Vegan & cruelty free lash lifting products?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lgrah123

Reaction score
I've been vegan since January and I feel very strongly about it, so much so that I have realised that all of the products I use on clients (used to anyway, before covid) say they're cruelty free but actually still contain animal derived products and I will not be paying into these companies anymore.. however... I now have a predicament, lash lifting is one of my most popular treatments, next to waxing. But I'm finding it difficult choosing or rather, finding a brand which is both vegan AND cruelty free. Any info on this would be so much appreciated.
Thanks!
Lara

Try kalentin. Available from Alan Howard or directly from them.

Amazing! Thank you! X

Yumi lashes is vegan. They launched a new version in 2019 which was all vegan and the results are amazing.

Thank you, I'll look into them. I'm also thinking about introducing facials as I haven't before. I heard tropics is good and also vegan and cruelty free.. but also open to others

Tropics isn’t a professional skincare range. It’s pretty difficult to carve out a business applying products that others can easily buy for themselves. Your focus has to be about selling the products.

The main challenge is that skincare focussed brands won’t want to limit the products that they can use, they may be very ethical and refuse to use anything associated with animal cruelty, but it’s pretty difficult to ignore the traditional benefits of many animal based products.

It’s also about knowledge and transparency. For instance there are lots of trace ingredients that never make it on to an ingredient list and a small supplier may never truely know what’s actually in their raw ingredients. For instance if I ring up Environ and ask then if something is vegan, they’ll tell me that the beta carotene (a plant based ingredient) in their products is preserved with a product that can be made with both vegetarian and animal ingredients and it isn’t possible to analyse it to check for possible contamination. - it’s trace,,,and doesn’t come off a dedicated vegan supply chain so not even the manufacturer really knows what’s in it!

That sounds really weird, but imagine this, you buy oats, you imagine they are gluten free, but what if birds have dropped wheat seeds over the oat field - there might be gluten grains contaminating the oats. You imagine it’s vegan - but what if insects or mice are caught up in the harvesting or processing of the oats? There is a religion called Janism who are so careful to avoid harming other life that they won’t eat root crops in case harvesting harms tiny creatures (I have a friend who feels it’s ok to eat radishes and baby turnips smaller than a thumb) and all of this concern and care ignores the vital role animals play in pollinating our crops and keeping them healthy. Hardly anything would grow without worms and bees, insects and birds.

You might say that this it taking things to silly extremes, but ethically, if you need commercial beekeepers to pollinate almond orchards supplying vegan milk (a process that stresses the bees so much that it’s basically a bee Holocaust, because no animal naturally lives off a monoculture), is it immoral to harvest beeswax from those hives? Surely it’s up to the consumer to decide where they draw the line, not the producer to say what is and isn’t disclosed?

I am a fully vegan friendly salon, so all of my services have vegan options but I do carry a few cruelty free products with animal derived ingredients from suppliers I know and trust who are completely ethical and concerned to reduce their impact on the environment - because I am results focussed. I use vegan facial products across several well established brands - I know that many small brands labelled as vegan are simply clueless about their supply chain and imagine that the label on the tin tells them exactly what’s inside and that isn’t true of anything.

What an amazing and thorough answer, thank you so much and you've really made me think too. I'm vegan myself so I'm now questioning a lot.. may I ask, which facial products are you using? I am only a mobile therapist so I don't own a salon.. I guess that might impact whether they supply to businesses like mine

No problem. I’m one of those annoying people that can’t stop asking questions...I’ve got all sorts of random bits of knowledge squirrelled away in my brain.

I use Environ, who only supply you if you can buy a facial machine, so probably not quite right for you . I also use Dr Shrammek. They’re a German brand and the U.K. distributor is amazingly knowledgeable and thorough. None of their treatments are fully vegan, but German culture is very big on herbalism and organic farming so they are a good fit and they have enough vegan options that you can quietly adapt their Fresh Up facial to make it vegan. Their retail is dear, but their facials have sold amazingly well.

I also use Heaven by Deborah Mitchell. She invented the bee sting facial but her sister’s family are beekeepers so instead of harming bees as you imagine they actually live much longer and healthier lives (compared to normal commercial bees) when they are “milked” for their venom. Debbie’s an amazing person and her daughter is vegan. Debbie has been desperately formulating a vegan range which she managed last year.

I think you can just train in one facial and all her retail products are amazing, so I’d recommend them.

All of our products are cruelty free and most are also vegan friendly (we are actually registered with the vegan society) so we might be able to help if you have any questions regarding lash extension or lash lift products
Britta @flirties x

Latest posts

Back