UV protection gloves?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicklg

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Can I ask your opinion on the risk of regular exposure to UV from lamps on clients hands? I’ve been looking into some of the protective manicure gloves and wondered if anyone had any experience or thoughts on them? And (probably stupid question) would I be right in thinking that LED lamps pose less of a risk? Thank you! X

Hands are only under the lamp for a minute at a time. Base coat 2/3 colour and top coat which gives a total on 5 minutes.
This isn’t going to harm your client, however if they are a regular and are that concerned about uv/ led exposure they can put suncream on there hands (not the nail!) before hand and this will protect them for any possible exposure.

Thank you- I’ve read quite a few articles and appreciate the risks seems to be negligible but thought it would be a nice thing to offer. Just wondered what everyone thought on here.

Thank you- I’ve read quite a few articles and appreciate the risks seems to be negligible but thought it would be a nice thing to offer. Just wondered what everyone thought on here.

Clients spend more time in UV light walking to the salon than actually under the light, i think offering gloves gives the impression there's some thing to worry about.

A good point- thank you!

All of this scare comes from on article written by two dermatologists who claimed that UV lamps were potentially unsafe. Other dermatologists and a celebrity Doctor, then jumped on the bandwagon.

Even if, in the highly unlikely possibility, a client developed a skin cancer on a hand, how could anyone prove that it was a UV lamp, rather than daylight or the flourescent lights in an office that caused this? It is unprovable. This is where the original article falls into the realm of fantasy and should never have been published.

Below is a segment from an interesting article I found that compares nail salon UV lamps with a Narrow Band UV-B skin treatment routinely performed by....DERMATOLOGISTS!

"We elected to compare UV nail lamp irradiance* with exposure of narrowband UVB (NBUVB) used for phototherapy. NBUVB is a commonly used dermatological treatment, viewed as low risk, although not as zero risk.

To achieve the same UV exposure as one course of NBUVB treatments, would need over 250 years of weekly UV nail salon exposure. Our study of three UV nail lamps reveals that such exposure is a tiny fraction of a single NBUVB course, and hence does not produce a clinically significant increased risk of developing skin cancer."

Source: Risk of Skin Cancer Associated with the Use of UV Nail Lamp
Journal of Investigative Dermatology (2013)

*UV irradiance is the amount of UV light energy that falls on a surface of know size. Similar to brightness.

All of this scare comes from on article written by two dermatologists who claimed that UV lamps were potentially unsafe. Other dermatologists and a celebrity Doctor, then jumped on the bandwagon.

Even if, in the highly unlikely possibility, a client developed a skin cancer on a hand, how could anyone prove that it was a UV lamp, rather than daylight or the flourescent lights in an office that caused this? It is unprovable. This is where the original article falls into the realm of fantasy and should never have been published.

Below is a segment from an interesting article I found that compares nail salon UV lamps with a Narrow Band UV-B skin treatment routinely performed by....DERMATOLOGISTS!

"We elected to compare UV nail lamp irradiance* with exposure of narrowband UVB (NBUVB) used for phototherapy. NBUVB is a commonly used dermatological treatment, viewed as low risk, although not as zero risk.

To achieve the same UV exposure as one course of NBUVB treatments, would need over 250 years of weekly UV nail salon exposure. Our study of three UV nail lamps reveals that such exposure is a tiny fraction of a single NBUVB course, and hence does not produce a clinically significant increased risk of developing skin cancer."

Source: Risk of Skin Cancer Associated with the Use of UV Nail Lamp
Journal of Investigative Dermatology (2013)

*UV irradiance is the amount of UV light energy that falls on a surface of know size. Similar to brightness.
Bob hi,
Thank you so much for replying. I have read quite a few articles discussing both sides of the argument. That’s why this forum is brilliant as it allows to hear professional viewpoints and learn from them.

I've only ever seen these gloves pop up on eBay, predominantly shipped to you from Shenzhen... need I say more?

The brand I had been looking at were American and seemed reputable. They were also being retailed at a much higher price point than those made in China. I was just interested to see if anyone was using them. I wouldn’t dream of using any product that wasn’t credible, hence me coming on here to ask you guys! Your experience is far larger than mine! Thanks for replying x

I'm with Trinity on this one. Offering the gloves seems to imply that there is an issue, when there is not. I prefer to educate clients to the facts of the matter. I did have the gloves and kept them in plain sight in case a client wanted them (another thing to sanitize, btw). Once clients understood the issue, the gloves just sat there gathering dust.

That’s exactly what I was going to do, thanks for offering your experience. It does help.

Latest posts

Back