UV lamp question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bravegirl

Reaction score
Hey I noticed there were a lot of threads on here about uv lamps and LEDs but I couldn't find an answer that went with my question! As of Friday evening I was talkin to my good friend who's mom has offered to tutor me a little in gel nails and a little i acrylics before I go do a course. Now she told him I would need my own lamp as all her girls have there own, now I already have a nailene lamp my mom purchased me when I told her I saved enough to do my course but I'm afraid that it won't be good enough to cure the gel they use, which is opi and lcn , what do you guys think? It's a 36 watt lamp which is what they use, am I worried over nothing or do I need a 300 lamp? I will begin going in next weekend at her home to learn some basics before anything I won't be doing clients nails but will be using her nail trainer, working by her to learn! I am so excited

I think you should double check with the tutor if this lamp is suitable. I haven't heard of a Nailene lamp, but I am in the UK maybe that is a Canadian brand.
Most Gel systems state they cure with a 36 watt lamp. Some systems like CND though will only cure with their own lamp due to UV output and bulb placement.
Maybe check out LCN and OPI websites to see what they recommend for the exact products you will be using, which is again information you would need to get from your tutor.
Hope this helps and good luck, until you have actually started your training though and updated your profile this thread belongs in consumer queries, so I shall move it there.

any body? i want to make sure i am prepared for next weekend!

Last edited:
Ummmm Yes Izzidoll gave you some very helpful advice !

the lamp is a 36 watt lamp but im afraid that the lamp wont be good enough as it is a drugstore lamp! i havnt opened it or anything as i am not sure if i should. now looking from what i have been reading OPI recommends there lamps and so on for LCN, which they would. thats why i am wondering if anyone has used a none gel brand name lamps for the good gel till i get good enough at it to get a really good lamp? i have been looking at the opi uv gel lamps for later on just want to double check

the nailene lamp from shopper's cures their brand of gel. If you go into Shopper's you'll see the nailene gel hanging on the racks beside the lamp. I'm not sure about LCN if it will cure with any 36w uv lamp but I know that OPI recommends you use their uv or led lamp with their products. Call her and ask what LCN recommends.

im going to now Wednesday, shes not in till then. i am thinking about returning it and looking for an OPI lamp, i was just hoping for now i could use a cheaper one while im learning and then invest in a better one later on but i guess i might not be able to! i got a lot to learn but i can not wait

the problem is that you won't be able to buy an OPI lamp until you've qualified. You should be getting a lamp from your school (included in your course tuition) or from your 1-on-1 tutor. Then once you're qualified you can buy from your local suppliers.

i dont think it would hurt though because the uv lamp by opi is 2x 9 watt bulbs so thats 18 watts where as the nailene is 36 watt. so wouldnt it cure it faster or about the same or am i missing something?

right now i will have a 1 on 1 tutor and then start school, but she has offered to give me some knowledge before i go to do a course. which i am so grateful because she is a wonderful woman.

Latest posts

Back