UV gel nails in Vietnamese nail salons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LahNails

Reaction score
Hello fellow geeks, I'm coming to your from Toronto, Canada ! Not sure if there are too many other fellow Canadian geeks on here but I'm sure the UK geeks will have a good answer for me as always :) now, back to my topic, I recently had been into a nail salon for a meeting with a new owner of a Vietnamese nail salon and she asked me to look around see what was ok to keep and what to throw out .. I came across a crystal dish labeled "UV gel" but it was powder .. I may be a little confused as to what product they are using when they say UV gel as it is a l&p .. Same with solar gel nails , what is it really ?! Is it the same product they use for "acrylic" nails and just price it all different to the uneducated client ? I don't want to seem like I'm bashing Vietnamese nail salons but I think I need some clarification as to what they are using for my own information too, when I have clients coming in saying they have gel and need a fill I don't know to use a gel or a l&p ?? Just a side note to this topic so everyone knows, in canada you dont have to be a registered nail technician to work in a salon or even own a salon, I'm not sure if it's the same in the UK but canada has many issues with the Asian nail owners who have no education in nail technology hence many diseases and poor nail care some clients claim to get after going to one of these salons.

Geeks I need your opinion/help/knowledge !

Thanks !

Lisa

Rather than referring to Vietnamese salons, which could be construed as being racist (although I appreciate this is not your intention), the industry term for salons using unprofessional products and practices are called NNS or Non Standard Salons.

There are many Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese who are well trained professionals in the beauty industry, just as there are many non oriental therapists who have no proper or professional training and are happy to make a fast buck using harmful and sloppy methods.

I have worked in a salon owned by Vietnamese. They used a powder gel from LeChat named gelee. They used their liquid that they used with regular acrylic with it. And then used glaze n go top coat. As far as the gel solar nails I'm not sure. I only know of CND making a L&P of solar nails.

Rather than referring to Vietnamese salons, which could be construed as being racist (although I appreciate this is not your intention), the industry term for salons using unprofessional products and practices are called NNS or Non Standard Salons.

There are many Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese who are well trained professionals in the beauty industry, just as there are many non oriental therapists who have no proper or professional training and are happy to make a fast buck using harmful and sloppy methods.

I think the OP referred to a Vietnamese salon as it was a Vietnamese salon (i.e. owned and run by Vietnamese) There is absolutely no reason that this is racist. It is a fact and there is nothing wrong with that! To correct her and say that it should be referred to as an NNS is wrong.

It obviously isn't an NNS now (if ever) as the owner is trying to clarify terminology and products.

I think it sounds like a difference in terminology that is geographical. (having just judged at the Nailympics it was clear that different countries have different terminology)

The only think to look out for is MMA. Otherwise I think there is nothing too wrong with calling their services whatever they want to. Many call l&p gel because it forms a gel. The UV bit shouldn't be used if no UV is used in the curing

Hello fellow geeks, I'm coming to your from Toronto, Canada ! Not sure if there are too many other fellow Canadian geeks on here but I'm sure the UK geeks will have a good answer for me as always :) now, back to my topic, I recently had been into a nail salon for a meeting with a new owner of a Vietnamese nail salon and she asked me to look around see what was ok to keep and what to throw out .. I came across a crystal dish labeled "UV gel" but it was powder .. I may be a little confused as to what product they are using when they say UV gel as it is a l&p .. Same with solar gel nails , what is it really ?! Is it the same product they use for "acrylic" nails and just price it all different to the uneducated client ? I don't want to seem like I'm bashing Vietnamese nail salons but I think I need some clarification as to what they are using for my own information too, when I have clients coming in saying they have gel and need a fill I don't know to use a gel or a l&p ?? Just a side note to this topic so everyone knows, in canada you dont have to be a registered nail technician to work in a salon or even own a salon, I'm not sure if it's the same in the UK but canada has many issues with the Asian nail owners who have no education in nail technology hence many diseases and poor nail care some clients claim to get after going to one of these salons.

Geeks I need your opinion/help/knowledge !

Thanks !

Lisa

I think the OP referred to a Vietnamese salon as it was a Vietnamese salon (i.e. owned and run by Vietnamese) There is absolutely no reason that this is racist. It is a fact and there is nothing wrong with that! To correct her and say that it should be referred to as an NNS is wrong.

It obviously isn't an NNS now (if ever) as the owner is trying to clarify terminology and products.

I think it sounds like a difference in terminology that is geographical. (having just judged at the Nailympics it was clear that different countries have different terminology)

The only think to look out for is MMA. Otherwise I think there is nothing too wrong with calling their services whatever they want to. Many call l&p gel because it forms a gel. The UV bit shouldn't be used if no UV is used in the curing
I think I misunderstood from the out set the OP's post and I apologise. There is absolutely nothing racist about Vietnamese salons and I thought I had clarified that. Obviously not.

Thanks you for pointing that out.

Good morning all

Sorry for butting in the middle of this thread.
I am trying to research what Vietnamese/Chinese use for their nail extensions from acrylics/gel to colour and gloss please

Kindest regards
Ally

@alisongrimshaw this thread is 9 years old and sadly most of the members have left

In answer to your question it's impossible to know without asking the specific salon, some import products from their home country so they are not readily available. Some, disappointingly, are poor quality, super cheap, mass produced products that are made with questionable ingredients.

@alisongrimshaw this thread is 9 years old and sadly most of the members have left

In answer to your question it's impossible to know without asking the specific salon, some import products from their home country so they are not readily available. Some, disappointingly, are poor quality, super cheap, mass produced products that are made with questionable ingredients.
Thank you it’s just when clients come to me and ask for it thin like the Chinese/Vietnamese salons. I don’t know if it’s acrylic, gel, dip. I would like to know how they apply it so thin & strong

Because they use a product containing MMA, it's super strong but a carcinogenic and not really for use in nail products. If you use the search facility on here or try Google for some up to date info

Latest posts

Back