UV Gel Paint - How many kinds are out there, and what are your thoughts on them?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
UV Gel Paint interests me GREATLY.
I first saw it in use at VivCat-Canada back in October. "The One" by ONS.
Loved it!!
Have since learned of the ones by Sam Biddle, and also Mosaic by Viis.

What other kinds are out there?
Has anyone compared them?
Can they be used on Shellac (or similar)?
What are your thoughts?

For those not in the 'know'; it's not a polish hybrid or whatnot. It's not a coloured uv gel. It's a UV Gel PAINT. You use it as you would Acrylic paint or polish when doing art, but it cures under UV light. It's very highly pigmented. A little goes a long way.

Thanks!

have you tried the mosaic pure gold... love it.
i have used several of the mosaic colours over the maniq clear and topped with maniq top coat and it wore perfectly.

Thanks for sharing!

I have thought of using the one young nails has but I haven't gotten any yet

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using SalonGeek

I've had my eye on the Y/N paints, Greg uses them to do a butterfly design on you tube, youngnailsinc channel, pigment and consistency looks good :D

For those not in the 'know'; it's not a polish hybrid or whatnot. It's not a coloured uv gel. It's a UV Gel PAINT. You use it as you would Acrylic paint or polish when doing art, but it cures under UV light. It's very highly pigmented. A little goes a long way.

Sounds interesting...

i havent used them yet. but when i have more money mark my words i will get them! lol but the thing i dont like is that u have to mix the colors.. i want gold and silver and like idk pink? but i havent seen it. also i heard you can use the igel from ons to paint too

I've had my eye on the Y/N paints, Greg uses them to do a butterfly design on you tube, youngnailsinc channel, pigment and consistency looks good :D

I hadn't heard of those. Thanks for letting me know.

i havent used them yet. but when i have more money mark my words i will get them! lol but the thing i dont like is that u have to mix the colors.. i want gold and silver and like idk pink? but i havent seen it. also i heard you can use the igel from ons to paint too

What do you mean? I'm not entirely sure that we're talking about the same thing. You 'can' mix the ones by ONS & Sam, and by VIIS, BUT you don't have to. I know ONS & VIIS have several different colours.

But like with most things in this industry, involving colours - we always end up mixing colours at one point or another. Not that big of a deal.

Just checked out Young Nails.
If this is the product you were talking about, I don't think I'm sold...
http://www.youngnails.com/product-i15544-c38-g8-b0-p0-Red_Gel_Paint_15g.aspx

it reads "
Gel paints can be used just like polish on both fingers and toes. They're great for art, too, and should be applied in two thin coats. Allow the first coat to cure for one minute. Apply the second coat and cure for a full two minutes. Finally, apply Finish Gel for seal and shine."

Not only are the colours minimal and just the primaries, they require TWO coats!! No thanks. Not suitable for art.

The ones by ONS and by VISS can give you opaque coverage in one shot, applied thinly.

Viv Simmonds or Catherine Wong (sorry, can't remember which) did this nail using ONS uv gel paints and only 'one' coat of colour. Blending and whatever as they went along, just as with Acrylic paints BUT WITHOUT the drying time. It also appeared to me that they were applied much more thinly than Acrylic regular paints and they are VERY highly pigmented.:
301329_294209390607700_100000559231990_1125205_827494361_n.jpg

And this:
299145_294209323941040_100000559231990_1125202_882556817_n.jpg

THIS is what I want to do!!
:D

I have the YN colours too and don't use them much. i think they're just too plain. for nail art, the mosaic are very rich and they shimmer, yummy..
and go a long long way.
crystal nails do a great range of coloured gels and paints, the have a giga pigment range which again is very rich . their variety is brillant

I know this is a fairly old thread, but have you tried first gel? It is one stroke gel paint, I posted a critique recently called spring fever where I have used these paints.

the website I have bought it from is this: FIRST GEL

Latest posts

Back