UV gels melted?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clairgill

Reaction score
Hi,

Just looking for some advice. I saw a new client on Friday- she had white tips with a clear gel overlay. I fully prepped the nail and double primed the natural nail. I'm currently using Salon Services gel- changing to NSI on 7th August as I don't like Salon Services products but they did my conversion course from acrylics to gel. Anyhow, I applied three layers of clear gel, cured appropriately, there was no gel on the nail walls or around the cuticles and I sealed the free edge. The client has messaged me today saying her nails all came off- she wondered if it had been the heat, but I don't think this can be the case. The nails came of whole apparently. She had been at the beach yesterday and used sun lotion. Please help, I've not had any problems like this with any other client. Thank you in advance x

Call her and ask her if her sun lotion has DEET in it - it's an insect repellent and would be listed in the ingredients.

That will dissolve many plastics, and CERTAINLY damages acrylic nails!

Thank you. Will it damage UV gel as well?

You really need to see her nails first. If there is no signs of 'client interference', i.e. picking etc, (which should show up as some damage on the nail plate and maybe bits of gel left) and the nail plate is perfectly clean with no damage, then I'm afraid it's something you did.

You can't tell until you see them. You obviously know what could cause nails to lift (touching the side wall etc). Once nails have bonded correctly to the surface of the nail plate thigs like heat and sun cream shouldn't affect that bond. I have heard that deet in insect repellent can cause some products to lift.

As a general comment, there shouldn't be any need to prime twice unless the nails have real trouble keeping overlays on

Thank you. Will it damage UV gel as well?

In answer to that one, it is less likely to damage a hard gel as it isn't permeable.

Call her and ask her if her sun lotion has DEET in it - it's an insect repellent and would be listed in the ingredients.

That will dissolve many plastics, and CERTAINLY damages acrylic nails!

Before calling to ask the question I would suggest that the nails need to be seen first. It's easy to say yes to the if the client is just after a refund or freebie when they know they have picked them :eek:

Just wanted to mention you shouldn't really be using white tips with gel as doesn't cure properly, should be clear tips and then paint the white or use pink and white gel.

Deet in suntan lotion can def cause an issue and I've also had a client last year who went to Mexico, never has problems went to hot country and within 2 days they started lifting, when she came back i did a new set and no probs was very odd lol

Last edited:
Just wanted to mention you shouldn't really be using white tips with gel as doesn't cure properly

Interested - Is this a proven fact??

Just wanted to mention you shouldn't really be using white tips with gel as doesn't cure properly

Interested - Is this a proven fact??

I haven't done my gel training yet but had a taster course at the Event, the CND EA told us to only use clear tips so I would assume they have tested it and made sure white tips aren't appropriate. I suppose the white tips are opaque so that must cause a problem? :-S

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will clear it up :)

Just wanted to mention you shouldn't really be using white tips with gel as doesn't cure properly, should be clear tips and then paint the white or use pink and white gel.

Deet in suntan lotion can def cause an issue and I've also had a client last year who went to Mexico, never has problems went to hot country and within 2 days they started lifting, when she came back i did a new set and no probs was very odd lol

Thanks. My training used both the white tips and natural tips and I've never had any issues with curing etc. I've done about 20 sets of white tip extensions in the last three months. my personal preference is natural tips and hand painting the French effect with gel but some clients want white tips with gel overlay as its cheaper. Thank you though x

I have always been told that for gel so it cures properly you should use clear tips, tho gel is hard with white tips its not necessarily cured 100%

To my knowledge, using white gel or acrylic is the 'cnd' way. (Thats how I was trained) White tips are quicker obviously but I think they like U to use white gel or acrylic as it is more technically skilled. I stopped doin this soon after tho as tips are so much quicker and I've never had any problems.

To my knowledge, using white gel or acrylic is the 'cnd' way. (Thats how I was trained) White tips are quicker obviously but I think they like U to use white gel or acrylic as it is more technically skilled. I stopped doin this soon after tho as tips are so much quicker and I've never had any problems.

Why would you use white tips if you can sculpt the smile line and make the nail look more balanced and nicer looking??

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I was taught this originally by non CND training, tho yes I am CND trained on some things.

I used to use nsi balance gels and either used pink and white or clear, over clear tips and if using clear gel and French was required I either used shellac or Gelish or a the time opi (vinylux wasn't around then) especially if a nail bite or short nails.

I was told to make sure a full cure was done it was advised to use clear tips.

Personally now I rarely use tips anyway as I sculpt, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I also know from personal experience heat can affect gels, I had Swarovski crystals on my little finger and after few days in the hot sun, the crystals somehow had slipped into the gel, so hardly any of the crystals was standing out they were nearly smooth to the touch, as if I'd I bedded them in the gel.

Why would you use white tips if you can sculpt the smile line and make the nail look more balanced and nicer looking??

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Oh maybe I'm lazy but why bother with all the extra time, hassle and product especially when clients aren't really bothered how u do it as long as it looks fab! L&p are a nightmare when it comes to French infills, sooo much filing the white off u may as well do a new set!. The only time I would do if I was in a competition. I concentrate my time on nail art with gel bcos that can take longer depending on what they want! Most of my clients hav that.

But white tips don't suit every nail! How can nails look 'fab' when the smile line is half way down the nail bed!!?

Manufactures of UV gel have said that there is not a complete cure without clear tips. That's enough for me

But white tips don't suit every nail! How can nails look 'fab' when the smile line is half way down the nail bed!!?

Manufactures of UV gel have said that there is not a complete cure without clear tips. That's enough for me

Sorry I didn't explain! I don't use white on everyone! Where they hav short nail beds etc I advise natural tips then either they hav full colour or I paint gel French on. :)

Latest posts

Back