you haven't, my products are the best.. Those products are rubbish"
Trying to put myself into their shoes I'm sure they are going to be sat there thinking..."yeah your bound to say that aren't you!"

I tried to explain to someone yesterday why I didn't think it was a good idea to buy her 16 year old daughter one... I sort of found myself starting to waffle.. Giving the points already mentioned plus the over exposure risks etc but I'm sure she was sat there thinking "ok calm down dear it's only a bit if gel polish ... It's basically like polish what harm can it do really!"
Of course .. She wants a professional looking job and will I'm sure continue to come to me for that but she probably won't be too concerned if her 16 year old daughter or all her daughters mates have a professional looking job or not will she really

You can't do anymore than you did, is all you can do is explain the benefits on having yourself/a pro do them and the risks the 'home job' products will more than likely cause.
If they are still determined to purchase a home kit, then so be it, they will just have to learn the hard way.
Then you have to make yourself available for when they return to you cause they can't get the same pro looking result themselves:)

Latest posts

Back