UV gel running

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fludette

Reaction score
Good evening, I am newly qualified nail technician and beauty therapist. I am REALLY struggling with my uv gel application. As I'm applying it, it keeps running. I have tried a couple of different brands, (NSI, purity pink by pure nails) they are both builder heels, with no improvement. I've tried not putting too much on and building it in layers but it's still running, I've tried flash curing it, still runs. If anyone can recommend a thick consistency gel? Can ANYONE HELP PLEASE PLEASE, thank you.

Good evening, I am newly qualified nail technician and beauty therapist. I am REALLY struggling with my uv gel application. As I'm applying it, it keeps running. I have tried a couple of different brands, (NSI, purity pink by pure nails) they are both builder heels, with no improvement. I've tried not putting too much on and building it in layers but it's still running, I've tried flash curing it, still runs. If anyone can recommend a thick consistency gel? Can ANYONE HELP PLEASE PLEASE, thank you.

Perhaps before we go any further, it would be sensible to ask if you are you using the correct and compatible lamps to those particular gel systems you have mentioned?

Perhaps before we go any further, it would be sensible to ask if you are you using the correct and compatible lamps to those particular gel systems you have mentioned?
Thank you, I am using a lamp I purchased off amazon, I understand that certain gels require their brand lamps, but the problem I'm having is not that the gel isn't curing, it's the fact it's running as I'm applying it. Once it's under the lamp, it is curing, but by that point its ran.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210611-213405_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210611-213405_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 17
Why on earth are you buying lamps off Amazon if you’re a qualified tech? Are you buying unbranded gels too?

The gel might feel hard to the touch but if you’re using a non-branded matching lamp, I can assure you that it isn’t properly cured. Yes, it hardens at about 55% cure, but isn’t fully cured and therefore, you’re risking your clients health carrying on like that. It’s like feeding undercooked chicken to your guests. You surely wouldn’t knowingly do that?

Please read this thread.
https://www.salongeek.com/threads/u...-just-won’t-do-updated-september-2019.323988/

Why on earth are you buying lamps off Amazon if you’re a qualified tech? Are you buying unbranded gels too?

The gel might feel hard to the touch but if you’re using a non-branded matching lamp, I can assure you that it isn’t properly cured. Yes, it hardens at about 55% cure, but isn’t fully cured and therefore, you’re risking your clients health carrying on like that. It’s like feeding undercooked chicken to your guests. You surely wouldn’t knowingly do that?

Please read this thread.
https://www.salongeek.com/threads/u...-just-won’t-do-updated-september-2019.323988/
Good morning, Thank you for your reply, whilst I appreciate your help, I'm sure you could of been a little more polite with you answer. As stated I am newly qualified, I have not currently got a client base yet as I wanted to be fully happy with my application and final product before doing so. Hence me asking for help. I have qualified during the pandemic which wasn't ideal as we couldn't have as many attempts on real people. In response to your statement about using branded lamps, yes I will be using the lamp that goes with the brand that I decide to use, that is why I'm asking for help, to try and find a brand that I can work with. I can not afford to, nor would it be practical to be buying a lamp for each product that I try. Thank you again for your reply.

It’s a chicken and egg situation. You have to use the branded lamp with the gel system. There’s no point buying different brands and using one lamp to cure them all. That won’t work as you risk giving yourself an allergy for life so you will have to decide which brand to buy and buy the matching lamp. Didn’t your course tutor stress the importance of using the right equipment to avoid becoming allergic? If they didn’t, I’d seriously question the quality of your training as this is one of the most basic and essential bits of knowledge you need to become a successful tech.

Please read the thread I linked to and the one below.

https://www.scratchmagazine.co.uk/n...cured-product-has-led-to-an-allergy-epidemic/

Gels are available with different viscosities. Some have a low viscosity (are thin) and will run, others are high viscosity and will sit on the nail until you push it to shape. And other viscosities in-between. My company produces low, medium and high viscosity gels for this reason, and that it is a personal preference.

I think tje warmth affects the viscosity too, inuse the gel bottle and i find that good. I also use the ‘sun’ LED lamp which wAs identical to the gel bottle lamp making me think its probably the same manufacturer.

I think tje warmth affects the viscosity too, inuse the gel bottle and i find that good. I also use the ‘sun’ LED lamp which wAs identical to the gel bottle lamp making me think its probably the same manufacturer.

But not necessarily emitting same light spectrum range therefore not definitely curing, likely only hardening.

Last edited:
The polish will follow the base. Make sure the clear base coat doesn’t touch any skin.
Also, in my experience it helps to stir the polish, scraping the pigments off the bottom of the bottle. More pigment equals higher viscosity.

But not necessarily emitting same light spectrum range therefore not definitely curing, likely only hardening.
Ahhh ok. How would you be able to tell?

Ahhh ok. How would you be able to tell?

You can't, that's why you should use the lamp specifically advised by your supplier. Their products will have been specifically matched. Any product that says it cures in a 'universal' lamp is a 'no-no' - there is no such thing as a universal lamp

The Pinned Post in Nails regarding lamps will explain in more detail

Did you not learn about the viscosity of different gels in your course?

Please email the manufacturer with your concerns. They know their product best and will likely welcome the opportunity to scout out your difficulties with their product.

in 2010 I emailed 10 manufacturers with a common concern, but only heard back from 2.

With the advent of dozens of new brands flooding the market, I would expect better response now.

Your question kind of got lost here. Gel is runny, that's how it is. You need to work fast with gel so that is does not run into the cuticle and fall off the nail. It's a practice thing. You could also look for training on Poppits, and Polygel as they make the application so much easier.
You do need the correct equipment and whilst we understand that you are starting out, the advice here is professional and given only to protect you and your clients.

I do a really really thin coat first, but don't cure. This uncured layer acts like a guide and should help the gel stop flooding, then add another solid coat, then cure. Also try tipping the free edge down, so gravity keeps it away from the cuticle. While your still practicing and trying to gain speed, work on one or two fingers at a time then cure.

Perhaps you could upload a video so we can see what's happening?

Last edited:
I know it's super frustrating.
Watching others do it with the brand I use has helped me with practise. Work fast and accurately. Flash cure and learn to manipulate the gel to your doing.
Also. I'm dirt poor. Living off disability benefits and debt. So when I started my nail career, I couldn't afford the correct gels and lamp. But I chose to practise with what I could afford on a plastic hand whilst wearing gloves. My course was government funded and highly rated but my tutor didn't teach me about correct lamps or overexposure, only this forum and YouTube opened my eyes. I'm newly qualified too.

Hi @Fludette @Medels Nails and welcome. As you are new you won’t know that AcidPerm used to be a nail tech and was forced to leave an Industry she loved due to allergies. Concern can be misunderstood sometimes so I hope that’s helpful to know.

Cheap unbranded gel isn’t worth practising with I’m afraid. You need to pick a brand to train with and pay for a one day course after you have your manicure qualification. Brands are very active on social media and there are industry magazines such as Scratch. Find out where the trainers are and what it costs to train, some brands offer one day courses with all materials provided, others require you to invest a certain amount of money. That often helps you decide on the brand.

You need to look at the brands that your nearby competitors use, maybe there’s a gap in the market for a different brand, maybe you want to cling to the coat tails of established salons and say “I use that brand too”. There are pros and cons.

Training accessibility, marketing factors, price, these are the factors you use to decide upon a brand, not how it paints.

Maybe book a manicure with a tech using a brand you’re considering, if it’s a big salon and you get a junior - ask the tech how she likes the product. For instance I’ve heard OPI and Artistic salons say they don’t like the gel brush, I’m sure there’s nothing wrong with the brush but maybe it doesn’t suit the hand of someone inexperienced. With any brand, teaching yourself or “cascade” training (you’re trained in salon by someone trained, who isn’t actually a qualified brand trainer) is a sure way to experience issues. If your local salon has nail techs that don’t love the brand - maybe you want to steer clear OR maybe you want to invest in the training and steal the business that they don’t care enough about to invest in! As I said, pros and cons.

Artistic is easy to remove whilst Cuccio is tough. Bio Sculpture is a dream to paint with (Evo) and remove but it’s twice the price of other brands. All brand trainers are passionate, very knowledgeable and helpful. They’ll give you tips on tools and application.

I’ve trained with Artistic, Cuccio and Bio Sculpture and loved the training each time. Artistic is great, good colours, easy application and wear, good price, and easy to remove, I was seduced by Cuccio because I wanted matching gels and polish at a time when Artistic didn’t have these and Artistic didn’t have any trainers near me for ages which was an issue for me when my salon was expanding. I don’t love Cuccio as much as I did because their colours don’t seem quite right for my clients. I don’t have all the reds and corals and nudes that I want and they are often out of stock of colours that I need for long periods. I do love their mani/pedi products thoigh. Oh my!

I love Bio Sculpture Evo. It’s twice the price of every other brand but the colours, application wear and support are outstanding. It’s very expensive to invest in - but it means that everyone you meet is well trained and invested in the brand and it therefore has an excellent rep.

as for flooding - gravity! Control the hand and the finger, if you tilt your hand to check the application before you cure you’ll flood the cuticles every time.

as for flooding - gravity! Control the hand and the finger, if you tilt your hand to check the application before you cure you’ll flood the cuticles every time.

yes, I trained all techs to use their hands and arms fluidly. Never, ever use the desk to prop your arm or steady your hand. Never, ever let the client plant their hand so it cannot be easily maneuvered. Raise the client hand and nail to look at it from all sides before curing or finishing. It takes 2 seconds to check.

Latest posts

Back