Valentine Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotnailz

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Plucked up courage to send this pic in!
Mostly white tips/clear overlay but one finger on each hand was clear tips and mixed clear/pink glitter tip with a white heart.

It was my first attempt at L&P design (very simple!) but I only did it on one finger on each hand otherwise I would've been there for hours!

My biggest problems are:
  1. Being cr*p at blending tips, so.....
  2. Usually using white tips instead of creating my own white smile lines, so.....
  3. The nail beds look too short and the white looks too far up the nail bed.
As you can see, I'm still a beginner, though got my VTCT back in June last year! Not much practise, but have booked onto CND conversion course in April - can't wait.

I was quite pleased with how they turned out (the heart ones, not the other ones).....wish I'd had the patience to do them all like that!
So, looking forward to your your critique - not only on the design on but how I can improve my white tip application. I heard somewhere that you can file tips down so the well is not so long. I tried that and ended up with horrible ragged smile lines!:eek:

Thankyou..xx

I think that the valantine one is very cute, I wouldnt wear it myself, but its nice:hug: . I hate blending tips too, and much perfer sculpting now because of this... have you thought about some one to one training to improve your blending technique, this could help a lot.:) Well done for being brave hun.:hug:

well as you said, they are not perfect. but there not horrific, i thought from your comments that they would be a lot worse. to be honest i've seen worst coming from salons.

i can see you have an eye for detail, both in the design and in the comments you made yourself. i'd say you have potential as realising your problems goes a long way towards solving them.

try to spend some practice time on tip blending and putting on white acrylic and you'll have more options for your clients.

Thanks, both of you. :hug:
Yes, I know I need practise and lots of it....don't have many people to practise on though! I'm really scared to practise tip blending on other people as I did it on myself and wrecked my nail plate on one of my index fingers! This blummin' tip would not blend and I just kept filing away without thinking. Before I knew it, I had a lovely thin spot on my natural nail that dipped a little when I pressed my finger on it!!:eek:

Suffice to say, I have zero confidence in that department now.

I am really looking forward to my CND course in April because I love doing nails and would love to be good at something!! LOl

Do you have a nail trainer?

These are invaluable, I use mine all the time!!

I think there is a picture in the gallery of a geeks work and it shows you her smiles when she first started out and now she is fab.

It takes a long time to perfect them smiles, I still have along way to go but it's such a great feeling when you finally get the hang of it.

Go on, give it a go!

Good luck hun!
Teri x:hug:

Im only down the road from you in bradford, your nails are not that bad at all, you can borrow my hands anytime you like to practise hun :hug:

Oh Lou, you are a star!:hug: .. i won't subject you to that just yet, chick! I may give you a shout in the future though.....

Teri, no I don't have a nail trainer - never really fancied one somehow. They kinda freak me out.....weird, I know.:o I stick cheap tips onto a plastic coat hook with a bit of Blutack (a hint I picked up on the site somewhere!) and practise my smile lines on those. My smile lines aren't too bad, it's the tip blending that gets me every time and you can't practise that on a trainer anyway.

Thanks girls. I'll keep practising on anyone I can get my hands on. It's going to be a long slog, though!!!:irked:

Oh Lou, you are a star!:hug: .. i won't subject you to that just yet, chick! I may give you a shout in the future though.....

Teri, no I don't have a nail trainer - never really fancied one somehow. They kinda freak me out.....weird, I know.:o I stick cheap tips onto a plastic coat hook with a bit of Blutack (a hint I picked up on the site somewhere!) and practise my smile lines on those. My smile lines aren't too bad, it's the tip blending that gets me every time and you can't practise that on a trainer anyway.

Thanks girls. I'll keep practising on anyone I can get my hands on. It's going to be a long slog, though!!!:irked:

Ah sorry Jane, I misunderstood you, not enough wine, or maybe too much:wink2: , I'd love to offer my hands too, Bless you Lou, don't worry if you got too close I'd let you know!!

Maybe you are the best person to practise on for the time being then hun, don't worry it will come.

Give me a shout whenever you like hun dont be shy i dont bite, i may be able to help you out with the blending problem too, always easier when shown rather than just told how, the offer is there for whenever :hug:

Ah sorry Jane, I misunderstood you, not enough wine, or maybe too much:wink2: , I'd love to offer my hands too, Bless you Lou, don't worry if you got too close I'd let you know!!

Maybe you are the best person to practise on for the time being then hun, don't worry it will come.

lol, thanks Teri...I'll keep going!
mwah...x

Give me a shout whenever you like hun dont be shy i dont bite, i may be able to help you out with the blending problem too, always easier when shown rather than just told how, the offer is there for whenever :hug:

Thanks Lou, I may drop you a line sometime, then. Youuu'lll be sorryyy.....lol:lol:

Thanks Lou, I may drop you a line sometime, then. Youuu'lll be sorryyy.....lol:lol:

what type of tips are you using . are you pre tailoring and pre blending them before adhering them to the natural nail ? it makes a world of difference.

sorry i dont know how to do links,but there are tutorials or threads on here somewhere.

what type of tips are you using . are you pre tailoring and pre blending them before adhering them to the natural nail ? it makes a world of difference.

sorry i dont know how to do links,but there are tutorials or threads on here somewhere.

Can't remember which tips I've got :o. Tried pre-blending but then tips just splay out when I put them on and look strange! I think I'm just going to wait til April and make lots of notes on my course!!

Thanks for your tips (lol, geddit....tips..<groan>)
xx

You most definitely can practice blending on a nail trainer...

Have a look at the tutorial Gigi did on thinning and blending tips, it should help you lots.
http://www.salongeek.com/finishing-maintenance/8358-file-control-part-2-thinning-blending-tips.html

hth's

Ooh Sandi, I've checked that out too, but a while back. I'll have another look at it though. I think it just comes down to practise and I'll really have to just try and build my confidence up. Thanks for your advice..:)

As for the nail trainer - I'll take your word for it!:Scared: .....just don't like them <shudder>
xxxxxxx

It does take a lot of practice with tip blending, don't get down over it get a trainer hand it really helps, promise.

Also keep going over Gigi's tutorial it is very helpfull she knows what she's talking about.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back